**Seattle Mariners 2024 Season Thread ** | 6-8 | v. Cubs & Reds |

There's always an extra catcher - I don't know if they're 3 deep there - but if rosters expanded I can see 3...some teams carry 3 anyway just for a body...plus extra pitchers, but then you think that with this team, the lineup is solid and deep, so the next extra spot is to put defense at a premium.

He's also a + base runner...put him in at D and have him lead off an inning, gets on base, SB here, stretches a single by a batter into a run on a hit and run..

I'm excited. :lol:

Yeah, Hamilton is electric on the base paths. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an uptick in OBP by him since the M’s have/teach zone conviction, at least that’s what has been emphasized by Dipoto and Co…

At long last, it’s Julio Rodríguez time for the Mariners: ‘He’s special’​

Seattle Mariners' Julio Rodriguez bats during the second inning of a spring training baseball game against the Texas Rangers Monday, March 28, 2022, in Peoria, Ariz. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

By Corey Brock

PEORIA, Ariz. — The worst-kept secret of spring training officially came to fruition Monday when Mariners named top prospect, outfielder Julio Rodriguez, to the team’s 28-man Opening Day roster.

This was a bit ironic considering that when big leaguers belatedly reported for camp after the lockout on Feb. 18, there was not necessarily a clear path or even a definite plan for the 21-year-old to make the leap to the game’s biggest stage.

But a handful of events conspired to catapult Rodríguez onto the team’s charter that will fly from Phoenix to Minneapolis on Wednesday in advance of Opening Day against the Twins on Thursday afternoon.

First and foremost, though, Rodríguez, the No. 9 prospect on Keith Law’s Top 100, played his way onto the roster and firmly into the team’s plans to start the season by showing that no moment appears too big for him, that his easygoing personality is a nice fit in the clubhouse and, above all else, that his skill set is impressive.

“He’s special … the type of player the whole region will be energized by,” said a National League scout who saw Rodríguez this spring. “He slows the game down like a veteran but can’t hide the kid who just loves making things happen.”

Mariners manager Scott Servais told reporters that Rodríguez will be a part of the roster to start the season. Truthfully, if the roster limit had been 26, Rodríguez still would have made the team.

Rodríguez didn’t back his way onto the roster. He played his way onto it.

Rodríguez is hitting .419 this spring with three home runs — the last coming Sunday against the Royals, an opposite-field rocket as part of a three-hit day. Overall, he’s knocked in eight runs, has three walks and three steals in 34 plate appearances (31 at-bats) this spring.

Sure, he’s made a few mistakes in Arizona, as young players often do, but the general impression he’s given to the club and to others who have observed him is he’s ready to be challenged.

“He’s a fun player to watch, obviously … a ton of ability and a great personality on top,” Servais said earlier this week. “It’s such a high, high ceiling. That’s what excites everyone that’s around him.”

Despite having only played 46 games at the Double-A level, Rodríguez will be part of what figures to be a four-player rotation in the outfield, with some at-bats potentially to come as the Mariners shuttle different players through the designated hitter position. He could see time in center field or in left field defensively. On Sunday, he played right field against the Royals.

Make no mistake, Rodríguez is here to play or else there would be no need to take him to Minnesota.

“Julio has the potential to have a big year, and I think he will,” an American League scout said. “He has confidence and all the tools to be an above-average player. I’m not making him a star yet, but with his bat speed, foot speed and defensive potential, I won’t be surprised if he is.”

Still, entering the offseason and even entering this truncated camp, there was no guarantee Rodríguez would be here this soon. But when it became apparent that outfielder Kyle Lewis — who had meniscus surgery on his right knee last season — would be brought along slowly this spring, the door of opportunity opened slightly.

And even though the Mariners traded for outfielder Jesse Winker last month, it didn’t block Rodríguez’s path. If the Mariners had added yet another outfielder, through free agency or trade, that may not have been the case and Rodríguez could have begun the season in the minors, getting more at-bats and time in center field until the team needed him.

The Mariners remained open-minded, at least publicly, about the notion of Rodríguez playing his way onto the Opening Day roster as far back as October, when president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto wouldn’t rule it out.

“With Julio, there is no unrealistic expectation,” Dipoto told The Athletic. “I wouldn’t put anything past him.”

That’s because of the success rate Rodríguez had in the minors. He’s a career .331 hitter in the minors in 962 plate appearances, and he’s had success on a bigger stage before. He hit .417 in the Summer Olympics in Tokyo for his native Dominican Republic.

Rodríguez’s play this spring spoke volumes in terms of his readiness. That doesn’t mean there might not be growing pains along the way, and the club suspects there will be at some point. But his tools spoke so loudly this spring — including improved speed — that Seattle couldn’t ignore them anymore.

Take the Mariners game Thursday against the Guardians in Peoria. Rodríguez had two hits — including an inside-the-park home run, a walk, a stolen base and also threw a runner out trying to stretch a single into a double. Just call it The Julio Rodríguez Game.

Said Rodríguez after that game: “I’m living a dream.”

No more so than Sunday, when his pursuit of making the big league roster went from dream to reality. Now it’s time to turn Rodríguez loose.

“He can do it all,” a National League scout said of Rodríguez. “He’s a rare player you can confidently write ‘superstar’ next to as a scout.”

From The Athletic

crazy how kyle lewis went from rookie of the year to a backup outfielder
Health is wealth fam. Crazy I just saw the other day that the M's payroll is still under $100M, so I assume they're crazy flexible this summer and/or after this season. With the OF surplus, I don't think someone like a Kelenic is untouchable anymore, especially with Julio rising a little quicker than expected. Kelenic, Brash/Kirby, and a veteran player is a decent package for a summer deal IMO...

Welp first game will have to wait til Friday... I feel like MN always experiences early season cancellations.

I wish teams gave out C’s to captains more like in the past. Been saying Justin Turner of the Dodgers deserved that “C” on the jersey, and J.P. Crawford deserves that “C” now, especially since Seager is gone. Happy for the kid, Phillies fans bashed him but he figured it out in Seattle.

I dont know if the Mariners have any control or just the networks, but they either gotta move off of root or start negotiating to make it more accessible. Only on fubotv for streaming services and even at my mom's, they got Dish Network and it was removed awhile ago. :smh:

I love Rizzs and all, but it'd be nice to see them on TV too.

Awful zone, Julio didn’t deserve that K…

Edit: Logan dealing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom