Saturn Flextreme........444 miles 1 full tank

*Waits for the Cam Nelson jokes to appear in thread
nerd.gif

Running on just electricity, the Flextreme is capable of driving up to 34 miles before the diesel engine fires up to pour juice back into the batteries. This range, GM claims, will enable many drivers to own the vehicle for months or years without ever traveling far enough to require the Flextreme's diesel engine to run during their normal commute, providing completely emissions-free operation.

Makes sense - you just plug it in at home and recharge it for your next trip. But for that 444 miles - how much diesel is that using? And the emissions? Acurrent diesel engine can get that - my 2.4l Volvo can do over 450 miles on regular gasoline.

That's the major problem with these hybrid engines - great for short slow trips but for longer and faster driving they can't do it.

Yet.

anyone else see all these cars that claim they go so far on one tank and this and that and different types of fuel so you dont need oil and blah blah blah butnot a damn one released yet ... and now that i think about it, 444 miles aint forreal forreal THAT long ... I get like 250 a tank and I drive a gas guzzlinchevy with pipes

Originally Posted by FreshProduct

Why do they make these hybrids, electric (etc etc) cars so ugly?

I was thinking that the other day when I was sitting behind a Prius. I guess they try to look kind of futuristic and also they appeal to a certaindemographic - that probably wouldn't spend more on a fancy design.
There are also probably practical reasons - keeping the weight and cost down as theother stuff is so heavy and expensive.

Originally Posted by Mossified842345

What's wrong with Saturn...

I have an Ion, it is a great car...
i've had one as a rental. crap car. interior looks fisher-price made. clunky, feather-weight steering wheel. weird ac vents. engine failed 3 times.horrid designed car all-around.

how anyone pays money for this over a civic, madza3, or corolla is a mystery to me. but it's american made. nuff said

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

anyone else see all these cars that claim they go so far on one tank and this and that and different types of fuel so you dont need oil and blah blah blah but not a damn one released yet ... and now that i think about it, 444 miles aint forreal forreal THAT long ... I get like 250 a tank and I drive a gas guzzlin chevy with pipes

saturn gas tanks b like 8 gallons...

my car (91 celica) should be getting about 350-400 miles per tank. this isn't based on calculations, it's whatpeople actually get (celicatech.com) and it's a 12 gallon tank. well, 12.9, i think.
i only get like 250. either i punch the gas too much or there's a leak or something.
anyway, the point is that 444miles per tank on an 8 gallon tank isn't as impressive as it first sounds when we're talking of some extreme concept forthe future.

anyway, the point is that 444miles per tank on an 8 gallon tank isn't as impressive as it first sounds when we're talking of some extreme concept for the future.
That 444 miles is putting folks off the real story - this car runs on electricity - it only uses a small diesel engine (and I would imagine asmall tank of diesel) to recharge the batteries if it has to go more than 34 miles without being plugged in - the 444 miles is the limit of its range with 1small tank of gas and no recharging. If you go less than 34 miles then you can just go home and plug it in. Not bad but not as good as the GM EV1 which wasreleased over 10 years ago - the later versions could get up to 150 miles on a charge.

plastic cars.

And have you guys seen the nissan commercial that says it gives 600 miles before filling up again????? I think its the altima

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Originally Posted by FreshProduct

Why do they make these hybrids, electric (etc etc) cars so ugly?

I was thinking that the other day when I was sitting behind a Prius. I guess they try to look kind of futuristic and also they appeal to a certain demographic - that probably wouldn't spend more on a fancy design.

Makes sense

Originally Posted by kdwallace

anyway, the point is that 444miles per tank on an 8 gallon tank isn't as impressive as it first sounds when we're talking of some extreme concept for the future.
That 444 miles is putting folks off the real story - this car runs on electricity - it only uses a small diesel engine (and I would imagine a small tank of diesel) to recharge the batteries if it has to go more than 34 miles without being plugged in - the 444 miles is the limit of its range with 1 small tank of gas and no recharging. If you go less than 34 miles then you can just go home and plug it in. Not bad but not as good as the GM EV1 which was released over 10 years ago - the later versions could get up to 150 miles on a charge.

yeah, that's true, and you said it yourself - That's the major problem with these hybrid engines - great for short slow trips but for longer andfaster driving they can't do it.

oh well.

eh not impressed...yea it runs on electricity but contrary to that article a lot of people drive more than 34 miles a day....I for one drive t least 35 just toschool and back and my car gets 350 on a tank if I baby it and 300 when I push it and it's probabley the most inefficient 4cyl ever...there's tech outthere to convert current diesel engines to run on vegetable oil and get around 35+mpg....get back to work GM....when BMW and MBZ bring out their hydrogenpowered S and 7 then I will be impressed....

Back
Top Bottom