RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

What is 2015 NYC though ? A bunch of scammers and ****** that's beefing in every 3 to 4 block radius ? GS9 was talking that **** Rowdy Rebel had star written all over him even Abillyon has talent but their buzz is dead now since Rowdy and Bobby got locked up. This is what NYC has lost in the last 10 years.

Stack
Max
GS9
Chinx

Along with 50 cent beefing with everyone and Dipset breaking up.
2015 is everyday is ZOE season.
Block/Gang wars.
Youngns tryin boost the murder rate.
Skinny Jean sweatpants.
Gentrification on 100.
Military like police presence.
Black and brown being priced out of the city.
Did I mention a surge in gun violence.

And the streets are heavily influenced by the southern drug culture (trappin and consuming), hybrid gang culture.

From an activist (no pun intended) standpoint I have been telling NYers to study sociology, and specifically what happened in Chicago the past 18 or so years with the demolition of their public housing. From what I understand NYCHA is being privatized, and within the next decade we will begin to see developments leveled that's why you're seeing luxury buildings built adjacent to public housing because now the land is cheap but nowhere near as cheap as it was in the 90s because real estate has known about this for decades. Since the high rise projects were destroyed in St Louis 40 years ago it has been an agenda, crack was a part of it as well. NY was demonized as a city in the 70s, nobody wanted to be here, and that feeling is what created the youth gang culture that lead to the formation of hip-hop. It's been brewing that's why it's important that NY ALWAYS has a voice.

I'm on my way to the south Bronx right now, and right next to my homies hood is a high ride condo being built essentially in their parking lot, it's outrageous. We're being pushed out of the city, this would be the PERFECT time for NYs next GOD MC to emerge because we don't only need him as a culture, OUR people need him as a voice. With everything goin on in NY the past 20 years, there's a 2Pac somewhere in the 8-10 million people in this city.

At the end of the day, I don't wanna sound like an elitist or anything, but hip-hop NEEDS NY. Straight up, we the heart beat of this. The west is the brain. The south is the soul and the Midwest is the imagination. It's like a sport almost, the NFL is better when the traditional powers are good, the Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Packers the league overall is better when those 4 teams are competing. Like the NBA, it's better when the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks are competing. That's what NY is to hip-hop, the culture NEEDS us and we need it.

As far as the South goes, if you black and not from the west Indies or Africa directly your people's are from the south so they should ALWAYS have a presence in anything associated with black people in America, no way around it and it's a shame how they were treated before they took their respect.

But NYC is the heartbeat of this ****. There has never been an era of hip-hop where NY was making GREAT music and the culture was mediocre. Now I'm not saying that there hasn't been good times in hip-hop where NY had no presence but it's far in between if such a time existed. It's important to the culture that NY have a voice, Brooklyn has the MOST black people of any city in America by just #s. It's somebody from damn near every country in the world in Brooklyn. And what's goin on in Brooklyn should be important to every black/Brown person in this country but like Chuck D said, hip-hop is our CNN. We don't have an MC with a Mic as loud as a Kendrick. Cole. Drake. **** even Meek Mill.

A resurgence in NY hip-hop will be beneficial to all aspects of the culture. It will never be the way it was where NYs dominance will silence other regions. That time ended around the time Outkast won best New artist at the 95 Source Awards and 3000 more or less planted the flag of southern hip-hop in the culture's landscape in what at the time was the biggest stage.

:lol: at Rowdy having "star" written all over him. Boy is a role player at best. Y'all NY ****** are delusional sometimes with your blinders. NY just going thru a talent drought. It's all cyclical, y'all will be back somewhat. NY won't dominate hip hop like before, but it's always nice to have a face from that city.

Computers though....:pimp:

If Rowdy was from B-More he would be automatically be a top 5 greatest rapper ever from your city :lol:

I still don't understand the GS9 thing. They was biting Chicago all the way down to the slang.

But Mobb Deep. Onyx. MOP. Were more or less doin that 20 years ago.

All the way down to the guns and 100 random goons in the videos.

When I see the imagery of drill music I see SMACK DVD 100% more so than I see ANY of Chicago's pioneers.

If Rowdy was from B-More he would be automatically be a top 5 greatest rapper ever from your city :lol:

Not at all.

I've said in this thread that I gave up on my city ever producing a good rap artist lol. We just suck at rapping here man. It's even sadder that in the history of rap, Baltimore doesn't have ONE major rap artist. Like dudes from Tupelo f'n Mississippi have rappers before us :smh: :lol:

We do this singing **** though. :pimp:

NY don't rock with A$AP cuz he's on some hipster ****.

