RIP Shock G aka Humpty Hump from Digital Underground. Passed away at 57 Years Old!

RIP, Humpty. The Humpty Dance is one of my absolute favorite songs, of any genre, ever. Cant believe how young he was, gone way too soon. Rest easy.

Last edited:
My nephew was heartbroken when we heard the news at lunch today. He loved Digital Underground and he’s only 13 years old....

His t shirt
2D156027-8D53-46C0-B665-55C088B00A83.jpeg

RIP Shock G.

Wow. Always seemed like slim, lanky guy. Guess we'll have to see what did him in.

His production was so futuristic and funky. Parliament/Funkadelic had a big influence on Dr. Dre but I think it showed up more in Shock G's music.

Hold on....they bleep out "Burger King" in the YouTube video for Humpty Dance. That is insane.

He was a legend out here in the bay, RIP man.

RIP to Black Rob too, these three guys are younger than my parents and are too young to die.

Damn first rap group heard in the Bay growing up. Such an unique persona. RIP Shock G. Hope they keep his glasses/nose on him in his casket.

Wow. Always seemed like slim, lanky guy. Guess we'll have to see what did him in.

His production was so futuristic and funky. Parliament/Funkadelic had a big influence on Dr. Dre but I think it showed up more in Shock G's music.

🔥🔥🔥

Right before Winter Warz on the Dont Be a Menace soundtrack!

Last edited:
Hold on....they bleep out "Burger King" in the YouTube video for Humpty Dance. That is insane.

It was likely bleeped out for advertising reasons. MTV probably saw it as free promotion for Burger King and probably wanted it censored.

But Tommy Boy Records has the music video with Burger King still intact.

It was likely bleeped out for advertising reasons. MTV probably saw it as free promotion for Burger King and probably wanted it censored.

But Tommy Boy Records has the music video with Burger King still intact.

Yeah, it was for sure bleeped on MTV back in the day. I remember being really confused as a kid when I finally got the cd and found out it was BK and not like MF'er or something.

This one definitely hits hard for me. Listened to Digital Underground a ton growing up, and Nothing But Trouble was one of my favorite movies when I was younger.

I had no idea he produced "So many tears" by 2pac until today.

R.I.P. Shock G
Also the song **** the World
4902F595-C008-483F-A8C6-50DB2256CC69.jpeg

Interesting story on how that song came about. (Link to story won’t post)

Sometimes great art happens by mistake. For Digital Underground member Shock G, a very fortuitous mistake happened when he sent 2Pac a beat tape of potential tracks for Me Against The World. “I sent three good songs to Pac for the Me Against The World album,” Shock recalled in an interview with Vibe. “The first one was what turned out to be Digital Underground’s ‘Oregano Flow’, the second was ‘So Many Tears’, and the third one was a beat I can’t remember.”

As luck would have it, there was also a rough demo version of a Prince-inspired track hiding at the end of the beat reel. Though Shock hadn’t intended for anyone outside of Digital Underground to hear the song, he left it on the tape by accident. “Pac calls me back in Oakland and he’s like, ‘I like the first one and the fourth one,’” Shock told Vibe. “And I’m puzzled because I only sent three tracks. I thought he was ****ing with me.”

“I flew up to LA to meet with Pac about the songs,” Shock told Vibe. “I’m like, ‘There is no fourth beat…I searched and searched.’ He played the tape for me and when the third beat ran out some old, dusty **** that I had taped over and didn’t want no one to hear came on.”

Even though Shock had tried to erase the tape from existence, 2Pac had other ideas. “He’s like, ‘This one, n***a!’ It was that ‘**** The World’ beat, which was really a Prince remake,” Shock told Vibe. “We had all that Minneapolis **** in it. But we [Digital Underground] ended up not doing it because nobody felt the beat but me.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom