RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

You can hear NY in A$AP's music. They use old slang and flows. I give them some credit, that 90s influence is there. The south's influence is also there. They said they were all listening to 36, Cash Money and No Limit heavy.

I think YG sounds mad west coast but that's my opinion.

French doesn't sound NY at all. His music or when he speaks. Guy is a country buffoon.

DJ Mustard makes west coast sounding music?

YG? The dude who made My Nuh? That was west coast sounding to you :lol:

I'm not talking about how YG looks or even the subject matter. I'm talking about his music. From the lyrics, hook/chorus to the production. Mustard's production is 808 driven, which is why so many south artist use him. Like Tyga's Rack City, that's not a west coast song, even though they're both from the west coast.

SO MUCH WRONG :rofl: :stoneface:

It's not even a popularity thing, it's overall TALENT.

For the first time in the history of hip-hop NY is unable to compete because we simply don't have enough worthy talent.

From top to bottom, artists born in the 80s or better the east is behind all other regions but we have 3x as many people. That's a cause for concern. NY artist want to be from Houston, Houston Ns don't wanna be from NY.

And every region has stars and role players. You have Kendrick but you also have a DUBB, Skeme, Problem and Cozz. You have Future but you also have Gunplay, Young Dolph, and Kevin Gates. You have Big Sean but you also have a Dej Loaf, Machine Gun Kelly, Freddie Gibbs, then there's a whole movement of its own in Chicago with its own stars and role players. We stopped producing hometown heroes. If you go to any city they have LEGENDS that never broke regionally, and it's not because they failed to do so, they just understood their base and capitalized on it.

Troy Ave is not loved in NY how King Louie is loved in Chicago. Sales wise Joey, and Rocky are the most popular but neither of those 2 have LOVE in their city the way LA loves Dom or Nipsey. NY is not the reason A$AP Mob and Pro Era have been successful. Other regions love the music coming from their area, it speaks for them, that's not the case here.

As mentioned before, Fab has been the only one expanding on our sound meanwhile making a brand that's still universal. But at the end of the day, while he has a fan base nationwide he's more or less local. He's a factor to us cause we live here, people other places prolly don't care as much, if he wasn't on a major it would be fine, but the fact that he is, is more reason for concern.

I don't see it getting better for NY ever again honestly. If gangbangin disappeared from LA just look at all the poppin artists out there now, and eliminate all those with a gang element to their music. NY no longer has the culture to embrace, blacks are being moved out this city, coffee shops and bike racks aren't gonna be the means for inspiration. In 20 years the majority of black and brown people will no longer live in this city.

We're gonna tell our kids stories about NY rap, it will be extinct. I'm watching my city be bleached with each passing year, NY is so rich in black history, it's goin away. The projects will be gone, maybe my way of thinking is what's holding us back, but the fact remains, the poverty and desperation is what this culture was built upon, the projects produced some of the generes greatest artists and entrepreneurs (nationwide), that will be gone from the birthplace.

I don't see what will happen that could make NYC more relevant than the west, south or Midwest ever again. It's more than likely OVER for us. NY is too hard headed. We don't realize how dire **** is.

Last edited:
when will this topic stop coming up... No region is going to consistently dominate rap EVER again, the hottest cat in rap is from ****** Canada. the The Rest of the A-B grade rappers Future (ATL), Kendrick (Cali), Cole(NC), Asap Rocky (NYC), Wale (DC), Meek(PHI) Big Sean (DET), Fetty (NJ), Wiz (Pit)

none of these cats i just named really have a sound distinctive with the region there from (except maybe future).... Quality wise NY may not have as much talent showcased in the mainstream, but there are cats cultivating quality music slowly building a buzz. if your definition of NYC coming back is expecting a sound or lyrical skill similar to Nas, Jay, Big etc etc then you have already set yourself up to be disappointed. your asking people to live up to unreal expectations.

as far as NYC not being remembered in Hip Hop, there is no way possible that happens, because the artist that we have produced are too monumental to the culture to not shine light on the city. NYC despite how much the landscape of the city has changed is still a breeding ground for culture & art, the style & direction may have changed but in the hierarchy of Hip Hop culture this city will forever remain important.

I agree with everything here. I kind of don't understand why people still care so much honestly. I think for awhile there was a lack of quality coming out of NYC because many of the artists were trying to copycat other regions instead of still incorporating the essence of their regional sound and modernizing it. I think there are good artist out of NYC now like Joey Bad***** (probably one of the most refreshing artists I heard out of NY in a long time) and Action Bronson.

Personally I can care less about regional BS in hip-hop. All I care is if an artist can make good music or not. I am from NY and my favorite 2 rappers in the game aren't from NY (Kendrick and Cole). I too think this discussion is overblown and tired.

For the first time in the history of hip-hop NY is unable to compete because we simply don't have enough worthy talent.

From top to bottom, artists born in the 80s or better the east is behind all other regions but we have 3x as many people. That's a cause for concern. NY artist want to be from Houston, Houston Ns don't wanna be from NY.

And every region has stars and role players. You have Kendrick but you also have a DUBB, Skeme, Problem and Cozz. You have Future but you also have Gunplay, Young Dolph, and Kevin Gates. You have Big Sean but you also have a Dej Loaf, Machine Gun Kelly, Freddie Gibbs, then there's a whole movement of its own in Chicago with its own stars and role players. We stopped producing hometown heroes. If you go to any city they have LEGENDS that never broke regionally, and it's not because they failed to do so, they just understood their base and capitalized on it.

Troy Ave is not loved in NY how King Louie is loved in Chicago. Sales wise Joey, and Rocky are the most popular but neither of those 2 have LOVE in their city the way LA loves Dom or Nipsey. NY is not the reason A$AP Mob and Pro Era have been successful. Other regions love the music coming from their area, it speaks for them, that's not the case here.

As mentioned before, Fab has been the only one expanding on our sound meanwhile making a brand that's still universal. But at the end of the day, while he has a fan base nationwide he's more or less local. He's a factor to us cause we live here, people other places prolly don't care as much, if he wasn't on a major it would be fine, but the fact that he is, is more reason for concern.

I don't see it getting better for NY ever again honestly. If gangbangin disappeared from LA just look at all the poppin artists out there now, and eliminate all those with a gang element to their music. NY no longer has the culture to embrace, blacks are being moved out this city, coffee shops and bike racks aren't gonna be the means for inspiration. In 20 years the majority of black and brown people will no longer live in this city.

We're gonna tell our kids stories about NY rap, it will be extinct. I'm watching my city be bleached with each passing year, NY is so rich in black history, it's goin away. The projects will be gone, maybe my way of thinking is what's holding us back, but the fact remains, the poverty and desperation is what this culture was built upon, the projects produced some of the generes greatest artists and entrepreneurs (nationwide), that will be gone from the birthplace.

I don't see what will happen that could make NYC more relevant than the west, south or Midwest ever again. It's more than likely OVER for us. NY is too hard headed. We don't realize how dire **** is.

Couple of things here...I think you are equating the progression of NY sound with how the masses, mainstream radio etc reacts to the sound. I personally do not think that defines progression. I don't understand why for most hip-hop fans their basis of anything successful is correlated to sales or how the masses respond to the art put out.

Also I think you are being a bit dramatic with the NY rap being extinct. As a NY'er I understand the points you are raising about gentrification etc but your prediction of extinction is a bit much.

New York hip hop lost, because it's more about it no longer being great New York producers. Either doing street or club music.

You had people like RZA, Eric Sermon and The Beatminerz, DITC, Large Pro, Pete Rock and The Hitmen who gave New York a sound. It was as much about the producers as it was the rappers.

And I hate people saying the south won, when we're losing for it.

But hey, maybe you want 15 year olds to be influenced to do lean.
OP touched on it but I agree with you and I'd say it's more than 30% of the problem. This is the crux of the issue. There's nothing wrong with New York rappers (skill wise...subject matter is another issue). You can still find the average kid on the corner who can give you 16 bars. But lyricism has moved to the rear and musicality has moved to the forefront, obviously starting with production. No one wants to hear your music if the production isn't relevant and fresh sounding. There are very few East Coast producers who are exciting now. And even beyond this, the traditional New York boom bap sound is antiquated. No one wants to hear beats that sound like they were made on a casio my first keyboard when dudes are making beats that are way broader and more dynamic on their computers. Someone has to come along and redefine the New York sound. You look at a dude like Harry Fraud and he has the right idea. New York has a rich and diverse musical history. Dudes need to get back on their grind and bring the music to the forefront. Peace to the boom bap movement but its done, we gotta move on.

How isn't it important?

I bet it matters to Atlanta, Houston, LA, Chicago and Detroit that's why they support their own as well as others.

Hip Hop is like congress, artists are our representatives. I never been to New Orleans but hearing No Limit and Cash Money painted me a picture. Before I went to LA, Death Row, Cube and them have us a the visual.

We (NY) have no voice, hip-hop is our African drum, it's how we communicate from city to city.

I think more NYs are going with the regional **** ain't important soley because we're so irrelevant. If we had a movement like TDE I doubt this would be the narrative. We'd be waving the flag loud and proud as we have always done until a few years ago when we more or less took our ball and went home.

How isn't it important?

I bet it matters to Atlanta, Houston, LA, Chicago and Detroit that's why they support their own as well as others.

Hip Hop is like congress, artists are our representatives. I never been to New Orleans but hearing No Limit and Cash Money painted me a picture. Before I went to LA, Death Row, Cube and them have us a the visual.

We (NY) have no voice, hip-hop is our African drum, it's how we communicate from city to city.

I think more NYs are going with the regional **** ain't important soley because we're so irrelevant. If we had a movement like TDE I doubt this would be the narrative. We'd be waving the flag loud and proud as we have always done until a few years ago when we more or less took our ball and went home.

