running=weight loss question

Ok, here is the real deal.

The way to lose weight is simple...it's called caloric deficit. There are 3500 calories in 1 pound. In order to lose weight your TOTAL caloric intake has to be in a deficit of 3500 calories. Some people chart this daily, some people weekly. The first thing you need to do is find out how many calories you need per day as determined by your height/weight/age/and activity level. This website right here http://www.fitnessandfree...om/fitness/calc4men.html has a handy calculator to help determine this. If you reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories per day then for 7 days that is equal to 3500 calories for 1 week. Remember since 1 pound is equal to 3500 calories that means that by reducing 500 calories per day you'll lose 1 pound per week. BUT there is more to this... You can accelerate the weight loss by cutting back calories AND by increasing physical activity. Let's say for example that for your body size it takes 2500 calories per day for you to maintain your current weight. If you cut back 500 calories PLUS worked out and burned 400 calories per workout which you do 4 days a week then that means you would be 5100 calories in the deficit for the week...which is roughly a 1 and a half pounds of weight loss per week.

Now here is the other aspect of weight loss...body composition. Fat weighs less than and is less dense as muscle, and it also burns less calories than muscle. So if you are doing a weight training your body composition will change. Which means while you will lose inches from your waistline you could still gain weight since muscle is dense and weighs more. In other words 1 pound of muscle takes up less space and weighs more than fat...BUT it is a more efficient calorie burner than fat so it's still a good thing.

Here is where HIgh Intensity Interval training and weight lifting has an advantage over pure running. With H.I.I.T. and anaerobic resistance training (weights) your body will continue to burn calories well AFTER you stopped the actual workout. So you get acute calorie burning with the workout and also residual calorie burning after...which only helps you to lose weight and burn fat throughout the day. Pure running can also start to take away muscle as muscle is very oxygen hungry and running being an aerobic activity, your body will seek to minimize oxygen starving mass for the sake of efficiency.

Diet wise the best way to lose fat is to curb your carbs...but don't totally eliminate them because they are important for the synthesis of glycogen which is the body main source of stored energy. Increase your intake of protein either by protein shake, or low fat protein packed foods like egg whites, boneless skinless chicken breast, and fish. Good protein shakes have the branch chain amino acids and high quality whey isolate (which is better than whey concentrate). You are going to need that to help repair and build muscle and to prevent catabolism which is a state of muscle depletion. You are also going to need some fat, but very little. You can get healthy fat from nuts and Omega 3 supplements.

Also you can use a quality thermogenic (fat burner/metab booster) to help you accelerate your fat/weight loss. I use OxyElite Pro stacked with USP Labs Recreate, stacked with CLA.

If you have any more questions or need clarification hit me up. I mean I didn't get my break away speed, fluid hips, and acceleration from just sitting on the couch
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Here is where HIgh Intensity Interval training and weight lifting has an advantage over pure running. With H.I.I.T. and anaerobic resistance training (weights) your body will continue to burn calories well AFTER you stopped the actual workout. So you get acute calorie burning with the workout and also residual calorie burning after...which only helps you to lose weight and burn fat throughout the day.

Exactly.

I think a variety is a good thing too though - nothing wrong with a couple of 3 mile runs in the week - but you want to get a couple of sessions of HIIT in there too (but probably not more than that as you need to recover).

Here is where HIgh Intensity Interval training and weight lifting has an advantage over pure running. With H.I.I.T. and anaerobic resistance training (weights) your body will continue to burn calories well AFTER you stopped the actual workout. So you get acute calorie burning with the workout and also residual calorie burning after...which only helps you to lose weight and burn fat throughout the day.

Exactly.

I think a variety is a good thing too though - nothing wrong with a couple of 3 mile runs in the week - but you want to get a couple of sessions of HIIT in there too (but probably not more than that as you need to recover).

From my experience I think that running (long distance jogging) is over-rated for weight loss. If you enjoy running or you play a sport and want to get/stay in shape then I understand running. If you just want to exercise for the sake of staying in shape then I understand running. However if you want to lose weight then there are better options out there. The problem with running and weight loss IMO is that in order to lose weight you need to restrict your caloric intake and often times you need to restrict your carb intake a bit. However, in order to have the energy to run you need a good amount of calories and carbs in your body otherwise you wont have the energy to run. So the paradox is you need to restrict your calories to burn fat but you need extra calories to have the energy to run. Another problem with running while trying to lose weight is that your body will tap into the carbs stored in the body before burning fat. A 3rd problem is that running is pretty strenuous on the body and what makes matters worse for you is that it'll be harder for your body to recover when you are on a restricted calorie diet.

IMO the most important step to losing fat is watching your diet. You need moderate/high protein, moderate fat and low/moderate carbs. As for exercise, I think doing low intensity cardio prior to breakfast is the most effective way to burning fat. It's good because it taps into fat quicker and also because its not very strenuous on the body so you can do more of it and recovery wont be much of a problem. You should also lift weights atleast a few times a week because it gives your body structure (muscle) and it also burns calories (some of which will come from your body fat). Doing HIIT is also good but it poses some of the same problems as running (having lack of energy, body using carbs first, lack of calories to help your body recover). However one of the major benefits of HIIT is that it speeds up your metabolism which will burn extra calories from your body even after you're done working out.

