Say hi to Teddy KGB for me A-Rod

CHICAGO -- Major League Baseball is taking "very seriously" the allegations that Alex Rodriguez took part in some illegal, underground poker games, one of which reportedly turned violent, and he could face suspension if his participation in the games is confirmed.

"We take this very seriously and have been investigating this matter since the initial allegation," MLB said in a statement. "As part of the investigation, the commissioner's office will interview Mr. Rodriguez."

[h4]An MLB executive, speaking to ESPNNewYork.com on condition of anonymity, indicated that Rodriguez could miss games if the investigation proves he was at the poker games.[/h4]

"We're talking to people involved in the investigation and we're taking this very seriously," he said. "Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play."

The allegations, first reported by Star Magazine, are that the New York Yankees third baseman played in at least two of the games, one of which took place at a record executive's Beverly Hills mansion, where "cocaine was openly used" and a fight nearly broke out when one of the players refused to pay after losing "more than a half-million dollars."

According to the story, details of which were reportedly provided by another player at the games, Rodriguez "tried to distance himself from the game," once the violence broke out.

"He just shook his head, not knowing what the hell happened," the whistle-blower said. "He didn't want to deal with it at all. He was like, 'OK, whatever. It's your game.' I would estimate A-Rod lost, like, a few thousand dollars that night. After everything that happened, he paid up and left."

In 2005, Rodriguez had been warned about gambling in underground poker clubs by the Yankees and by baseball commissioner Bud Selig, both of whom were concerned that possible involvement with gamblers who might be betting on baseball games could result in a Pete Rose-type lifetime ban from baseball.

Rodriguez later acknowledged "it wasn't the right thing to do," and checked in with the league before holding a charity poker tournament the following year.

Various reports have the games under investigation going back to 2007.

Although baseball's investigation centers on Rodriguez's card-playing, and he is not thought to have gambled on the outcome of any baseball games, the fact that he may have disregarded Selig's warning is said to have angered the commissioner.

"I don't really have any comment on that," manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday before the Yankees beat the Chicago White Sox 18-7. "Let baseball handle those things."

MLB is also concerned that Rodriguez's name will resurface in the ongoing federal investigation of Dr. Anthony Galea, the Toronto physician who pleaded guilty in July to smuggling human growth hormone and other illegal substances into the United States. Galea has treated numerous professional athletes, including Rodriguez and Tiger Woods.

"It's like there's something new with (Rodriguez) every day and it's impossible to keep up with it," a baseball insider said.

Rodriguez, currently rehabbing in Miami after having knee surgery July 11, could not be reached for comment.

Richard Rubenstein, a public relations representative for Rodriguez, addressed the Star's report Thursday morning.

"The story contains numerous factual inaccuracies and Alex looks forward to cooperating with MLB in their investigation," Rubinstein said.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said, "I don't know anything about it," when contacted Wednesday afternoon.

According to the baseball executive, MLB has yet to determine that Rodriguez took part in the games, which reportedly included actors Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon.

The man did not know if baseball's investigators had spoken yet to Rodriguez about the allegations, but he confirmed MLB has at least two investigators working on the case.

"I could see us trying to pursue this a lot further," the executive said. "The truth is still out there somewhere."

Recently, it was revealed that Rodriguez still employs his cousin, Yuri Sucart, after fingering him as the "mule" who transported his performance-enhancing drugs in 2003 after his Rodriguez's steroid usage was revealed in a 2009 Sports Illustrated story. This was despite being told by the Yankees that Sucart would no longer be allowed in the clubhouse, and after they encouraged him to keep his distance.

"You get the feeling that Alex says what he thinks he needs to say to get by, and then goes out and does what he wants," the MLB executive said.

Rodriguez, a three-time AL MVP, is hitting .295 with 13 home runs and 52 RBIs this season.

Rodriguez ranks sixth on the career homer list with 626. He needs 137 to break Barry Bonds' record. 

Wallace Matthews covers the Yankees for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

pimp.gif

MLB needs to chill out, some rich dudes were playin some cards, couple folks on the white, fist fight ensues, nothin to see here.  Let the guy live.  You got Leo there, Spiderman, the og Rounder himself, come on.  @#$% I say get a camera in there and let's reality these games.  I wanna see what they talk about and stuff. 
laugh.gif

joke.. i'm a red sox fan (just don't follow baseball that much anymore to care.. or put in my sig)

Weird...this is getting more news than anything I've heard in baseball all season besides Jeter 3,000 
laugh.gif

Nah, CP, he needs a kick in the @@* and this is coming from a dude who loves A-Roid. From steriods, to doctors, to his cousin and now to more poker with a big amount of coke present AND someone who reportedly refused to pay a half a million dollar bet? They do not want this to keep escalating with A-Roid and have a Gilbert type situation. This is actually pretty serious. Not even to mention the fact that they'll have to investigate if any baseball betting went out. This guy is out of control sometimes.

you know Yuri put the game together

the argument is that players can get into huge money problems with shady characters due to gambling and then end up fixing games

Originally Posted by Proshares

Nah, CP, he needs a kick in the @@* and this is coming from a dude who loves A-Roid. From steriods, to doctors, to his cousin and now to more poker with a big amount of coke present AND someone who reportedly refused to pay a half a million dollar bet? They do not want this to keep escalating with A-Roid and have a Gilbert type situation. This is actually pretty serious. Not even to mention the fact that they'll have to investigate if any baseball betting went out. This guy is out of control sometimes.
I know the cousin stuff is a little weird, not sure why A-Rod ain't cut those ties, but come on, he's there with his buddies, everybody know Ben/Leo/Tobey/Damon, hollywood A-listers, what party don't have coke show up with those high end types?  They ain't gonna be sittin around drinkin sprite and eatin crackers. 
laugh.gif

Some other player could sit in his basement with 4 of his childhood friends, and they could be doin ALOT worse things than what happened at A-Rod's thing.  You can't police the world.  If MLB don't like it, fine, test him for drugs, if he's clean, then all he did was play cards with some buddies.  If he has a bunch of coke in his system, ok, do somethin to him.  But just bein mad about him playin cards with some friends, that's weak.  I get the angle that A-Rod should be wiser and stay outta that element, but if you rich dude in your 30's, you wouldn't go play some poker and smoke cigars and have some drinks with your other rich friends?  Come on. 

I can see where MLB doesn't want their star players hanging around high stakes gambling sessions (for PR purposes only) and if they already sat him down previously and warned him about it and he said he won't do it anymore....yet still did it I can see how he will be getting in hot water.

I can also see why ARod likes to chill and play cards for dollar, why wouldn't he when he is worth more than some small countries and is STILL owed over $140 million after this season in base salary alone LOL good god man.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I know the cousin stuff is a little weird, not sure why A-Rod ain't cut those ties, but come on, he's there with his buddies, everybody know Ben/Leo/Tobey/Damon, hollywood A-listers, what party don't have coke show up with those high end types?  They ain't gonna be sittin around drinkin sprite and eatin crackers. 
laugh.gif

Some other player could sit in his basement with 4 of his childhood friends, and they could be doin ALOT worse things than what happened at A-Rod's thing.  You can't police the world.  If MLB don't like it, fine, test him for drugs, if he's clean, then all he did was play cards with some buddies.  If he has a bunch of coke in his system, ok, do somethin to him.  But just bein mad about him playin cards with some friends, that's weak.  I get the angle that A-Rod should be wiser and stay outta that element, but if you rich dude in your 30's, you wouldn't go play some poker and smoke cigars and have some drinks with your other rich friends?  Come on. 

It wasn't friends though
laugh.gif
 it was a bunch of celebrities playing high stakes cash games.  Just don't do it during the season when you're rehabbing injuries.  He put himself in a horrible situation.  Selig is looking at what happened in the NBA over card games and doesn't want that to bleed into his sport.  And it's not just the card playing thing it's everything adding up to this AND he's been warned about the poker thing before.  With A-Rod, it'll always be a bigger deal than it actually is.

