Samsung passes Apple in U.S. smartphone market - report

gllahone84

Banned
130605113612-samsung-vs-apple-620xa.png

The Galaxy S4 (left) is outselling the iPhone 5, according to Canaccord Genuity.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
[h2]Samsung has passed Apple in the U.S. smartphone market, according to an analyst report.[/h2]
In a survey of U.S. wireless carrier retail stores conducted by Wall Street research firm Canaccord Genuity, Samsung smartphones outsold Apple  (AAPLFortune 500)  iPhones and every other brand of smart devices in May.

Samsung's strength was buoyed by the new Galaxy S4 flagship phone, which began outselling the iPhone 5 last month at every carrier except AT&T  (TFortune 500), where the iPhone 5 still ranks No. 1. Strong Galaxy S III and Note II sales also helped vault Samsung to the top.

Though the report should certainly please Samsung, it shouldn't be cause for concern at Apple -- at least not yet. Canaccord's report does not factor in non-wireless stores, including the Apple store. And an April report from data tracker comScore  (SCOR)  still suggests that Apple holds a significant advantage over Samsung in the United States -- 39% to 22%.

Related story: Google reclaims control of Android with the 'Nexus Experience'

Also, month-by-month success rates aren't always the best measure: The iPhone 5 was unveiled in September, and the Galaxy S4 has been on store shelves for just over a month.

Either way, it's clear there's a big shift in the smartphone space. Though Android devices overtook market share from iOS devices years ago, Apple's iPhones had been the best selling individual smartphone -- by far -- until recently.

The Samsung Galaxy S III was the first phone that really came close to dethroning the iPhone. Now that Canaccord's report shows the Galaxy S4 might actually be doing that, it raises the question of how Apple might react. 

Apple needs to hurry up and do something drastic for 5s or iPhone 6 whatever they call it. First thing.....make it bigger.

I want Windows to step their game up. I'm bored with android and ios. Maybe i'll try out a Windows tablet.

No dambs given. Apple remains the status symbol in America. Nobody is looking to rob you for your Samsung products, there's a term called apple-picking, never heard of such with samsung. never. iPhones retain their value much more than anything samsung offers. Outselling means nothing, ask your average iPhone owner and they'd tell you they prefer every Tom, D!ck and Harry not to be carrying the iPhone. The brand itself and the ecosystem it maintains is what propels them, something samsung simply can never be.

I got new verizon service yesterday (unlimited data ftw) and the dude didnt have any iphones so I copped the s4. So I currently have a iphone 5 and a S4.

I don't care about all the gimmicks so I like the iphone 5 better. Battery life is shorter doing the same amount of stuff I do on the iphone too.

S4 is huge too, I feel uncomfortable sitting down with a huge brick in my pocket. I do like Grooveip app, and the fact that I can dl APKs off google

No dambs given. Apple remains the status symbol in America. Nobody is looking to rob you for your Samsung products, there's a term called apple-picking, never heard of such with samsung. never. iPhones retain their value much more than anything samsung offers. Outselling means nothing, ask your average iPhone owner and they'd tell you they prefer every Tom, D!ck and Harry not to be carrying the iPhone. The brand itself and the ecosystem it maintains is what propels them, something samsung simply can never be.
I take it you have a iphone. Their reaching Nextel chirp status 
laugh.gif

You can get robbed over a flip phone b. That means nothing.

I totally agree up until you said NEVER...

You bugging if you don't think in 5 years, Samsung can't replace it status wise if they continue at this place.

Android owner for the record... But realistic too...

IPhone 5 came out 8 months ago famb... :stoneface:

Are you serious? 

LOL don't eem care. never ever going back to poordroid. [emoji]9786[/emoji]

Last edited:
Clowns think cause they own a iPhone they magically get placed in a different tax bracket or some **** lol . The real #brokeboys get a iPhone to make them feel "successful" or part of something which is 90% of young adults who have iPhones . Dudes want to feel like their apart of some elite group or some ****

Clowns think cause they own a iPhone they magically get placed in a different tax bracket or some **** lol . The real #brokeboys get a iPhone to make them feel "successful" or part of something which is 90% of young adults who have iPhones . Dudes want to feel like their apart of some elite group or some ****
Pretty much everyone I know has an iPhone. I don't think they can be considered status symbols anymore, but that's not to say that we want them to sit tight and not do anything. Now is as imporant a time as ever, since the Samsung Galaxy has become the industry gold standard.

Last edited:
you got little kids who work at mcdonalds with iphones. get outta here with that mess. and the phone itself is so little.

I want Windows to step their game up. I'm bored with android and ios. Maybe i'll try out a Windows tablet.

This. Windows needs to start pushing for developers to make apps for their phones too. Even Google doesn't want to waste time on Windows because the market isn't there.

Back
Top Bottom