RIP to "da hood" ? educated young adults moving back to the inter city

I still do not know how I feel about gentrification. But I do know that concentrated poverty does not work. Mixed income communties have been shown to build the economy of a community. But I think we also have to remember that communties change. There are communities that use to be italian than irish then african american. Few older communities have had one constant demographic. Someone refered Compton, it started off a white suburb (george bush lived there) then african americans moved in and now it is 80% Mexican/Salvadorian. 

Eat or be eaten :lol:

So much idiocy in one post.

People think they're so far above being "eaten". :lol:

Mixed income communities however are the best solution. Putting a bunch of poor people in the same neighborhood/project/community has NEVER worked, all it does is increase crime and keeps people in poverty, no matter what race.

And as somebody said, if you gentrifiy an area and kick all the people who grew up there, the urban "culture" goes out the window with it. 10 years after once they've put in the grocery stores, starbucks and everything else it ends up feeling like a suburb with houses that are closer together :lol:

Only god could save them
laugh.gif

Lil Havana and Overtown currently in progress...Lil Haiti's happening. I think Opa Locka is too out the way for gentrification, kinda why it only happened in Overtown/Lil Havana/Wynwood and didn't move up into Liberty City and Brownsub....if you look in the nice parts of Biscayne n all that you can still find some low income high rises, which is how I'll be able to slide off in there n holla at them yuppie guhlz walking small puppies
pimp.gif
i stay a little outside of lil havana closer to coral gables and westchester and you can tell things are changing ...

i think liberty city and carol city are the only places safe...first 48 , pork n beans etc and yes those are real neighborhoods

for those of you reading 
laugh.gif

but them artsy guhlz in midtown 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
i stay a little outside of lil havana closer to coral gables and westchester and you can tell things are changing ...

i think liberty city and carol city are the only places safe...first 48 , pork n beans etc and yes those are real neighborhoods

for those of you reading 
laugh.gif

but them artsy guhlz in midtown 
pimp.gif
You not far from me bruh. I used to stay on 10th ave in East Lil Havana but I HAD to get up outta there, now I'm on 22 ave near Flagler, still "candela" as they say but ain't gotta worry about no stray fi'e or nothing
laugh.gif

I think a lot of it has to do with kids who grew up in the suburbs now want to get a taste of the city. Like history has shown they will moved out once they have children. But this is detrimental to the commuinty because then the community becomes one of transition. And like a lot of immigrant communities little pride is taken in the community by these transitional residents and the area starts to crumble. I highly doubt any of these suburbans residents are looking to purchase property in the area.

Never really understood Gentrification. There are very few minority neighborhoods that were initially minority owned. Most these neighborhoods were initially majority owned and they left years ago, minorities took over and now that the majority is coming back it's called gentrification.

Young majorities arent as scared as their parents. If you want to blame someone, blame Eminem. I saw a drastic change when a legitimate majority rapper came on scene. He took young majority kids and introduced them to the inner city. Funny cause those same kids probably dismissed him when he was younger.

how do these areas crumble when property values skyrocket? when an area is deemed "up and coming," rent and housing exponentially rise.

if you mean crumble in terms of culturally and in terms of character, i completely agree. its sad seeing small, local business replaced with larger, and often more expensive corporate brands.

however, its not just a taste of saying they lived somewhere, cities are much more convenient to live in and young people are realizing that. also, many of these people aren't having kids or if they do, they ARE staying.

until suburbs move away from these antiquated, sprawled out, car-centric models that are the norm, younger people will continue to flock to urban areas.

Last edited:
Gentrification is all a cycle man and yuppies are apart of it. It's not the end of da hood it'll just relocate for the time being, word to Chitown.

This.

Been livin in the hood all my life just found out a house 2 doors down sold for 1.6 mil..... to crackers... point is i guess its good for the community. but bad for locals. HELL YEAH IM GONNA PLAY 2 LIVE CREW UNTIL 3AM DEAL WITH IT

Main thing I like about cities is the fact that you don't always need a car to get somewhere.
Where I live if you don't have a car then you're out of luck, public transit is basically non existent and forget about walking somewhere. Everything is so spread out

how do these areas crumble when property values skyrocket? when an area is deemed "up and coming," rent and housing exponentially rise.

if you mean crumble in terms of culturally and in terms of character, i completely agree. its sad seeing small, local business replaced with larger, and often more expensive corporate brands.

however, its not just a taste of saying they lived somewhere, cities are much more convenient to live in and young people are realizing that. also, many of these people aren't having kids or if they do, they ARE staying.

until suburbs move away from these antiquated, sprawled out, car-centric models that are the norm, younger people will continue to flock to urban areas.
I think few notoriously inner cities have "up and coming" areas. That is why mostly poor people live there because they are not convinient. They are food deserts with little outdoor space, low employment, no hospitals and unaccredited schools. And the trend is not to purchase homes it is to rent. And when you are young and renting you are not gonna stay in that same space for long you will keep moving looking for something better. Then when you are having kids you will purchase a place in an area with little space for your family to grow and having to battle the deficiencies I have mentioned. I just dont think so. Children change everything and it is gonna take these areas decades to improve and I think few families who are ready to settle down will see these areas as viable option. I do think it is took early to determine but we shall see only time will tell.

this is definitely happening here in SF. hipsters are starting to take over the mission which used to be a war zone between latino street gangs.

This.

Been livin in the hood all my life just found out a house 2 doors down sold for 1.6 mil..... to crackers... point is i guess its good for the community. but bad for locals. HELL YEAH IM GONNA PLAY 2 LIVE CREW UNTIL 3AM DEAL WITH IT
wouldn't you be happy that property values are skyrocketing? I'm assuming if you've been there your whole life you or your family owns a home. Wouldn't property owners in the hood so to speak welcome gentrification?

Also, don't think the term cracker is necessary in this instance

that would be a positive thing for society tho, correct?

I used to live there when I was younger. I feel for the nice people who get priced out, but these so called "cultural" areas are goon paradises, so I welcome gentrification with open arms. Either get educated and find better jobs or live somewhere else.

Before some clown accuses me of being racist, I don't care about the race and financial status of my neighbors. I just want a safe neighborhood where I can raise a family, so if that means that minorities,immigrants,poor people. Etc, have to be displaced, so be it

Last edited:
this. interestingly, i find that people from outside nyc consider nyc to be manhattan. while new yorkers consider all 5 boros to be nyc. am i the only one? :nerd:

The science behind this is that everybody from lame unheard of suburbs of the tri-state area likes to discredit the four other boroughs because they are not a part of the city themselves.

The science behind this is that everybody from lame unheard of suburbs of the tri-state area likes to discredit the four other boroughs because they are not a part of the city themselves.
lol big reach.  if im at coney island and someone hits me up asking me where im at u want me to say NYC instead of coney island?

lol big reach.  if im at coney island and someone hits me up asking me where im at u want me to say NYC instead of coney island?

Na not at all lol. But If somebody is calling for me looking for me, I'm going to be specific to where I am and not just say what city I'm in.

the only problem i have with gentrification is that it drives up costs, i have no problem with the real estate going up

but everything follows, stuff like food, gas, basic **** all goes up by like $5-10, and everybody just pays it

This.

wouldn't you be happy that property values are skyrocketing? I'm assuming if you've been there your whole life you or your family owns a home. Wouldn't property owners in the hood so to speak welcome gentrification?

Also, don't think the term cracker is necessary in this instance
LMAO what?

Back
Top Bottom