Revised GRE (August and after)...

Anyone else taking the new revised GRE? New test starts August 1st.  Seems like they are taking antonyms and analogies out of the verbal, and switching up a few things on the math side.  I downloaded the practice material from the ETS website and took a timed practice test. Got approx 660 on Verbal and 760 on math.  Don't know how accurate that is though, it lets you review it afterwards and I got a lot wrong on the verbal.  Any new materials out to help study for this test?

Don't even want to think about it.....still got a year before I have to start studying though

man in all honesty i'm glad I took the old one...these newer versions of big name tests like the GRE are gonna suck for the first batch of people taking them...thats why their offering a discount for those who do take the august and september revised GRE tests. I went to a Kaplan info session and its gonna be an hour longer, your given a calculator which means the math is gonna be harder, and the test scores dont get back to you until november which is cutting it kinda close if you trying to apply to grad schools for next year.

I wish you the best of luck sundizzle. I just took my 2nd try at the old GRE this past tuesday and I got over 1000 which was better than my first go around. At most you should only take the GRE 3x.

Getting ready to take the GMAT in a couple weeks but that test doesnt change till next year thankfully!

Good, I hated the analogies on that test. There was no way to "study" for the verbal section before. Still bodied it though
 http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/****Yeah.jpg

Taking the new one this December, was originally shooting for Sept. or Oct., but I'll wait.

I'm a bit weary of even buying the "new" test material that's being put on the shelves since the test hasn't debuted yet.

Best of luck when you do take it.

sigh.... I need to get on this... I graduated last year and at this rate, I'll be holding off Grad School for a 2nd year. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

man in all honesty i'm glad I took the old one...these newer versions of big name tests like the GRE are gonna suck for the first batch of people taking them...thats why their offering a discount for those who do take the august and september revised GRE tests. I went to a Kaplan info session and its gonna be an hour longer, your given a calculator which means the math is gonna be harder, and the test scores dont get back to you until november which is cutting it kinda close if you trying to apply to grad schools for next year.

I wish you the best of luck sundizzle. I just took my 2nd try at the old GRE this past tuesday and I got over 1000 which was better than my first go around. At most you should only take the GRE 3x.
I understand your point.  However, it is moot I think.  It is not important what your score is, but rather what your percentile is.  If everyone is doing worse on the tests your percentile score will reflect that. 

I really don't want to have to take the GRE more than one time.  I am sick of studying already. 
laugh.gif

As to what kickstart said, there actually isn't even any material available for the new test.  That's my biggest problem. There is a $35 revised GRE book/software you can purchase from ETS.  I plan to get that a month before the test so I can gauge where I am.  Based on what I have seen the calculator doesn't mean the problems are really that much harder.  It seems more so that you spend less trying to do mental multiplication and division. 

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I understand your point.  However, it is moot I think.  It is not important what your score is, but rather what your percentile is.  If everyone is doing worse on the tests your percentile score will reflect that. 

I really don't want to have to take the GRE more than one time.  I am sick of studying already. 
laugh.gif

As to what kickstart said, there actually isn't even any material available for the new test.  That's my biggest problem. There is a $35 revised GRE book/software you can purchase from ETS.  I plan to get that a month before the test so I can gauge where I am.  Based on what I have seen the calculator doesn't mean the problems are really that much harder.  It seems more so that you spend less trying to do mental multiplication and division. 
True, percentile is the name of the game.  But I guess i'm lucky I got my test in there before Aug 1st.  Good luck to you guys on the new test.

I lucked out by not having to take the GRE to get into the graduate program at my school since I was already enrolled in the undergraduate program.

Taking it on August 8th. Scared to death. This Kaplan book has some good tips but its a lot of common sense stuff. The math has me %*!!%%+! bricks. 

I am also glad to take the old one, because I've heard the Revised GRE will increase the portion of reading.
English is not my mother tongue, I began to study English since I was 15, now I am 21, but I still feel unconformable with English reading.

I took my first GRE test about one week ago, I got V670+Q800. That is high enough for any graduate school, but I don't think it proves anything.
Verbal 670, so waht? My English level is much lower than native speakers.
Quantitative part is easy for me, I could solve those problem even when I was 14 or 15 as long as I understanding the meanings.

It doesn't mean I am better, it means I am a good exam taker. I hate it but I have to do it.

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

Taking it on August 8th. Scared to death. This Kaplan book has some good tips but its a lot of common sense stuff. The math has me %*!!%%+! bricks. 
The math actually is not that hard.  You still have 2 weeks till your test.  If you take 10-15 practice quantitative section tests you should be able to get over 700 no problem.  There are only maybe a few areas like permutations, angle properties, etc that you would really need to 'learn.' The rest of it is simply just manipulating the information given.

I'm scheduled to take mine on November 19th.  I have not done any math in over 5 years haha.  I'm basically taking a high school geometry book and relearning algebra as well.  I'm hoping for a 1,000 off the bat...

Taking mine august 1st. I just took the practice exam and got 660 on the quantitative and 670 on the analytical.
The essay part sucks too. Only got a 4 and a 3 on the issue and argument essays.

Originally Posted by kangaroobombs

Taking mine august 1st. I just took the practice exam and got 660 on the quantitative and 670 on the analytical.
The essay part sucks too. Only got a 4 and a 3 on the issue and argument essays.
Where can I take a practice exam at?

The student success center at my school paid for mines. It's 30 bucks. But you can go to Majortests.com. To practice the analytical and quantitative parts. The essay portion isnt included on their website. Just examples of previous essays that got 6s. Good lick brah.

...glad I wasn't required to take either version...although my ed. diag test is just about the same...6 more credit hours and the MS is mine...good luck to ya...

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

The math actually is not that hard.  You still have 2 weeks till your test.  If you take 10-15 practice quantitative section tests you should be able to get over 700 no problem.  There are only maybe a few areas like permutations, angle properties, etc that you would really need to 'learn.' The rest of it is simply just manipulating the information given.

This was good advice, and it was the truth. The tentative score I got after the test was 600-700 on quantitative and 610-710 on verbal. The quantitative is more annoying than it is hard.

The estimated score i got was 530 to xxx for verbal and 770 to xxx for math. I didnt look at the highs of the range so i wouldnt be disappointed. we shall see. I am probably going to take it again in 60 days but good luck guys.

Back
Top Bottom