RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Man I haven't heard Krondon mentioned since that Strong Arm Steady/Game song. Maybe 2010 or so

Nah, I have absolutely no energy to hate it or dude.

I tried to listen to dude rap and I couldn't. Why are so many ppl rapping in this inaudible sound now a days? Just trying to flow on the beat saying a whole lot of nothing?

I dunno man maybe you should posted something with a better beat as well. I had my volume up and everything I listened when it started and when he started rapping the hook or w/e I quickly stopped it, then skipped to the middle when he spitting his verse.

Sorry that **** don't sound good to me.

Idk man. That's just a really terrible way to try and listen to music.
I don't usually approach listening to music in that way.

Maybe I'm not being clear so you don't get what I'm saying. The song was so bad to me I couldn't bear listening to it when it started. I then tried again and said let me try to go like a 90 secs or so to see if anything changed with the quality of the song and it didn't.

I legit tried to listen to what dude was saying and was not feeling it.

I had a similar reaction to last night's BET Awards performances. I'm over like what the **** are these dudes even saying. Young Dro, Rich Homey Quan, and maybe 2 other dudes who performed I just couldn't **** with.

Imagine me listening to Kendrick and asking why he's rapping fast and in different pitches.
I can understand what Kendrick says when he raps though. Every song. I never have to stop and play something back cuz it was inaudible.

Also to be clear, it isn't about rapping fast or slow. That specific style with w/e they're doing to their voices just aint for me. Just as bad as auto-tune.

As for the other vid you posted. :lol: I can't **** with this trash man. Is that what this is though? Are all these rappers on lean when they record these tracks? This isn't some slang or accent. Dude sounded like he was slurring or half asleep. Then when he starts rapping I'm just like :stoneface: Reminds me of some of this new caribbean/reggae/calypso music where you can't get what they're saying only this is less enthusiastic and exciting. Also again what is with these beats? This that depression sound if you not high.

This is not good rap music to me. Different strokes indeed.

Last edited:
See that I can totally understand. If I'm already drinking and then on lean, taking cough medicine shots, smoking weed, x, maybe a little molly I'd think all of that sounded good and was dope. Especially with those beats, anything would sound good.

I see a lot of the same sentiments when ppl talk about listening to The Wknd songs sober.

Drugged up rap is not for me.

See that I can totally understand. If I'm already drinking and then on lean, taking cough medicine shots, smoking weed, x, maybe a little molly I'd think all of that sounded good and was dope. Especially with those beats, anything would sound good.

I see a lot of the same sentiments when ppl talk about listening to The Wknd songs sober.

I enjoy the **** sober or on something. Listened to my Savages this morning. Those songs are a lot more emotional than what y'all think on the surface level. Y'all think it's "junky rap". But shorty really be saying some ****.

It's not for everybody, but all that I've gone thru the last year....and coming from Baltimore City...it resonates.

Last edited:
I don't think so it's still plenty of flame coming out of NY I just think people aren't listening for it because its not the singing or melody filled music people love today.

The Weeknd and Future both are dope sober to me.

Now Fetty Wap is someone who sounds better drunk because those beats be hitting and you be tryna hit those melodies lol.

The Weeknd and Future both are dope sober to me.

Now Fetty Wap is someone who sounds better drunk because those beats be hitting and you be tryna hit those melodies lol.

Pretty much. Fetty makes music FOR the club.

Future makes music that gets played in the club.

Fetty Wap makes songs solely tailored for the radio. Future makes songs that happen to get played on the radio (recently at least) Not that hard :lol:

Last edited:
Joey has a crew, Pro Era. And he's signed to Cinematic. That's an outside source. TDE is from the dirt, Top signed them dudes from the very beginning where as Joey aligned himself with Cinematic.

YG made a better album than Q and Soul. Soul is more lyrically talented but hip hop is MUSIC, and YG made a better product. Q is a drug addict and his album reflects the randomness of his thought process, which ranged from genius to ******. Jay Rock has been the 2nd best artist out of TDE, he may not be as entertaining as Q or as lyrically gifted as Soul but his music thus far has been better. He's just flown under he radar.

French is garbage no matter where he's from. The Bronx stopped contributing to hip-hop the day Pun passed. South Dakota will produce a great MC before the Bronx does.

