ROOMATE MOVING OUT QUESTION****Final update***

calibeebee

Supporter
So here's the deal. My lease expires at the end of august so the rent that I paid on the 1st was the last rent check that I had to pay.  So I sent the check before the roomie paid me, like I have done for the last year, no problem.  anyways a couple of days go by and I havent seen this roomate of mine. cant get ahold of him, his phone is off.  4 days go by and Im worried at this point so I call the police to file a missing person report. They tell me to first call the hospitals and the county jail to see if he's there.  nothin at the hospitals but to my surprise I found out he was in jail.  He got arrested and his bail was like a grand and cant get out until his trial.  Anyways he hasn't gotten out yet, we have to be moved out by the 31st and he still owes me his share of rent and bills. 

My question is, if this cat isnt back by the 31st, do I just put all his stuff that doesnt have value out on the curb and say peace?  Legally can I take his laptop and his xbox as compensation for the rent he owes me and just up and bounce? WhatWouldNTDo?

cliffs:
Rommate is in jail
Dont know when he gets out
gotta move out
do I inherit his belongings
dont do drugs

UPDATE: I finally got ahold of the dudes mom and she was on the tip that her son was on his own.  he is responsible for his own well being etc.  I said he owes me over 500 for bills and rent and she wasnt having it.  then i mentioned that I have his macbook and his xbox and the next response i get, she's saying she'd like to come and get his things for him and she can pay me.  she came over in about an hour and paid me cash
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roomate is finally out of jail btw and now apparently he is in the hospital.  sounds like he got super messed up on some drugs and hes having issues still. anyways i got my scrill so im movin all my stuff out asap

FINAL UPDATE:  Ran into dudes friend who used to come over a lot and he cued me in on what happened.  He took 20 hits of acid and came home. started doing weird things outside the house so the neighbors started coming out of their houses and looking at him. he didnt like that so he grabbed a brick and started smashing their cars up with it.  He was buck naked this whole time btw.  Neighbors didn't like that, cops were called, he fought the cops, you can imagine the rest.  I guess he is like mentally gone now though, living in some drug/mental facility in san diego now
ohwell.gif

Homie's in jail, with pretty much no way out & you want to sell his stuff?!
Legally you can sell his stuff, only if you're under the one who's the owner/renter.

IF his name is also on the lease you can't.

Just be prepared to lose a friend, or worse.

You living with criminals, though? Better do right by him with his possessions or him and his goons will get you.

i got you op. had this same problem

pretty much all you gotta do is file a small claims case
this way he has to pay you back sometime before he can do stuff like get a loan, or buy a car etc.

If you sell his stuff while hes in jail, hes gonna find you and do something to you that will take him back to jail.

I say you pack his stuff up, take it with you. If he wants his items back, tell him he has to pay you your share of the rent and bills.

Originally Posted by JKomorowski09

this way he has to pay you back sometime before he can do stuff like get a loan, or buy a car etc.
i would just take him to small claims after the fact but I need this scrill now, not 4 months from now nah mean?

Originally Posted by djaward

If you sell his stuff while hes in jail, hes gonna find you and do something to you that will take him back to jail.

I say you pack his stuff up, take it with you. If he wants his items back, tell him he has to pay you your share of the rent and bills.

When he gets out he'll have the skills, knowledge, and contacts to get them back without OP's permission
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Ask your landlord if you can get an extension because of the situation

Try to get in touch w/ dudes parents to have them get his stuff

If i was him and i came back to see you took my stuff, best believe I'd be in jail again

Originally Posted by calibeebee

i would just take him to small claims after the fact but I need this scrill now, not 4 months from now nah mean?
i feel you but you could always just pay it yourself (his share of the bill) tell him what u did when dude gets out tell him you need the money then you can file the case so you wont get duked out your cash it sucks payin for their share of it but you dont want that late fee thats just wasted money you coulda spent on something .. like wade
nerd.gif

Nobody wants to see the Summer 2011version of the "KO Calibee" gif.
...pay his share of the rent and hope that he pays you back.

^This. Don't y'all watch Judge Judy? 

Call him in jail or w/e and tell him that your gonna have to take his stuff because you gotta pay and he doesnt have the money and hes lockedup

are you and the dude friends or were you just roomates???

obviously homie didn't plan on going to jail and unless he's stiffed you for money in the past, i don't see why you would try to take it this far...if this is your dude, just help him out until he gets out...get all his stuff out and take it with you...i'm sure he'll pay you back as soon as he get his situation situated...

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

Call him in jail or w/e and tell him that your gonna have to take his stuff because you gotta pay and he doesnt have the money and hes lockedup

...how you gonna call him IN jail?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Homie's in jail, with pretty much no way out & you want to sell his stuff?!
Legally you can sell his stuff, only if you're under the one who's the owner/renter.

IF his name is also on the lease you can't.

Just be prepared to lose a friend, or worse.
this 
Originally Posted by Storm2006

You living with criminals, though? Better do right by him with his possessions or him and his goons will get you.
and this 

hold his stuff till you see him. then tell him its gonna get sold if he doesnt come up with the money. 

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

...how you gonna call him IN jail?
laugh.gif

roll.gif

homie in jail....JAIL...& u worried about how u getting ya $$ for the rent?
Come on B
discuss that with him when he's OUT
How u wanna sell/keep his stuff?

He's in a worst predicament than you are right now 

i'm assuming you guys paid security deposit? assuming he paid his share too (which is usually equal to a month's rent)...just keep the whole security deposit and you're good. as for what's gonna happen to his stuff, just see if someone he knows can pick it up for him so you don't have to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom