RIP to "da hood" ? educated young adults moving back to the inter city

the only problem i have with gentrification is that it drives up costs, i have no problem with the real estate going up

but everything follows, stuff like food, gas, basic **** all goes up by like $5-10, and everybody just pays it
Its not gentrification that does this. Gas and food is more expensive in the inner city as opposed to the suburbs everywhere across the country

why is gas higher in the inner city? like the hood......always wondered 
laugh.gif

wouldn't you be happy that property values are skyrocketing? I'm assuming if you've been there your whole life you or your family owns a home. Wouldn't property owners in the hood so to speak welcome gentrification?

Also, don't think the term cracker is necessary in this instance
No the majority of people living in these communities do not own their places of residence that is why multiple families are living under one roof.

laugh.gif
Im not sure about gas but it has more expensive food because low income communities are unable to buy food in bulk. There are no costco's in the hood because it would be bad business. The majority of residents in low income communities do not have transportation as a result they cannot pack as many groceries. They can only purchase what they can carry. As a result there are 7-11's and mom and pop shops that sell overpriced food. It may be that gas is the same not as many purchasing gas because of lack of a vehicle so to make a profit the price of gas is higher. 

the only problem i have with gentrification is that it drives up costs, i have no problem with the real estate going up

but everything follows, stuff like food, gas, basic **** all goes up by like $5-10, and everybody just pays it
Its not gentrification that does this. Gas and food is more expensive in the inner city as opposed to the suburbs everywhere across the country
maybe its because i live in Detroit, but stuff in the city is CHEAP, unless you mean like the downtown-midtown areas, if prices go up, im blaming gentrification

but i do know what you mean, price differences are crazy in places like Chicago and Toronto, i had a plush *** room in Brampton for a hundun, they wanted like 250-300 for the same thing in Toronto, executive decision

#idc

#cheap******staywitbread

I was in Mpls a few weeks ago and was shocked to see so many white cat hipsters in the 30's and Park on the Southside.

Last edited:
laugh.gif

In Houston gas stations in the hood are pretty much non-existent. You dont see gas stations on opposite corners. So, stations don't have to complete with the gas station across the street, allowing them to price their gas higher. There competition may be miles away.

I was in Mpls a few weeks ago and was shocked to see so many white cat hipsters in the 30's and Park on the Southside.
is that a particularly heavily black neighborhood?

Are you shocked because you don't think they belong there? hope im nit putting words in your mouth.

I feel like that attitude of shock/dismay to see white hipster or other gentrifiers is pretty unconstructive. I see it as analagous to white people in affluent neighborhoods being shocked to see a black person in their neighborhood. It's not good for society as a whole to try to keep people out of a neighborhood based on race, socioeconomics, or any other factor.

is that a particularly heavily black neighborhood?

Are you shocked because you don't think they belong there? hope im nit putting words in your mouth.

I feel like that attitude of shock/dismay to see white hipster or other gentrifiers is pretty unconstructive. I see it as analagous to white people in affluent neighborhoods being shocked to see a black person in their neighborhood. It's not good for society as a whole to try to keep people out of a neighborhood based on race, socioeconomics, or any other factor.

Nah nah nah I didn't mean it like that homie, but I see what you're saying.

From the early 90's - at least like '07 that part of the SS was predominantly blood territory and some of the toughest territory on the Southside. Kilings, stick ups at gun point, shootouts were an everyday occurrence. Even hood cats didn't want to be caught in the 30's without heat and their crew.

I guess I was just surprised to see so many people walking their dogs, riding bikes, hanging out outside in that area, because I wasn't used to seeing it like that when I grew up.

Nah nah nah I didn't mean it like that homie, but I see what you're saying.

From the early 90's - at least like '07 that part of the SS was predominantly blood territory and some of the toughest territory on the Southside. Kilings, stick ups at gun point, shootouts were an everyday occurrence. Even hood cats didn't want to be caught in the 30's without heat and their crew.

I guess I was just surprised to see so many people walking their dogs, riding bikes, hanging out outside in that area, because I wasn't used to seeing it like that when I grew up.
ya I didn't think you did - it was just a tangent I thought of when I read your post. I do think there are people out there (maybe notin this thread) who are extremely resentful about being priced-out of their neighborhood and incorrectly direct this resentment into hate for gentrifiers that often has a racist tinge to it.

On your post, I do think it's a shame that it takes gentrification in the form of new people moving in to turn around a neighborhood for the better like in your example. Ideally, the existing populace would be able to make the necessary demands out of the police etc to enact these changes however unfortunately they generally don't have the leverage.

This.

Been livin in the hood all my life just found out a house 2 doors down sold for 1.6 mil..... to crackers... point is i guess its good for the community. but bad for locals. HELL YEAH IM GONNA PLAY 2 LIVE CREW UNTIL 3AM DEAL WITH IT
What kind of "hood" do you live in where houses get sold for 1.6 mill lol

been seeing more and more hippies in my neighborhood, Oak Cliff, i dont like it...

but them white hippie chicks, oh mayne :smile:
man... I'm from Houston...

when i got to Dallas... oak cliff was TOTALLY different from how people portray it (folks from Dallas I was in college with)

was looking at a pts in north oak cliff and they were the same price as the downtown high rises on the 30th floor

ain't nobody got time for dat.

its merely other places trying to duplicate da success of NYC...
yeah, because there's no way they could have looked at any of the 100's of city's in the world that have successfully completed an urban regeneration plan.

They simply want to be NYC.

That's it.
duh, NYC is da greatest city in da united states...period.
LA
NYC --> Chi--->  Houston -------> LA

LA'S not even a city. More like a huge suburb.

its merely other places trying to duplicate da success of NYC...
yeah, because there's no way they could have looked at any of the 100's of city's in the world that have successfully completed an urban regeneration plan.

They simply want to be NYC.

That's it.
duh, NYC is da greatest city in da united states...period.
LA
NYC --> Chi--->  Houston -------> LA

LA'S not even a city. More like a huge suburb.
bruh, i always wondered if it was a county, its a city wit a ton of other cities in it

but aint places like Culver City, Santa Monica, etc in LA the city? or whats happenin

It's like the Bay Area (which is short for San Francisco Bay Area) which has multiple cities other than SF.

When people say LA, they're referring to LA County, which includes cities other than Los Angeles like Santa Monica, Culver City, etc.

Last edited:
A lot of the culture from the mission is being rewritten. Some people don't like the fact that the mission is becoming less hispanic and latino influenced, but becoming more stratified with young people. I don't know how to feel about it. One had you got new business better housing and stuff, but it comes with higher rent and more expensive goods, oh yea and no more culture because it most of the time faced out. eh, i'll wait and see, I still want to move there, just gotta wait for the right time lol

A lot of the culture from the mission is being rewritten. Some people don't like the fact that the mission is becoming less hispanic and latino influenced, but becoming more stratified with young people. I don't know how to feel about it. One had you got new business better housing and stuff, but it comes with higher rent and more expensive goods, oh yea and no more culture because it most of the time faced out. eh, i'll wait and see, I still want to move there, just gotta wait for the right time lol

Same with Excelsior, Vis Valley, and have you seen Protrero Hill lately?!?! and every other "hood" of the city. (if were talking about the same city) But gentrification is goin do its part. And sooner or later Daly City will be the new "hood" :smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

Back
Top Bottom