YES! Completely agree.

That was part of the beauty in Hiphop for me growing up. Never been to NY, New Orleans, ATL, etc but listening to artists from that region and watching their videos gave you a sense of how they get down and what their culture is like, etc.

1) you are literally pairing one city up against regions of music, which all have several Major Cities in them of course we aren't going to have the same amount of artist that they do. what we aren't adding into the equation about the 80's & 90's was just how much NYC literaly had a grasp on the Rap industry, all the major figures, the labels, the studios, the DJ's, the parties etc etc.. While NYC cats had a multitude of those places cats in the south literally had no hip hop industry. now a laptop allows everyone the ability to record, collab, create events, reach people in other areas. NY had so many poppin artist compared to other regions because the oppurtunity wasn't nearly as accessible to cats from other regions til the mid 00's. Also cats in NYC don't want to live a southern lifestyle, they make that music because that's the way cats are getting attention in the game. Despite what may be happening in mainstream rap, the though of NYC lifestyle is still ver valuable in hip hop culture.

2) this is all relative... the City Of chicago doesn't Love Louis, Durk, Bibby etc etc... their are certain demographics that do, but those guys ain't ringin off on radio or gettin much more love in their city then Troy Ave, Or a Smoke Dza get in ours. A cat like Gunplay, Curren$y, Gibbs, Ab Soul etc etc. were far from legends in their cities, they didn't really gain traction until they started getting love in other regions (i specifically chose those guys because these our dudes who literally moved and lived in NYC or guys who i've personally seen perform here several times while still building. The same way our guys tour and get embraced in other regions.

Earlier that you are kind of distant from the current demographic rap is targeting, with all due respect your BUGGING if you think Joey or A$AP or French don't get hella love in NYC. It may not be from our ERA (i'm assuming your 25+) but i personally seen A$AP change the youth of NY's lingo, style, music taste. I've seenJoey leading groups of teens during protest. Every show they do is sold out here, they def get love.

Yes other regions have hometown heroes who never quite blew up all the way, i don't think any region has more of those kind of figures than NYC ( We literally have Dozens upon Dozens of Artist who haven't been hot nationwide in years and can still sell out venues in NYC)

3) this is happening in damn near every major city in America, no region is really the way it was in the 80's/ 90's (except maybe Detroit SMH). that doesn't mean that inspiration is no longer gonna be drawn from NYC, just that the inspiration will change, the execution will change, but young black kids have & will forever be creative and although NYC has made some drastic changes there is still plenty of inspiration left to inspire great art from the youth of this city... (BTW The Slums of NYC are still the Slums of NYC a "hood" will always exist)

How isn't it important?

This I agree with 100%, what i'm saying is that if we are talking mainstream popular rap NO REGION is putting out music that represents their specific region. Everyone is talkin Cars, Money, *******, Drugs.

But when in NYC your speaking local artist Maino is still very NYC, Uncle Murda, GS9 before they got locked, Asap Crew from time to time, Bad ***, Vado etc etc.. if you dig past the shiny exterior there are still several artist giving you pure NYC.

Maino and Jadakiss basically covered this in a nutshell, using a trap-sounding beat just to make the message fitting.

How isn't it important?

Like I said when I was younger I used to care about this but as I have grown and my musical taste also has grown I honestly don't care anymore. I listen to what I listen to and I care about good music being put out in the culture that is hip-hop no matter what the region. Sure having a NYC artist I can relate to is dope but I can care less whether NY is on top or the masses think NY is relevant. NY'ers who are "going with the regional **** aint important" has nothing to do with relevance. Maybe mature hip-hop listeners such as myself simply have outgrown that thinking and moved past that and simply just enjoy the music.

The only people who worry about the state of NY Hip Hop are people outside NY. As an older cat, i dont even care. What has been established is enough for me survive without new material. The ones that repped the city the hardest made timeless music.

Is that a Verdejo avy fam?

:smokin

I honestly think that's a thing that you hear mostly from older cats in this city... Young ****** really grw up in an era of rap where they just liked who the hottest was, the region sounds aren't as distinct,.

To OP's credit he was talking more about the status of NYC later on in the history books, he feels like years from now cats won't really see NYC as the Mecca of hip hop, like even with cats rapping now they aren't far removed from NYC being the Mecca of hip hop and the birthplace. they grew up in a time where sure the south has been the hottest sound in mainstream, but they all know about & still directly see the impact NY staples have made because these guys are still active & the music is still played. In 20 years when the generations really have NO connection to Jay, Nas, Biggie, LOX, Cam, etc etc will the new generations still come in knowing that NY is the mecca of hiphop?

I think that would be a valid question if we were just talking music, but as far as hip hop culture NYC is SO deeply entrenched in all other aspects of it that there is no way NYC loses its importance in the pecking order even if musically we fall behind every other region.

Back
Top Bottom