They want a fly street dude who looks and sounds like them to represent it. I understand it.

But Mobb Deep. Onyx. MOP. Were more or less doin that 20 years ago.

All the way down to the guns and 100 random goons in the videos.

When I see the imagery of drill music I see SMACK DVD 100% more so than I see ANY of Chicago's pioneers.

It's not about the imagery of violence period. I'm taking the city specific slang and customs. I never saw mobb deep and mop talking like dudes from another region

It's not about the imagery of violence period. I'm taking the city specific slang and customs. I never saw mobb deep and mop talking like dudes from another region
"Lackin" and "drill"

The internet has made the world flat. About 90% of the slang we use is regionally ambiguous. NY is still the prime user of "Sun". Chicago is the prime user of "Joe". Philly is the prime user of "Jawn" "Bol". etc. But hip-hop was created to develop a language amongst the people, at that time the burroughs then it just expanded.

Twitter. Vine. Instagram. Facebook. Message boards etc make it almost impossible to have a slang that stays 100% in one area.

As far as Mobb or MOP, who knows if they borrowed slang from another region, the way the world was a set up before the net whoever you as an individual heard it being said by is who invented it. I'm sure both groups toured down there at some point and if you're black American you more than likely have family in the south.

The great migration pretty much sent Ns to every metropolitan area in the country so we're all connected to an extent, so slang is something that will always be borrowed to an extent.

I love when dudes on this forum complain when NYC artist use "non NYC slang" but its okay for y'all to have "yo" "son" "B" , etc. All in your vocabulary. Bunch a pot meet kettle *** dudes when it comes to anything NYC related

I love when dudes on this forum complain when NYC artist use "non NYC slang" but its okay for y'all to have "yo" "son" "B" , etc. All in your vocabulary. Bunch a pot meet kettle *** dudes when it comes to anything NYC related

Where I'm from ****** get clowned for saying yo son b or any of that **** so I'm not sure who you're referring to

I like Dave.

But we need someone that could compete with a Kendrick/Cole culture wise and at least be able to do Big Sean #s.

We just need someone big enough to put some type of spotlight back on the city, so regardless of your style if rap you will be givien a lil shine weather to make NY drill ala Rowdy Rebel/Manolo Rose. NY hallway rap Joey/Bishop Neru. Traditional street **** with crossover appeal Troy Ave. Or regionally ambiguous **** ASAP Mob.

NY needs a star. We need a Biggie. A Method Man. Someone with solid skill and star power that can show the world 2015 NYC and not 1998 NYC.

Why does everyone overlook A$AP Rocky?

Rocky cool but that wave is over

lol yall saw that scene in ATL when T.I. character was clowning ol boy for using "Son, Money & B". I know in Mississippi we don't use any of that ish.

I agree.

I mess with GS9 heavy but when I first saw and heard them, they definitely was just like a NY version of GBE/OTF to me.

I don't remember hearing any artists saying "squad" or "with the ****s," etc until them Chitown dudes came thru. And when I mean "squad" i'm talking about how the GBE/OTF cats be saying it throughout the songs and adlibs, etc. So when people refer to GS9 doing "drill music" I tihnk that's what they are referring to.

I agree.

I mess with GS9 heavy but when I first saw and heard them, they definitely was just like a NY version of GBE/OTF to me.

I don't remember hearing any artists saying "squad" or "with the ****s," etc until them Chitown dudes came thru. And when I mean "squad" i'm talking about how the GBE/OTF cats be saying it throughout the songs and adlibs, etc. So when people refer to GS9 doing "drill music" I tihnk that's what they are referring to.

They definitely got Squad from Flocka nem.

They definitely got Squad from Flocka nem.

Maybe so, but when you look at what was the "hottest" trend at the moment, it was the drill scene. Seems like too much of a coincidence that someone started using "squad" again from Waka when it was the Chi town dudes that was saying it over every record. Then you mix in the "With the ****s" which is CLEARLY a chitown slang so it seems like the GS9 boys were more so influenced by GBE/OTF than Brick Squad. Then you see every Chi Town video bringing back the "100 goons" standing around and see the vid for "Hot N" and it's hard to not say that was a direct influence to the Drill scene.

I get it, back in the days a bunch of the old videos had that too, etc but it's more the timing in in which GS9 did theirs which makes it seem like they were influenced by the Chicago artists.

Back
Top Bottom