Sampling in Hip Hop

Talent or thievery? Personally I think it's a skill in itself.  I'm always fascinated when I come across the original songs used in beats; both at the creativity it took a producer to incorporate it into a hip hop sound, and also because the original is usually a gem that I've never heard. Post your thoughts and some dope samples.

YES it takes skill BUT... if you're one of those cats who takes a LARGE portion of the original song and throws some wack drums over it thinking you're really doing something then no... there's no skill in that (at least for me there isn't).
*leaves thread and continues listening to the beat playing from the MPC*

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

YES it takes skill BUT... if you're one of those cats who takes a LARGE portion of the original song and throws some wack drums over it thinking you're really doing something then no... there's no skill in that (at least for me there isn't).
agreed.  If you sample be creative. 

I got a love hate for it. I like creative sampling I hate when someone loops a popular song

i.e. that gotdamn Chris Brown struggle $$!+ that !$!!

Originally Posted by KUSHcommander

hip hop IS sampling. enough said.

4gvw5.gif

Elvis and other rock "stars" in the 50's and 60's just straight up stole blues artists from the south's material.

Atleast hip hop samples (the good ones) pay hommage to the original and give it new life. As with anything it depends.

cmon man that wasnt suppose to be a demeaning term. all hip hop that is musically good is sampled. hip hop came from BREAKS thus hip hop got its roots from sampling.

Originally Posted by KUSHcommander

cmon man that wasnt suppose to be a demeaning term. all hip hop that is musically good is sampled. hip hop came from BREAKS thus hip hop got its roots from sampling.

4gvw5.gif

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

agreed.  If you sample be creative. 

I don't mind sampling if it's done tastefully. Also, it's no different from the white rock & rollers in the 50's stealing rhythms/riffs from Chuck Berry & blues/gospel artists. I laugh whenI hear rock & rollers complaining about hip hop artists sampling them when they basically did the same thing. Check out the Rolling Stones Under My Thumb & The Four Tops It's the Same Old Song - same exact rhythm & beat.What I don't like is the Puffy, P-Diddy (or whatever he's calling himself these days) 90's era where they just jacked the whole song. His whole production crew from then till now has always been wack to me...

Last time I checked you pay to sample unless the beat is on a mixtape. So, skill.

This was always one of my favorite songs that was used as a sample numerous times. A lot of producers have sampled Bob James. See how many songs you can hear from this...

As long as its done right I see it as skill. Im sure if I was in their osition it'd be rather easy to sample a large portion of a song & just through some drums over it & call it a day. But to have 1 or more small samples in a song & have it perfected with the instrumental can be
pimp.gif

Im always a fan of sampling when done right because I find it interesting to look up the sample or if I catch a sample I know Im always
eek.gif
laugh.gif

creating original music versus 'sampling' will always be more respected to me. thats not to say sampling doesn't take skill, it definitely does, and its always amazing when you find that small snippet of a song that creates a new one. but creating something from scratch is more compelling imo.

definitely not a fan of jacking the entire song and layin new lyrics on it.

Originally Posted by presequel

creating original music versus 'sampling' will always be more respected to me. thats not to say sampling doesn't take skill, it definitely does, and its always amazing when you find that small snippet of a song that creates a new one. but creating something from scratch is more compelling imo.

definitely not a fan of jacking the entire song and layin new lyrics on it.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Last time I checked you pay to sample unless the beat is on a mixtape. So, skill.
Man what are you talking about? 
laugh.gif

As a producer I have a love hate relationship with sampling. People (Beatmaker purists) will tell you to be creative and slice samples into a million pieces but sometimes the record doesn't call for that. If a section of a sample is dope, loop it. Its not a big deal. If you're unable to do anything besides loops then yea, you're wack.

On albums, these samples are keeping food in some of these artists belly anyways.
laugh.gif

What presequel said.

Issac Haye's "The Look of Love" & Juicy J/Project Pat's "H o E Pulla" =
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom