School me on Getting a MBA.

ok so im thinking about my future and I know that for I need to go to graduate school to be successful. The thought of getting my MBA popped in my head and Iwant to know the pro's and con's to this. My major right now is marketing but im pretty sure I will change it to something else. So any NT gettingtheir MBA now or know anyone with one? Also what kind of salary should I be looking to receive with an MBA.

Do u have your B.S.?

My uncle went back to get his MBA and his salary almost doubled instantly from $45,000 to $80,000 he works for Hyundai or Honda cant remember which or whatfield but after this year he goes through more training and can make $100,000 + next year

Its very important to get your masters in any field you study thats why Im goin straight to graduate school without a break

No im only a Sophmore in college right now. And Yea im doing the samething. No breaks. I want to get everything over with at once.

Originally Posted by cartune

Its very important to get your masters in any field you study thats why Im goin straight to graduate school without a break
Terrible advice.

No company will hire a person and pay you 80K w/ no experience. NO MATTER WHAT. You need experience. MBA will not give you that boost in salary w/o any priorexperience in the field.

This is why many folks work for 3 - 4 years after undergrad then proceed to attain an MBA.

25 y.o. vs a 30 y.o. You pick.

Most of the top tier MBA programs recommend work experience, so it would be a good idea to work for 3-5 years before applying to business school. Your salarydepends on your school, the company, and your experience among many other things, but most of the people I know from Harvard/Wharton had 120k/year salariesfirst year out of business school.

in my opinion, if you dont get it from a top school, it isnt worth it. grant it, you will get a better chance at landing a better job compared to those withjust their bachelors, but if you plan on competing with guys that have mbas coming out of harvard, etc. then it is gonna be tough.

like everyone says, get some real world experience before you get your mba. some companies will pay for some, or all of your tuition.

i knew someone who went got their mba and no job experience, he was struggling to find a job due to lack of experience. thought he was gonna make 100k, butsettled on an entry level position

experience and who you know>MBA

youre a marketing major too......shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I agree with DMan14. Business school isn't like medical school, where Rank 1 and Rank 50 don't differ THAT MUCH in terms of career options and thesuch. But if you compare the career placements/salaries of top 10 business schools with top 50 business schools, the differences are going to be much moreclear. There's a reason more CEO's, CFO's, and other high ranking corporate officials of the biggest companies come fromHarvard/Wharton/Stanford/etc. Also, work experience before business school is greatly recommended as others have mentioned above.

Do u have your B.S.?

My uncle went back to get his MBA and his salary almost doubled instantly from $45,000 to $80,000 he works for Hyundai or Honda cant remember which or what field but after this year he goes through more training and can make $100,000 + next year

that's about the dumbest statement I've ever heard

no work experience means your masters is as good as the toilet paper in your company's bathroom

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Terrible advice.

No company will hire a person and pay you 80K w/ no experience. NO MATTER WHAT. You need experience. MBA will not give you that boost in salary w/o any prior experience in the field.

This is why many folks work for 3 - 4 years after undergrad then proceed to attain an MBA.

25 y.o. vs a 30 y.o. You pick.

No doubt I know what your saying thats why my example I use is my uncle went back hes been working with that car company for a few years. They gave him a raisefor getting his MBA and he has to go through training to get an even higher raise thats kinda what I said

Originally Posted by areyouin729

Do u have your B.S.?

My uncle went back to get his MBA and his salary almost doubled instantly from $45,000 to $80,000 he works for Hyundai or Honda cant remember which or what field but after this year he goes through more training and can make $100,000 + next year

no work experience means your masters is as good as the toilet paper in your company's bathroom

How is it dumb? Obviously experience is important i can graduate with a MBA at 24 and still work my way up whether than work my way up and have a cap on mebecause I dont have a masters.

i'm not clowning on your uncle. i'm clowning you. All this get it done in 1 shot type mentality.

You're a fool, and you don't realize it yet.

PICK AGAIN.

MBA '14 or MBA '18.

You fail again.

Originally Posted by areyouin729

Do u have your B.S.?

How is it dumb? Obviously experience is important i can graduate with a MBA at 24 and still work my way up whether than work my way up and have a cap on me because I dont have a masters.
trust me, get 3-4 yrs experience first

I have several friends who did this, they arent making more than me and I barely started master classes, not even sure it's worth it to be honest

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

i'm not clowning on your uncle. i'm clowning you. All this get it done in 1 shot type mentality.
Its just my opinion bruh I know if I stop I will never go back to school so thats why Im trying to get it over with.

Yea, 3-4 years of work experience before MBA is highly RECOMMENDED, point blank, period.

You're only selling your self short by getting your MBA first especially if your undergrad wasn't at a top 10 school or Ivy league.

Experience, and knowing people is far and beyond greater than an MBA.

I have two friends that both work in Government Community Relations...the one with theMBA makes about $15,000 more and gets the lead on more high profileprojects.

Yes, I began my MBA program back in February. I won't be done til July 2011. Hoping to cake it up big time when I get it in hand.

So how do y'all recommend I get some work experience while I'm in school for my undergrad? Just apply to any place interesting and hope for the best?Intern? Is it common for a company to give paid internships?
Also, what does it take to get into a 'top-tier' business school for an MBA? Just grades? Extra curriculars?

I'm about to take the GMAT, will have worked for 3 - 3.5 years by the time I start school again.

One major point here, if you don't have legit work experience, YOU HAVE NO CHANCE in getting into any of the top 10 business schools unless you went thereundergrad and go through some program. For MBA school, you gotta work first...for law/med/other fields, you can go straight. I had a friend that did a 3-2(bachelor's + MBA) and still ended up getting an entry level job the same as ppl with just a bachelor's. Basically, it's totally a waste andretarded to go straight through for an MBA. Of course schools will try to sell you on it, they want that $$$.

Hold on. How do you go to a top tier business school if its far away from you? For example i live in NC. How the heck would i go to Harvard if i got in?

^ you move to mass.
laugh.gif

Most MBA programs require work experience so you won't be able to get into the grad school straight out of under grad. Also, a lot of places actually sendyou through graduate school upon some sort of agreement, i.e. you work for them a fixed number of years after completing the graduate degree.

And you'll need to take your GMAT.

Lol and our Economy shows CEOs from Harvard/Stanford/etc aint been doing SQUAT!!!!

But yea, Name and Rank matters ALOT for Graduate Schools. Undergrad name Helps, but you can get away from not going to a top school, Graduate school is kind ofa different story.

i've been debating this, i hate school (just finished my first year at the university of toronto which ranks in the top 30 in the world) and wanna get ajob right after undergrad but the salary difference between undergrad and MBA is HUGE

Back
Top Bottom