Cliffnotes:
-running (jogging) is over-rated when trying to burn fat IMO
-Healthy diet is most important factor to losing fat
-low intensity cardio, weight training, HIIT are effective ways to burn fat

Just my 2 cents...

From my experience I think that running (long distance jogging) is over-rated for weight loss. If you enjoy running or you play a sport and want to get/stay in shape then I understand running. If you just want to exercise for the sake of staying in shape then I understand running. However if you want to lose weight then there are better options out there. The problem with running and weight loss IMO is that in order to lose weight you need to restrict your caloric intake and often times you need to restrict your carb intake a bit. However, in order to have the energy to run you need a good amount of calories and carbs in your body otherwise you wont have the energy to run. So the paradox is you need to restrict your calories to burn fat but you need extra calories to have the energy to run. Another problem with running while trying to lose weight is that your body will tap into the carbs stored in the body before burning fat. A 3rd problem is that running is pretty strenuous on the body and what makes matters worse for you is that it'll be harder for your body to recover when you are on a restricted calorie diet.

IMO the most important step to losing fat is watching your diet. You need moderate/high protein, moderate fat and low/moderate carbs. As for exercise, I think doing low intensity cardio prior to breakfast is the most effective way to burning fat. It's good because it taps into fat quicker and also because its not very strenuous on the body so you can do more of it and recovery wont be much of a problem. You should also lift weights atleast a few times a week because it gives your body structure (muscle) and it also burns calories (some of which will come from your body fat). Doing HIIT is also good but it poses some of the same problems as running (having lack of energy, body using carbs first, lack of calories to help your body recover). However one of the major benefits of HIIT is that it speeds up your metabolism which will burn extra calories from your body even after you're done working out.

Cliffnotes:
-running (jogging) is over-rated when trying to burn fat IMO
-Healthy diet is most important factor to losing fat
-low intensity cardio, weight training, HIIT are effective ways to burn fat

Just my 2 cents...

In 2006 I went from 260 to 195lbs in six months by adding distance jogging/running to my exercise routine. I would jog, lift weights and play basketball 2 or 3 times a week and didn't lose anything even though I was on a pretty clean diet. When I started jogging/running for over an hour 4 or 5 times a week that's when I lost the weight. I didn't lose much muscle and kept track of my body composition with a body fat % weight scale.

In 2006 I went from 260 to 195lbs in six months by adding distance jogging/running to my exercise routine. I would jog, lift weights and play basketball 2 or 3 times a week and didn't lose anything even though I was on a pretty clean diet. When I started jogging/running for over an hour 4 or 5 times a week that's when I lost the weight. I didn't lose much muscle and kept track of my body composition with a body fat % weight scale.

Running can = weight loss. When I was a junior in high school I was 5'10" and 232 pounds. I reached this point where I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "#@** this." I started running a mile a day, and then when I felt comfortable, I started running 2 miles a day. I cut down on what I was eating, and I stopped eating candy and fast food. My usual breakfast consisted of either a powerbar and a glass of milk, or a piece of toast w/ butter and jelly and a glass of milk. I don't remember what I ate for lunch, but I pretty much just really cut down on calorie intake (I used to eat 2 cheeseburgers for lunch some days), and I ran everyday. I eventually was down to 183 pounds and cut 5 inches off my waist.

As for the amount of time spent exercising, I ran 2 miles in 15 minutes. I always ran the last quarter mile at a full sprint. I occasionally lifted weights here and there, but running and cutting calories worked wonders.

Now, 7-8 years later I am 5'10" and probably 240 pounds again. My waist isn't as big as when I was a junior, but I am definitely overweight. I eat too much, lack self control, and can't seem to find the will power to really watch what I eat and exercise all the time. I just bought a new house, and I finally have a low traffic neighborhood to run in again, so I'm really hoping that I can get back into the habit of running on a daily basis and really cut back on what I eat.

Running can = weight loss. When I was a junior in high school I was 5'10" and 232 pounds. I reached this point where I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "#@** this." I started running a mile a day, and then when I felt comfortable, I started running 2 miles a day. I cut down on what I was eating, and I stopped eating candy and fast food. My usual breakfast consisted of either a powerbar and a glass of milk, or a piece of toast w/ butter and jelly and a glass of milk. I don't remember what I ate for lunch, but I pretty much just really cut down on calorie intake (I used to eat 2 cheeseburgers for lunch some days), and I ran everyday. I eventually was down to 183 pounds and cut 5 inches off my waist.

As for the amount of time spent exercising, I ran 2 miles in 15 minutes. I always ran the last quarter mile at a full sprint. I occasionally lifted weights here and there, but running and cutting calories worked wonders.

Now, 7-8 years later I am 5'10" and probably 240 pounds again. My waist isn't as big as when I was a junior, but I am definitely overweight. I eat too much, lack self control, and can't seem to find the will power to really watch what I eat and exercise all the time. I just bought a new house, and I finally have a low traffic neighborhood to run in again, so I'm really hoping that I can get back into the habit of running on a daily basis and really cut back on what I eat.

i have another question. when i get into a routine of working out and running (which im in now), im constantly hungry. but i mean constantly eating defeats the purpose of what im doing. how do you guys deal with this?

i have another question. when i get into a routine of working out and running (which im in now), im constantly hungry. but i mean constantly eating defeats the purpose of what im doing. how do you guys deal with this?

Back
Top Bottom