Boosie is the down south Pac, I'm personally not into his music but I've heard things I feel. Just coming from the life I live, it's more relatable to me then French and his Forest Gump brand of rap. Boosie is much more talented than French and he's takin his art further without 10 cosigns. French Montana will not be remembered in the grand scheme of hip-hop, and since the south will probably author the last 20 years, Boosie will most definitely be in there. And his music will last much longer then nonsense like "I Aint Worried Bout Nothin".

Who from Pro Era put out a album besides Joey :lol: Cinematic is an indie label. Wouldn't you say DZA and Krit are indie?

Nobody would talk about TDE if it wasn't for Kendrick and the Dre co-sign. And hell it hasn't rubbed off on any of the artist.

Jay Rock is a boring average emcee with no voice inflection.

Boosie is a down south Pac. :rofl:

and I agree with nothing else you said

Dude is a bozo for that French comment tho...at this point french is here to stay

Last edited:
NY needs talent and a memory.

Remember in 1998, the west coast for all intents and purposes was dead in the water. Kurupt solo was a disappointment. Daz as well. Mr Short Khop? If you even remember him, you get my drift. There was a lack of NEW talent, bad business had ruined Ruthless and Death Row along with untimely deaths.

Fast forward to 2005, when The Game's debut dropped the west had been nonexistent as far as new blood was concerned. How did Game make it? He was fortunate to be signed to Dr Dre but that's no guarantee of success or even seeing a release date it was his alignment with 50 Cent/G Unit that legitimized him. He also was affiliated with Dip Set the other dominant crew in NY at the time. He was on mixtape after mixtape, this is after getting on with JT in the Bay.

So if we seen the west die and be resurrected why the hell is it not happening here? There is no conspiracy against New York hip-hop, from the streets to the offices, they want a NY artist to win. There's been millions wasted in the past 10 years to do just that, the ELITE level of talent that once existed in NY is no more. Let me elaborate on this for a sec.

I was chillin, Listenin to some of my fav joints and videos, so I watched "The Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers", an AMAZING record to this day, subject matter as relevant today as it was 20 years ago when it came out. I say that to say this, as talented as the 3 MCs on the record are, they were middle of the pack in 90s NY hip-hop. Either of the 3 is head and shoulders more talented than ANYone that has come out in the past 15 years in hip-hop. THAT is how much talent was coming out of NY at the time. That isn't happening now. There is no Jeru just playing the sidelines because there's a BIG, NaS, Prodigy or Raekwon dominating. There's no O.C. just being slept on while as good as anyone from anywhere. There's no Rapper who was hot 7 years, and about 2-3 rap generations ago coming out and damn near stealing the show on a crew record like Chubb Rock did.

Essentially Game did with the Documentary what BIG did with 'Life After Death', he laid a blueprint to how to recreate a sound and give it universal appeal. In comparison to the very west coast 'Doctors Advocate', Documentary sounds almost regionally ambiguous for about 70% of the album and that's why Game remains a fan favorite in NY to this day, he made their themes appealing to those that haven't necessarily been introduced to that style of living. 10 years later he can still have private viewings in NY, hit every radio station in the city and he has a relationship with damn near every major DJ on the coast.

To this day Game still pays homage to NY. He sampled BIG on his new album. You have Ross from Miami sample BIG on 'Mastermind'. Schoolboy Q has some very NY sounding tracks on his debut. Nipsey Hussle sampled Diplomats on 'Crenshaw'. They are using that blueprint that Game laid in 05 which is more or less a west coast incarnation of what 50 Cent did, so why can't it be replicated in NY? It's being done in other regions, look at Jay Electronica.

It's the lack of talent. Game isn't the most talented MC, but he loves the culture and gives a Hell of an effort and has an ear for beats. None of those I would describe as GOD given gifts, just an ability to tell a good idea from a bad one.

So instead of copying Mobb Deep, Wu or Boot Camp New NY hip-hop artist should be studying The Documentary, Life After Death and GRODT.

And come with a lil talent as well. The example has played out in front of us.

Games success opened the door for the YGs, Problem, Dom, All them Ns that make straight WEST coast music because he made the industry put a spotlight on the city. He's like the Moses of the west. And he's not supremely talented by any stretch. You mean to tell me NY cant produce a Game?

And lack of talent is the issue here? Y'all ain't lookin at the same NY I'm in.

I do agree with this pay homage to another region...

But you guys think NY hip-hop is STILL alive.

Solely because you're from NY.

Nobody outside of NY thinks that, and the majority of the people I talk to both professionally and in the hood have more or less given up on NY.

Y'all are welcomed to stay on the talentless NY hip-hop Titanic as it continues to sink.

And the band played on..

Last edited:
Boosie :pimp:. trill nimley trill nimley I can tell you come from the struggle....since you can relate to Boosie. I try and tell people that he says a lot of real **** that you can feel.

And spot on with French Montana. Ever since he got on with Showstopper, Pop that and Ain't worried about nothing...he's been extremely cold....trying to ride waves. French does generic sounding features that go nowhere, and he's fairly relevant because of his associations (Khaled, Ross, Kardashians), and social media. French needs to lock in with Harry Fraud and get back to the basics.

NY got their guy in Dave East. That's who deserves the push.

But you guys think NY hip-hop is STILL alive.

Solely because you're from NY.

Nobody outside of NY thinks that, and the majority of the people I talk to both professionally and in the hood have more or less given up on NY.

Y'all are welcomed to stay on the talentless NY hip-hop Titanic as it continues to sink.

And the band played on..
Being in Los Angeles gives me the ability to view NY's scene without the hometown blinders on. I will say; I still **** wit NY currently. I do agree that the landscape has drastically changed, however there are artist that are putting out good music. 

I heard Dave East but I really don't think he has the juice. He sounds like any NY rapper from early 00's, no new sound or delivery.

If that's all we got, NY isn't going anywhere.

I heard Dave East but I really don't think he has the juice. He sounds like any NY rapper from early 00's, no new sound or delivery.

If that's all we got, NY isn't going anywhere.

Agreed. Nothing about Dave East suggests that he has the star quality needed to suggest an NYC resurgence.

Agreed. Nothing about Dave East suggests that he has the star quality needed to suggest an NYC resurgence.

Dude can spit, has solid connections, is handsome and has a growing fan base.

If he can find the right production, and carve out his own distinct sound. He'll go far. The formula is there, it's all about the push and production.

Last edited:
I like Dave.

But we need someone that could compete with a Kendrick/Cole culture wise and at least be able to do Big Sean #s.

We just need someone big enough to put some type of spotlight back on the city, so regardless of your style if rap you will be givien a lil shine weather to make NY drill ala Rowdy Rebel/Manolo Rose. NY hallway rap Joey/Bishop Neru. Traditional street **** with crossover appeal Troy Ave. Or regionally ambiguous **** ASAP Mob.

NY needs a star. We need a Biggie. A Method Man. Someone with solid skill and star power that can show the world 2015 NYC and not 1998 NYC.

I like Dave.

But we need someone that could compete with a Kendrick/Cole culture wise and at least be able to do Big Sean #s.

We just need someone big enough to put some type of spotlight back on the city, so regardless of your style if rap you will be givien a lil shine weather to make NY drill ala Rowdy Rebel/Manolo Rose. NY hallway rap Joey/Bishop Neru. Traditional street **** with crossover appeal Troy Ave. Or regionally ambiguous **** ASAP Mob.

NY needs a star. We need a Biggie. A Method Man. Someone with solid skill and star power that can show the world 2015 NYC and not 1998 NYC.

Yeah this is basically what I meant. You know a superstar when you see one. I remember back when Overly Dedicated dropped. You knew Kendrick was destined for greatness.

What is 2015 NYC though ? A bunch of scammers and ****** that's beefing in every 3 to 4 block radius ? GS9 was talking that **** Rowdy Rebel had star written all over him even Abillyon has talent but their buzz is dead now since Rowdy and Bobby got locked up. This is what NYC has lost in the last 10 years.

Stack
Max
GS9
Chinx

Along with 50 cent beefing with everyone and Dipset breaking up.

:lol: at Rowdy having "star" written all over him. Boy is a role player at best. Y'all NY ****** are delusional sometimes with your blinders. NY just going thru a talent drought. It's all cyclical, y'all will be back somewhat. NY won't dominate hip hop like before, but it's always nice to have a face from that city.

Computers though....:pimp:

I like Dave.

Why does everyone overlook A$AP Rocky?

Back
Top Bottom