Russia: "Gays will be subject to arrest at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi"

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...hletes-and-spectators-will-be-subject-arrest#

[COLOR=#red]Russia [/COLOR]– A Russian official said gay athletes and visitors attending the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics will be subject to arrest. The news comes on the heels of the International Olympic Committee, or IOC, promising on Friday that athletes and visitors will not be affected by the ban on “homosexual propaganda,” which outlaws public events from promoting equal rights and the public display of affection by same-sex couples. President Vladimir Putin signed the ban in June. Vitaly Milonov, a St. Petersburg politician who co-sponsored the country’s new “non-traditional relationships” bill ban, told Interfax that the law cannot be suspended for the games… Milonov said the government cannot choose to selectively enforce the law. He admitted he did not personally know any lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people. “I can say that the best figure skating in the world is the Soviet school of figure skating,” he said. “All of our people have been brought up in a very traditional way, I am personally acquainted with many Olympic champions. In fact, I practically grew up among many of those families.”

:smh:

Last edited:
Been keeping up with the anti gay movement over there. **** is insane.

Assault and murder rate of homosexuals is steadily climbing over there.

When in Rome do as Romans do.

If being gay is getting you got.... Cover all your bases, go celibate, or move.

When in Rome do as Romans do.

If being gay is getting you got.... Cover all your bases, go celibate, or move.

I understand this line of thinking but its deeper than that. Dudes are actively finding gay people, teens and adults, online and luring them places to torture them.

Neo nazis on the come up over there. :smh:

See I don't think aliens will ever visit until we, the human race, gets our **** figured out. We can't even co-exist with people off a different sexual orientation let alone skin color, religion, etc... Aliens would not feel welcomed at all.

alien.gif
Well played.

What's interesting is the NHL has a whole "You Can Play" campaign which is about racial/sexual tolerance in their sport. Hockey, will probably be the biggest draw with most of the marquee players from the league participating in the Olympics. It's awful that Russia has this rule, and I'm curious if anyone from the NHL would actually speak up about it or even boycott playing?

If only there was enough time for the IOC to pull the games out of russia...

**** all this noise.  The hell has Russia done to deserve the Olympics to begin with? Nothing.

Now that I think about it, the IOC should pull the games from Russia. They have plenty of time to do so, although rescheduling elsewhere would obviously be impossible. But so what? What better situation to stand up and speak with your actions on what's right?*

*clearly the IOC isn't going to do this because $$$ reigns supreme. It's a nice thought though.

if only it was the summer olympics... there would be a chris bosh joke to be made here

I understand this line of thinking but its deeper than that. Dudes are actively finding gay people, teens and adults, online and luring them places to torture them.

Neo nazis on the come up over there.
mean.gif
State sponsored btw.

On a side note, I can't believe the World Cup is gonna be there in the future :smh: Let's allow a country with a huge Neo Nazi population, where the presence of players who have even the slightest African ancestry is strongly protested, host a tournament in which there will be a @#$% load of black players :stoneface: One of the most backwards "1st World" countries on earth

Last edited:
What's interesting is the NHL has a whole "You Can Play" campaign which is about racial/sexual tolerance in their sport. Hockey, will probably be the biggest draw with most of the marquee players from the league participating in the Olympics. It's awful that Russia has this rule, and I'm curious if anyone from the NHL would actually speak up about it or even boycott playing?

If Brian Burke had a larger role in this Olympics team, I could see him having the USNMT boycott it.
Since this gay subject hits close to home for him

If Brian Burke had a larger role in this Olympics team, I could see him having the USNMT boycott it.

Was thinking the same thing. A few high profile NHL players boycotting and speaking out on this could go a long way.

If only there was enough time for the IOC to pull the games out of russia...

**** all this noise.  The hell has Russia done to deserve the Olympics to begin with? Nothing.
Now that I think about it, the IOC should pull the games from Russia. They have plenty of time to do so, although rescheduling elsewhere would obviously be impossible. But so what? What better situation to stand up and speak with your actions on what's right?*
I'm with you, but I wouldn't mind if the IOC caught some a lot of heat for this.  F*** the Olympics all together, I only watch the summer games for USAB and I couldn't care less about the winter games...

If Burke was involved, I wouldn't be shocked if he had the USNMT boycott. He'd have A LOT of support as well.

Lol Russia sounds like the most miserable place on earth. I don't think we will be having Olympics there anytime soon.

Sad.

hopefully something is done to either boycott, or the folks of Russia get their act together

Back
Top Bottom