school me on Nokia N900

Thinking about trading in the bold for this joint

My dude said he can sell me one for 400

so whats the pros and cons?

pros. it can do everything. 32gb plus micro sd. firefox browser. divx xvid flash support and installable codecs. high res screen. built in skype. it is like a mini computer with a bult in phone.

cons. bulky and ok battery life. some might not like the os but i think it is terrific.. its not a ****** proof phone like the iphone.

400? id take that in a second

im looking to upgrade over my n95 but i dont have the dough right now
smh.gif

yeah 400

craiglist is the spot, he said he doesnt have the og box tho just the phone and charger

I have one, this ##*# is AWESOME! but i could be biased ...

if you need to have anything done for you, like iphone os or android 2.x, then i suggest looking into one of those devices, this device is for heady folks who, if something goes wrong can look at the error logs and fix it themselves.

-Screen: A- 800x480 (resistive touch, not capacitive, _FAR_ more accurate than capacitive, comes with a stylus as well)
-Keyboard: A+ (some ppl complain about the displaced spacebar, its of no consequence to me, once you use it for a while you dont even notice. it has an on screen keyboard that is responsive as well)
-Build Quality: A+ no creaks, keyboard slider mechanism is VERY sturdy, mine does have a gap ~1mm of clearance on the left side.
-MultiMedia: A+ theres a codec pack you can DL so theres no need to re-encode any movies, i just dump them on my eMMC or MicroSDHC and they play ... there are media players avail that also allow for subtitle support. it comes with the TV out cable, all you do is plug it into a TV and the N900 and it shows up on the screen (you have to choose the right input on the TV of course, this includes audio as well) also it includes an FM TRANSMITTER, no need for cables in a car, its compatible with any radio that can receive a radio signal, in order to broadcast any audio your playing thru the phone. sans phone calls ...
-Tmo 3G: B+ in my area, but i have $2.99 tzones and it works flawlessly so for me personally this is a no brainer.
-Size: B- its bigger, if you think of it as a "phone" but if you think of it as a MicroLinuxBox then its remarkable.
-Services: B no appstore, android market, again if you want apps and ##*# then look elsewhere, this device doesnt need 40,000 apps to do things online that can be done if you could merely get to the website of the companies making the apps which leads me to the next part. but seriously this has repositories to get things like doom, or quake 3, and the like, red alert, duke nukem 3d ... but no official google maps, other than the browser which is fine by me, it works the same.
-Internet: A+ 100% HOLY ##*#, its not even close, what you get on your desktop is EXACTLY, and i cannot emphasize this enough, EXACTLY what you get on the n900, EXACTLY ... NO COMPROMISE, no mobile browsing falloff or exceptions. HTML5 + Flash 9.4 (10.1 should be around the corner with the new PR1.2 update this month)
-Camera: A-/B+ i dont use it. theres nothing here really, just a point and shoot, good lens good pics, decent movies, i just dont use it for that all too often, you can use the flash as a torch light too.
-Computer Support: A+ i can VPN or VNC or SSH into my home network/pc with no problems if your into that sorta thing.
DLNA compatible.
-Battery: B+ normal usage: wifi + 2g surf for an hour here and there, email, IM, Phone calls music (FM Trans for rides to work) i can get about 16+ hrs in a day, takes about 2.5 hrs to charge fully.
Conversations: A+ threaded, contacts are unified so a conversation with one person regardless of how they talk to you is in one thread. IM (AIM, MSN, Gtalk,Yahoo, Skype, ICQ, Jabber, ... Facebook) ALL integrated into the conversations app. threaded very nicely done, you can edit the layout in some of the config files, i havent yet, kinda lazy.

the whole OS is accessible to you the enduser so anything that you want to edit you can without worry of the man voiding your warranty.
if you have any questions just ask.

i paid $450 us for the device total (611 from newegg, 10% back from paypal, 50 back from newegg, 50 back from nokia (MIR)), and my bill is $47.00 a month

man only 47 a month?

unlimited everything? i really dont talk on the phone that much (of course) i just need internet and unlimited text

You also can't go wrong with high-end Sony Ericssons (though people who buy them buy them strictly for their cameras and nothing more), high-end Samsungs, or even high-end LGs.

You also can't go wrong with high-end Sony Ericssons (though people who buy them buy them strictly for their cameras and nothing more), high-end Samsungs, or even high-end LGs.

$400 is a good price for the N900. You might be able to see it on Dell for like $430, but with tax.

While I do recommend the phone, I am not sure what you care more right now, the phone or the cheapest data/text plan?

Dang, T-Zone for $2.99 is such a steal. Trying to get ATT MediaNet for $15 with no 3G FTL for me.

I tried using one of these but resistive touch sucks the big one.
Everything else was cool.

Sensitive touch > precise touch

Back
Top Bottom