Safe to bring a DSLR back home?

Hi guys I'm due for a holiday real soon back to the Philippines and I was thinking of buying a DSLR to capture all the family moments in super high res.Would I stand out too much from the crowd if i was to sling one of these big black bad boys around my neck while say travelling around and shopping and stuff?Or should I just stick to a compact regular digi cam?

it is safe, and personally, it doesnt matter what type of cam u bring, i live here and i sling around a dslr from time to time

just pick ur spots and be careful with everything

as long as you dont bring it while walking in divisoria , quiapo, recto. etc.
laugh.gif

Just be cautious when your in public places.otherwise you can rock 'em like jordans.
smile.gif

you'd be surprised how many people are carrying dslrs around.. in restaurants, malls, even in quiapo and divisoria because that's where you get a lotof dslr accessories. i'd suggest also that you consider buying your dslr here because it's much cheaper.

there's nothing to worry about.lugging around a big,conspicuous,expensive looking camera won't get you automatically jumped.if anybody suspiciouslooking comes up to you & starts asking about your gear just say its an '80's style camcorder.they wont know the difference.

Originally Posted by wytboy55

laugh.gif
you can bring it to quiapo, in fact quiapo is a known place for camera enthusiasts to source brand new reasonably priced and legit accessories forthe dslr

Cheers guys for the advice. Good point too about buying the DSLR over there, that never crossed my mind.
But yeah I remember couple years ago my cousins told me to not even expose my phone around Quiapo.

In any case if its not uncommon to carry around big !$! cameras then I'd definitely feel more comfortable if I saw heaps of people with em.

Well, thats reality. But so far I've never heard anyone who lost their DSLR. Just be cautious at those public places which are "well known" forbeing a spot of such incidents...you know what I mean..Just bring along a friend with you to make sure..

Btw, I bought my DSLR in Makati. And I agree, its much cheaper, and to think that its in Makati. Therefore, you'd be able to find much cheaper DSLRs inother shops around the Metro.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by balongbalong

Originally Posted by wytboy55

laugh.gif
you can bring it to quiapo, in fact quiapo is a known place for camera enthusiasts to source brand new reasonably priced and legit accessories for the dslr

word

They are right... You'll be surprised on how many people bring their DSLR almost everywhere nowadays here in PI. The influx of entry level DSLR from bothCanon and Nikon made this possible. There are so many Photography enthusiasts now in PI coz of several local forums.

I've heard one incident and it happened in Baguio City... wherein a D90 got stolen because the user did not use the neck strap and used it like a digicam(stupid mistake) coz of D90's live view feature....

Hidalgo in Quiapo is a great source for DSLR, lens and other camera items but stay away from some stores as there exist a notorious one in selling defectiveitems....

Back
Top Bottom