Road Rage vol. What do you guys do?

So today I was driving south on PCH a few miles north of Zuma doing about 65 (in a 55) in the left lane. There isn't much traffic in front of me, but a few cars beside me in the right lane. Suddenly, this big black Ford diesel pickup truck roars up behind me and starts tailgating me so close all I can see are his grille and headlights. This continues for at least a mile but it isn't safe for me to lane change to the right.

At this point I coast down to about 55, which is the speed limit, and come up to a red light. Dude swerves into the lane next to me, cutting off another car and starts screaming and cussing me out telling me he's gonna beat my ***, my Audi is a piece of you know what, etc. as he pulls up alongside.

I say something to the effect of, "You don't own the road," and roll my windows up. Off the light he swerves back into my lane so I lane change to the right and he follows me.

Same almost-touching my bumper as before but this time I have a Prius in front of me so I can't get away.

Next light (there's over a mile between lights on this part of PCH). he lunges at me (Gas brake gas brake while I'm stopped) but thankfully he swerves into the other lane and roars away in a cloud of black smoke at the green light.

Seriously shook me up, one of the only times in recent memory where I've genuinely feared for my life. What do you guys do in these types of situations? Share your stories as well.

Cliffs:
- Pickup truck driver tailgating me within a couple feet when I'm already above speed limit
- Words exchanged
- He follows me and lunges at me
- Eventually gets bored and roars off
- How do you guys respond to stuff like this?

Last edited:
id keep driving and let him tailgate me tbh

if he hits me im getting money
That's basically what I did. I agree in hindsight it was stupid of me to slow down but I was mainly hoping he'd just go around. And def didn't seem like the type of person I'd want to deal with if he did hit me.

LMAO YOU WERE SHOOK!!!!

hahahaa

but nah yo. its easy to own the roads, drive like you been here before

Last edited:
I employ evasive maneuvers.

There are some real psychos out there and they just happen to have personal vehicles. You dont know if that person is willing to literally run you off the road or have a gun. You did the right thing. I wonder what the police could do, if anything.

I never put myself in those situations. If I am in the left lane even if I'm going 85 and someone behind me wants to go faster, I switch to the right lane and then switch back after they pass. Yeah, theres a speed limit, but no need for me to enforce it. I'm guessing the right lane was bumper to bumper traffic cause don't see how you go a mile and wasn't able to switch lanes. Also, the fact that you slow down to 55 just gonna make it worse.

Last edited:
You did the right thing. I"m assuming there's traffic? You don't want to endanger other people's lives by speeding to avoid or chase him. I would do stupid **** though to **** with him if i was in that situation. :\

At this point I coast down to about 55,

:rolleyes

If I were in your shoes and the guy just kept riding my bumper, I'd speed up enough to find a break in the right lane. You basically did the exact opposite of what you should've done. By no means am I saying let other (unlawful) drivers dictate how you drive, but you have to use your judgement in extreme cases, esp considering how shaken you are by it

Last edited:
Pull out your phone. Call cops. Take picture of his license plate. Tell 911 there is a guy in a big black truck tail gating, driving wrecklessly has a gun trying to shoot you.

Ride strapped. Sometimes you have to flash it in the rearview for them to get the point. I dont advise you to pull up next to them and point it at them. Supposedly, theres a charge behind it 
nerd.gif

You should have just pulled into that arco or whatever gas station that is on top of the hill where the lights are.

Or throw loose change at the car like I do.

Last edited:
Pull out your phone. Call cops. Take picture of his license plate. Tell 911 there is a guy in a big black truck tail gating, driving wrecklessly has a gun trying to shoot you.

:lol: My cousin use to do this.

He would call 911, give them the street name, description of vehicle and license # and report of drunk driving and how the vehicle almost ran over the pedestrian.

Almost all the time, within 10 miles, that same car gets pulled over by a Cop. :rofl:

Dude made a big deal out of nothing, you didn't do anything wrong.  If you hit the brake to go to 55 mph then he probably thought you were giving him a brake check, but if not then he's just dumb.  Usually people just pass you up, it's not Autobahn where there's some kind of car hierarchy.  Besides, I'm sure your Audi could've taken his garbage truck...

nothin you can do about crazy, angry people my brotha.  gotta keep it movin.  once when i was in my mid 20's i had some dude up on my bumper FIERCE.  i was on 95 in maryland in the right lane.  two other lanes were open, including the left.  i'm not sure what he thought i did but he was up on me like drake on a fatty.  ridin my bumper like a carnival ride.  eventually this awakens the beast.  i was doin about 12 over and the speed limit is 60.  i do exactly sixty.  i start braking intermittenly, sporadically.  i'm ****** this guy up.  finally it gets to where he (i believe accidentally) taps my bumper.  at that point he loses his nerve and gets into another lane and speeds off.  what i can say about road rage is that i personally don't get it till somebody does something extreme like that and i'll tell ya - i'm not a 'tough guy' but you scratch my car and we gon trade blows if we're not trading insurance info especially if you actin a fool tryna rage and ****.  ain't nobody got time for that and more than one person has seen my slight stature and underestimated the hulk that comes out only to regret it later.  

TLDR: don't take **** from nobody.

:rolleyes

If I were in your shoes and the guy just kept riding my bumper, I'd speed up enough to find a break in the right lane. You basically did the exact opposite of what you should've done. By no means am I saying let other (unlawful) drivers dictate how you drive, but you have to use your judgement in extreme cases, esp considering how shaken you are by it
Yeah hindsight is 20/20 and I def wouldn't do that again. To the people who asked, there was traffic beside me stuck behind a truck for the first mile. I moved over when I could.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20 and I def wouldn't do that again. To the people who asked, there was traffic beside me stuck behind a truck for the first mile. I moved over when I could.
yea traffic doesn't just bend to a driver's will, i don't know why people would question something like you not getting away from it if you could.  that NT though.

Then get a ticket for being on your cell phone while driving..:lol:

yea traffic doesn't just bend to a driver's will, i don't know why people would question something like you not getting away from it if you could.  that NT though.
Exactly. And changing lanes into that traffic would have caused me to slow more, and possibly get rammed by Mr. Crazy guy

Back
Top Bottom