Running shoe recommendations?

can you guys recommend me some good running shoes? nothing too expensive. just looking to run 2-3 miles a couple times a week. thanks.

We have to go through this again??

NO ONE can recommend a running shoe for you, without knowing YOUR feet.  Different feet require different types of shoes.  For good starting advice, go to a well established running site such as runnersworld.com and read up on shoe fitting.   Aside from that, avoid advice such as 'brand X is the best' OR 'type X cushioning is what you need'.

Then again, you could also go to a running specialty store (this does not include Finish Line!!) and get properly fitted. 

Rather than hound the poor guy, just tell him some good ones to start looking at. Not everyone looks at every single post on NT so lay off. My opinions are: Reebok Zig Pulse, or any of the Asics lne. IMO

asics are what i always recommend to customers just bc they have so many models that would suit your feet whether you pronate or not.

Originally Posted by fc1114

We have to go through this again??

NO ONE can recommend a running shoe for you, without knowing YOUR feet.  Different feet require different types of shoes.  For good starting advice, go to a well established running site such as runnersworld.com and read up on shoe fitting.   Aside from that, avoid advice such as 'brand X is the best' OR 'type X cushioning is what you need'.

Then again, you could also go to a running specialty store (this does not include Finish Line!!) and get properly fitted. 
You're wrong.

There's one comprehensive answer to this question:

RUN BAREFOOT

We're supposed to run barefoot, evolutionarily speaking. Our feet and legs are evolved to run that way. And for those of you that gone running with no shoes, you already know this is true. It's a million times better than with shoes. If you haven't tried it yet, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, when you run barefoot, you land on the outside of your midfoot, then your heel dips and you push off again. That's how our feet work. That's why we have an arch. There's a shape in architecture based on this concept; basically it can support weight above the curved portion, and the curved shape allows it to stretch out and accommodate more weight without breaking.
IM.1470_zl.jpg

That's how our feet work. When you land on your midfoot, your arch stretches out to support your weight.You land light and fast under your center of gravity. If you don't believe me, then go outside, find a park, and run around in your bare feet. You'll see it yourself.

So back in the 70s when running became a big commercial market, Bowerman made a shoe that he thought could change running for the better. He figured that if you had a comfy heel, you could land on it when you run. And if you did that, you could take longer strides, and thus run faster. (By the way, seriously that was what he thought. That's like a 4 year old's understanding of science) So he made up the Cortez, which really introduced the idea of a thick-soled running shoe, and ended up changing a lot of the western world's ideas about how we run.

So basically in the last 30 years shoe manufacturers have spent a whole lot of time making up crap for running shoes. Things like "pronation" and "arch support" are absolutely ridiculous if you think about them - as I explained, an arch IS ALREADY ITSELF A SUPPORT SYSTEM! So why would you put a little bit of rubber underneath it and  pretend like that's how it works
laugh.gif
It's completely ridiculous.

Run with your bare feet. Or get some vibram fivefingers, it works the same way. Don't believe the running shoe marketing hype.

double post to explain the footwear recommendation:

the Vibram FiveFingers is a "shoe" that's more like a glove for your foot. There's a stretchy fabric bit on top and some rubber on the bottom. That's all there is. No cushioning at all. The only difference between this and barefoot is that it feels like you have a rubber sole on your foot. It's not truly barefoot, but it's the closest you can have to it while still wearing a shoe. Highly recommended. The Classic model, picture below, is available widely for less than $70.

img1-large.jpg

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

double post to explain the footwear recommendation:

the Vibram FiveFingers is a "shoe" that's more like a glove for your foot. There's a stretchy fabric bit on top and some rubber on the bottom. That's all there is. No cushioning at all. The only difference between this and barefoot is that it feels like you have a rubber sole on your foot. It's not truly barefoot, but it's the closest you can have to it while still wearing a shoe. Highly recommended. The Classic model, picture below, is available widely for less than $70.

img1-large.jpg
haha i seen someone come into out store wearing these ugly as hell but hey whatever floats your boat

Depends on pronation of feet. For me, Nike running shoes are horrible. I usually stick to Asics, Mizuno, and Brooks.

Nike Lunar Glide. I wear it on a daily basis since I work at a fitness center and am constantly on my feet. I use it when I jog too. It's so comfortable. I run about 10 miles a week now(3 miles per 3 days or so). The good thing about this is that you don't get any pain in the shins or any parts of your leg when you jog. The heel absorbs the initial impact as your feet touches the ground and it slowly and smoothly carries the momentum to the front of you feet.

http://www.eastbay.com/pr...CH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

I have the grey and yellow colorway. I wish I gotten the orange and dark navy blue colorway now cause my pair is visibly beat from the dirt and all the battle its been through.

I actually just got my girlfriend the same pair, the pink and grey colorway. Got it under retail when footlocker had their friends and family 25% off deal.

a good starting nike is the pegasus and vomero. vomeros are extremely cushiony "pillow" like, but if you have weak arches, this can be bad and cause pain in your shins. Pegasus's have extra cushioning on the inside part of the sole and are a little bit more rigid, but break in great.

id check to see if you have a roadrunnersports.com store around you, they will measure your foot and have you run on a treadmill barefoot and film it to see how you run and put a few options on shoes in front of you.

best thing to do.

Depends on what you want from your shoes Cushioning Vs Weight Vs Support. I got some lunaracers recently and i find them good. They are the lightest shoes ive ever won and Ifind the lunar cushioning good so far although i dont think they are gonna be very durable. I might look into getting the black livestrong colorway down the line cus they wont show up the dirt as much.

Id be interested to see how those new reeboks preform.

Originally Posted by madore

Rather than hound the poor guy, just tell him some good ones to start looking at. Not everyone looks at every single post on NT so lay off. My opinions are: Reebok Zig Pulse, or any of the Asics lne. IMO
ANY of the Asics line?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Everything FC said is on POINT. Zombie spits truth too, but I don't think people are ready for the barefoot evolution man.

I'm REEEEALLLY looking forward to my Vibrams.

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

You're wrong.

There's one comprehensive answer to this question:

RUN BAREFOOT

If you don't believe me, then go outside, find a park, and run around in your bare feet.

^ You're amazing, really.   With all due respect, the idea is *ok*, but HOW MANY people out there have true access to a running surface that allows one to run barefoot.  I don't know about everyone out there, but I am not willing to run barefoot out there and risk all types of injuries, cut, bruises, that could come from running on something dangerous.    I'll tell you someone who has the ideal situation, the runner who lives near a golf course - now there is a nice surface (clean, well manicured grass) on which one can run barefoot.   THEN AGAIN - HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THAT SITUATION??? 

"Find a park" ???     - Not so easy for EVERYONE out there..... .. .

I only run in Asics. I have Nimbus 10s and Kinsei 1s. Best thing to do is go to a store like Sports Authority where the entire stock of shoes is on the showroom and just open up boxes and try them on. Much easier than going to FTL/Champs/FNL/FA and asking a sales person to bring you a pair of shoes.

Back
Top Bottom