He should be banned. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.
I really hope you're joking.

laugh.gif

i agree 100% if he tests clean, let him live. dudes on the DL. gotta pass time somehow.

i heard about this on the radio last night and the dude was going off saying how dispicable gambling is and its an addiction just like drugs. ease up cowboy
grin.gif

I could care less about his gambling, but where he messed up is that he was warned before about playing. How can you be THAT stupid. Well, it is A-Rod, so I'm not totally surprised. Imagine if they find out he was somehow involved in gambling on baseball
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif

This guy can hit 900 HRs...he's not sniffing the HOF.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I could care less about his gambling, but where he messed up is that he was warned before about playing. How can you be THAT stupid. Well, it is A-Rod, so I'm not totally surprised. Imagine if they find out he was somehow involved in gambling on baseball
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Exactly.  When it first happened when he first came to NY, I was one of those who thought it was blown out of proportion.  But he does it all the time now, and MLB is sick of it.  I used to see him when I used to go to those underground spots in the city
laugh.gif
 and I've heard it's been getting worse and worse with him.  Not that he's losing at all, just that he does it a ton now.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Exactly.  When it first happened when he first came to NY, I was one of those who thought it was blown out of proportion.  But he does it all the time now, and MLB is sick of it.  I used to see him when I used to go to those underground spots in the city
laugh.gif
 and I've heard it's been getting worse and worse with him.  Not that he's losing at all, just that he does it a ton now.

Pro....can you imagine the lies A-Rod will now be caught up in as a result of the investigation?  I'm sure MLB has been probing him behind the scenes ever since they were first aware of his foray into gambling.  A-Rod, being who he is, most likely denied...denied...denied.  The amount of dirt that is going to be uncovered is going to be ridiculous.  It's hard to have any sympathy for the guy because he does it to himself.  Repeatedly. 

i don't see the big deal...the whole thing got blown up because of the Ponzi scheme dude blowing his ill gotten proceeds - these games have been going on forever and they will continue to-

the money is all relative...of course there's bad press now so they have to play police but its not like he was in over his head...

Spidey was cleaning up all these dudes tho...id love to see the level they were playing at...

It got blown up because of the drugs, A-Rod continually saying no more poker and the threat of violence over money being owed. Of course it'll still go on but the fact is, they don't want one of their biggest stars getting caught up in it during the season while he's supposed to be rehabbing a knee injury.

DJ's, A-Rod has always been lie the first time he's asked then come out and tell the truth. Always has been when it comes to these situations. It's not like they'll discover something that they don't already know/suspect. The only groundbreaking thing that would be uncovered would be the betting on sports/baseball. I don't think he's that dumb. He's just a guy who enjoys doing this and doesn't really care what anyone thinks. Like I said, he's not losing big money and he's not the one threatening violence. Just do it in the offseason or at least don't always lie about it and say you won't do it again.

It got blown up because of the drugs, A-Rod continually saying no more poker and the threat of violence over money being owed. Of course it'll still go on but the fact is, they don't want one of their biggest stars getting caught up in it during the season while he's supposed to be rehabbing a knee injury.

DJ's, A-Rod has always been lie the first time he's asked then come out and tell the truth. Always has been when it comes to these situations. It's not like they'll discover something that they don't already know/suspect. The only groundbreaking thing that would be uncovered would be the betting on sports/baseball. I don't think he's that dumb. He's just a guy who enjoys doing this and doesn't really care what anyone thinks. Like I said, he's not losing big money and he's not the one threatening violence. Just do it in the offseason or at least don't always lie about it and say you won't do it again.
I meant him denying in the timeframe between when MLB told him not to play in these games and when he went back and continued to gamble.  For his sake, I hope he was honest after MLB found out that he went behind their backs.  Damage has been done, and if he wasn't totally truthful, and Seilg & Co. find out that there was more going on with A-Rod besides poker, he's $%%%@+. 

laugh.gif
yea i see what your saying but the drugs are kinda hearsay at this point right...i mean we do know the social class of people he runs with- coke is passed around like the hor devours are at every hip swanky high society club/mansion party/babyshower  etc etc...
laugh.gif

also funny to see the source of most of the leaked info is Dan Blitz 
ohwell.gif

Definitley see what you mean there DJ's. But he's the guy to finally be honest once 95% of the facts are on the table.

Tre, true but you know hearsay is pretty much solid evidence nowadays
laugh.gif
guilty until proven innocent.

BTW, I think if they try to suspend him just for the poker thing they'll lose the players association grievance.

Plus, how does this make baseball/Selig look? They have players getting DUI's often now but nothing is done to discipline them, all they have to do is make a public apology. But A-Rod is gambling with his money and they're ready to burn him at the stake. Isn't that odd to everyone?

I'm semi surprised everyone is worried about him betting on baseball.  You kiddin me?  Not many people on this planet got the funds to back A-Rod into that kinda corner, and certainly nobody that was at that table.  No way for him to need to bet on any games. 

And I know MLB said stop it, but @#$% that, if my job tried to tell me what I can and can't do on my day off, I'd tell them to go @#$% themselves too.  I don't see how the game has the right to tell A-Rod a damn thing.  As long as he doesn't get coked up, doesn't get shot, and his buddies just play some cards, everybody on this planet has done that at some point, Bud should shut the hell up.  And I'm not even an A-Rod guy.  We all know damn well there are worse things you can be doing than playing poker.  Should he be a lil more cautious about it, smarter, yeah sure, maybe take better care of the element that hangs around them during those games, but if he's clean drug wise, nobody has any right to tell him what's what on his own time. (provided he's working on his recovery and due back as scheduled, if he screws with that, then the Yanks have every right to get mad at him) 

it isn't stupid it's brazen. he just dont give a %$$+. With that money I doubt i would either

I'm semi surprised everyone is worried about him betting on baseball.  You kiddin me?  Not many people on this planet got the funds to back A-Rod into that kinda corner, and certainly nobody that was at that table.  No way for him to need to bet on any games. 

And I know MLB said stop it, but @#$% that, if my job tried to tell me what I can and can't do on my day off, I'd tell them to go @#$% themselves too.  I don't see how the game has the right to tell A-Rod a damn thing.  As long as he doesn't get coked up, doesn't get shot, and his buddies just play some cards, everybody on this planet has done that at some point, Bud should shut the hell up.  And I'm not even an A-Rod guy.  We all know damn well there are worse things you can be doing than playing poker.  Should he be a lil more cautious about it, smarter, yeah sure, maybe take better care of the element that hangs around them during those games, but if he's clean drug wise, nobody has any right to tell him what's what on his own time. (provided he's working on his recovery and due back as scheduled, if he screws with that, then the Yanks have every right to get mad at him) 

Having funds to not get backed into a corner doesn't mean he wouldn't be tempted.  This guy loves the excitement of gambling for millions of dollars.  Maybe he gets tempted to join the excitement of sports gambling.  Who knows?  But it is a legitimate concern for baseball.

MLB told them to stop it because they don't want it escalating and tarnishing their image, I don't see how you're not understanding that.  A-Rod represents the image of MLB every time he does something right or wrong off the field.  To them it doesn't matter if he's not coked up or getting shot or losing millions.  The fact that he's IN THE POSITION to be around tons of cocaine and violence over card games is what worries them.  Their league is going to take the hit when that story comes out.  Their league that is already losing fans and viewers steadily during the season.

Like I said, time and a place for all of this and that is the offseason when no one cares what they're doing and Bud is on vacation.  During the season, while rehabbing it's a no no IMO.  And my stance is only this way because he's been warned several times and tells everyone he doesn't do it anymore.  I'd be happier if he came out and said "IDGAF, it's my money I'll do what I want."

And you're right, there are much worse thing.  Brett Myers broke the face of his wife and no one blinked an eye.

Back
Top Bottom