S.O believes in a different religion?

Any of you been in a relationship where your s.o believes in a different religion? Even marital status?
My boy(seriously not me) broke up with his girl of 3 years cause she wasn't Christian. Just wondering if any of you have been or are still in a successful relationship with someone of a different religion.

Originally Posted by Lebronics

Any of you been in a relationship where your s.o believes in a different religion? Even marital status?
My boy(seriously not me) broke up with his girl of 3 years cause she wasn't Christian. Just wondering if any of you have been or are still in a successful relationship with someone of a different religion.
No, never worked out especially during my lukewarm Christian days.
Would not attempt again.

its works. both people just have to not care about it alot.
often times that means not going to church mosque or temple because eventually any friends you make or have at your place of worship would want to meet your significant other. its a hard choice for those who care about religion.
sometimes its even worse within their religion. for example i doubt a sunni and shia islam couple could work, or a roman catholic and irish protestant couple would work, or even an orthodox and reformist jewish couple could work.

for these things to work, both couples have to not care about the faiths they were raised in.

Both people have to be open minded for it to work. My wife and I have been together a long time and have different religions. There has never been an argument about it. It does get a little tricky raising a kid though. The important thing to remember is religion is a personal belief, at least in our case.

I'm an strong Atheist, she's a christian. Going on over a year strong and couldn't be happier.

i've dated girls who were buddhist or another type of christian (i'm catholic) and those relationships didn't last more than 5 months.

not saying that i can't work out, but in my case, religion wasn't so much an issue.

it depends on the other person tho, and how much they really value their religion and if they want to press you on that.

I'm a devout Atheist, she's a Catholic.  We about to get married, not really a big deal if people just live and let live and love each other...

Like others said if you don't mind other people having their own beliefs then their will be no problem.
But if you're S.O is deeply involved in church and you two are prepared to get married sometimes church members will push for you to convert or wont allow the marriage in their church.

I'm a devout Atheist, she's a Catholic.  We about to get married, not really a big deal if people just live and let live and love each other...
This is rare, and it doesn't guarantee there will be strife later in the relationship.

Are you really atheist or agnostic, often confused but not the same.

Hopefully your girl/wife will bend and not break due to family and congregation pressure.  She will constantly be asked by members of congregation where her husband is, it's a question she will have to answer constantly.  Then there is family pressure, why isn't _______ here at church with you?  If she could answer those questions and ignore the snide remarks about your relationship, you will be fine.  Then comes children, do they go to church with mom or do they stay home with dad?  Then the children start asking questions, why does daddy get to stay home? I want to stay home!  While you are kicking it at home with a beer and watching football, your wife will be dealing with all these questions.  Eventually, she will break.

"Live and let live"
laugh.gif
, that's the last thing devout religious people allow their congregation to do.

Before you drop to one knee and get married, you two need to have a serious chat.

I say this because one of my best friends is just like you, and he's been with his girl for about 7 years.  She broke about 18 months ago, and every time we go out he's always complaining: "We're always fighting", "Why does she want me to go to Church with her now?", "Why does she want to have married/have kids now just because other girls at her church are getting married/pregnant?".  It was all kosher when they got together, and now they are on the brink of going their seperate ways.

Things that destroy marriages
1. Finances
2. Family
3. Religion
4. Infidelity

My parents are Muslim and Christian, I ended up being agnostic and my wife is Hindu, truth be told religion has never been a issue in my family. I have two daughters and will raise them to choose their own beliefs and not stifle others for the beliefs (of lack of belief).

Originally Posted by Law3001

My parents are Muslim and Christian, I ended up being agnostic and my wife is Hindu, truth be told religion has never been a issue in my family. I have two daughters and will raise them to choose their own beliefs and not stifle others for the beliefs (of lack of belief).
not to get too personal, but just wondering cause my brother's in a similar situation with his girlfriend: how were you raised? muslim, christian, both, or neither? did you have baptism/communion? did you go to church? did both your parents go to church, mosque, both or neither?

Originally Posted by amine2345

Originally Posted by Law3001

not to get too personal, but just wondering cause my brother's in a similar situation with his girlfriend: how were you raised? muslim, christian, both, or neither? did you have baptism/communion? did you go to church? did both your parents go to church, mosque, both or neither?

Went to church with my mom, but also to the mosque with my father. I was educated on both religions (moms was a history major), so I learned about all the similarites between the two religions. I wasn't baptized, my mother wanted us to be, but my father didn't want us to and that was that. My older brother is christian, I am what I am, my little brother sometimes practices both. The big thing we were raised on was that if we believe in god, that between us and him. We believe in him the way we want to and practice what we believe the way we want too.

Back
Top Bottom