Safe to play in Kobes after an ankle sprain?

I sprained my ankle this week playin in LeBron 8 PS and I'm afraid the reason why I sprained em is because the shoe was too high off the ground and I landed on someones foot. I want to switch back to Kobes in 3 weeks when I start playing again but I'm not sure if it's safe to since theres no ankle protection on the IV V VI VII. any help?

Before the @#$%storm starts, the general knowledge is that Kobes offer ample ankle support through heel security, lockdown, etc. I'm sure this is all true, personally I prefer mid-cut shoes for balling, but Kobe lows should be just fine. Tape up if you want to be really careful, I guess.

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

I sprained my ankle this week playin in LeBron 8 PS and I'm afraid the reason why I sprained em is because the shoe was too high off the ground and I landed on someones foot. I want to switch back to Kobes in 3 weeks when I start playing again but I'm not sure if it's safe to since theres no ankle protection on the IV V VI VII. any help?

It's not the shoes fault

You landed on someone ankle.

Kobe doesnt have poor ankle support. They sit low to the ground. They have good heel lockdown and a wide outsole.

Some people on this board doesn't even know how shoes work

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

It's not the shoes fault

Kobe doesnt have poor ankle support. They sit low to the ground. They have good heel lockdown and a wide outsole.

no i landed on someone's foot. my point was i think if i had a shoe lower to the ground i dont think the sprain would have been that bad. now i'm wondering if my ankle is at a higher risk playing in Kobes, but seems as if it wont be.

yeah I just sprained my ankle and I'm a afraid to play this monday for my game and re-injure it again

when you roll your ankle you roll it. you can't blame the shoe whether its low or mid. there's really no scientific evidence but more of a placebo effect by giving you a peace of mind when playing on high tops.

I think mid tops and maybe high tops can make a roll worse by actually pushing on the inside of the ankle. 

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

It's not the shoes fault

no i landed on someone's foot. my point was i think if i had a shoe lower to the ground i dont think the sprain would have been that bad. now i'm wondering if my ankle is at a higher risk playing in Kobes, but seems as if it wont be.
No shoes can really save your ankle if you land on someone feet. If you wear super high shoes the impact of the twist will just go to your knees

However i can agree with your point about Kobe shoes being lighter and lower thus somewhat decreasing the severity of sprain

The best bet is to wear shoes that is light, have a good heel lock down and low to the ground like Kobes and avoid jumping too much into traffic.

Play smarter

ACBboyz84 wrote:

ACBboyz84 wrote:
It's not the shoes fault

No shoes can really save your ankle if you land on someone feet. If you wear super high shoes the impact of the twist will just go to your knees

However i can agree with your point about Kobe shoes being lighter and lower thus somewhat decreasing the severity of sprain

The best bet is to wear shoes that is light, have a good heel lock down and low to the ground like Kobes and avoid jumping too much into traffic.

Play smarter 

I know every time someone says something bad about lowtops theres a chorus of people who say the opposite

You just said avoid jumping into traffic, well some people thats how they play...Im a 4 or 5, I have to jump in traffic all the time and get banged on most of the time. But me personally I think the recent Kobes are really a pure guard shoe. Its meant for people who are shooters and drive seldomly in the open lanes. To say that everybody can wear is simply irresponsible.

Its not like mids provide ankle potection, they can help provide feedback to the your body

Last weekend, I landed on someone's foot after coming down with a rebound while wearing Hyperdunk 2011 lows.  what saved me from an ankle sprain, or even a severe ankle roll, was my ASO ankle brace (speed wrap).  my ankle rolled slightly and I felt a little soreness, but I can tell that it would've been much worse without the ASO brace stabilizing the ankle and preventing it from rolling too much.  2 days later, I'm walking around fine and looking forward to playing this weekend.

If you value your ankles and can't get taped before playing ball, wear some ASOs.  Best brace out there for the longest time, fits into any shoe, and one I've certainly worn with every one of my shoes since severely spraining my ankle in my first low cut hoops kicks ever, the Nike Zoom MVP.

Don't invest in ankle brace. It will just restrict your ankle and you will mess up your knee. Your joints were meant to move. Something's gotta give either way. If it's not your ankles its your knees and vice versa.

The best preventative measure is to have a strong ankle to begin with. Invest in a resistance band and do ankle exercises. Also use ankle weights to strengthen it and use the band to warm it up before and after playing. That's the best way to prevent an ankle injury.

Sources: Torn ligaments in both ankles multiple times. A broken left one, ruptured right achilles. After a while you start to pick up some tricks
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Don't invest in ankle brace. It will just restrict your ankle and you will mess up your knee. Your joints were meant to move. Something's gotta give either way. If it's not your ankles its your knees and vice versa.

The best preventative measure is to have a strong ankle to begin with. Invest in a resistance band and do ankle exercises. Also use ankle weights to strengthen it and use the band to warm it up before and after playing. That's the best way to prevent an ankle injury.

Sources: Torn ligaments in both ankles multiple times. A broken left one, ruptured right achilles. After a while you start to pick up some tricks
laugh.gif
everyone's biomechanics might be a bit different, but I've been using ASO ankle braces for YEARS after severely spraining my ankle in the Nike Zoom MVPs (with no brace or tape).  I can't imagine not playing competitive ball in ankle braces, and they have saved me from numerous would-be severe ankle rolls and sprains.

You can invest the time and money in ankle strengthening exercises and equip, but at the end of the day, nothing stablizes the ankle like a great tape job or quality braces.  I was in great shape and had strong ankles at the time of my sprain anyway.  Seems like every NBA player other than Luke Ridnour and Kevin Martin has their ankles taped or braced, from LeBron, Wade, and Kobe to Steve Nash, Jamal Crawford, and Pau Gasol.

most of my friends play with ankle braces with kobe's. they say the ankle brace helps them with the shoes' ankle support.

Check out soccer players they wear low tops and you don't see them wearing braces. Braces will restrict your movement. Check your foot type as well...having flat feet or too high of a arch can cause pronation problems. This leads to stability problems. In your case when you stepped on that guys foot you had a lost in stability. Also pro models are built in mind of the player it was designed for. Try looking into non pro models like hyper fuse, hyper dunk etc...

I sprained my ankle twice in the past 3 months...i do weightlifting, training, ankle training....

From my exp...ankle strengthing, low top, hightop shoes...it would not matter...because you are landing on someone's foot right?

Yeah I hate that Soccer to Basketball analogy....In Basketball you jump alot and therefore cant control the way you land as much.  I'm so sick of this low top propaganda. Yes you can play in them but they really arent for the majority of people.

In my humble opinion, I feel the whole high top vs. low top arguement with regards to spraining or twisting to be quite pointless. To put it simply, if you land on someone else's foot and twist your ankle, NO BASKETBALL SNEAKER on plant earth can prevent that. The difference between high vs low tops basically rests with each individual's prefence. If you really wanna prevent an ankle sprain, tape them up tight.

the cut of the shoe has maybe 1% affect on how severe the ankle injury will be.

what matters is how low your foot is to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom