Seeing the Yankees "struggle" Appreciation....

^
Where is Gene Michael now?

Gene Michael, Gene Michael......why do I know that name??????

Oh sh*^, he was manager of the Cubs back in the day wasn't he???
laugh.gif
Holy crap, I remember I had his baseball card or something like that. He managed Dawson back when the Hawk won MVP.
eek.gif

Is he still around, or where he go? Was Cashman not a disciple of his? Sometimes that's a good way to go.

According to the stats EVERY Yankee pitcher is out performing his ERA indicating that the defense probably has to do with poor pitching.

Trade Chien Ming Wang to a team that can actually field ground balls.

There "struggling" because theyve had a ton of injuries this season. Theyve been without there best player, #2 starter, top two setup men, catcherand backup catcher. Teixeria injured his wrist after about the 4th game and has struggled since.

No Yankee fan thinks the season is a failure if they dont win the world series, thats something ESPN constant;y says and since most baseball fans dont live inNew York they think it to be true.

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

Problem with the Yankees is there's no substance. Everybody go there to play for the "YANKEES" and get rich quick. Nobody there cares about winning cause if they did, they wouldn't play there. Terrible farm system, terrible starting pitching, terrible bullpen, old leaders who aren't good anymore, and over priced and hyped free agent acquisitions. Doesn't sound like a team set-up to win to me. Makes my day when I see them lose, cause they are the devil of baseball.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

^
Where is Gene Michael now?

Gene Michael, Gene Michael......why do I know that name??????

Oh sh*^, he was manager of the Cubs back in the day wasn't he???
laugh.gif
Holy crap, I remember I had his baseball card or something like that. He managed Dawson back when the Hawk won MVP.
eek.gif

Is he still around, or where he go? Was Cashman not a disciple of his? Sometimes that's a good way to go.
Yeah he managed the Yankees and Cubs for short stints. He used to be a SS.

Last I heard of "Stick" Michael, he was out in Japan scouting for pitching. He was particularly paying attention to Yu Darvish.

From Wiki:

[h2]Post-Playing Career[/h2]
After retiring, Michael became a coach with the Yankees and was manager of the Yankees in both 1981 and 1982, although it was in two separate tenures. He would manage the Chicago Cubs from 1987, the only post-retirement years not spent with the Yankees. In 1990 he was made general manager of the Yankees, during this time he built the Yankees farm system and laid the seeds for their dominance in the end of the decade. This was facilitated in part by the suspension of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner who had earned a reputation as a meddler. The Yankees also began building young talent, rather than trading it away, as they had done in the 1980s with little success. During Michael's tenure as general manager, the Yankees drafted or signed such notable players as Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, and others. Further, he traded popular prospect Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill, whose fiery persona and play would become a cornerstone for the team. This foundation paid off with Yankee championships in 1996, and from 1998-2000. Michael officially served as GM until 1995, when Bob Watson took over.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Yeah, the new stadium caters too much to the rich. Anything for the fans was an afterthought.

You can thank the rich scumbags, Lonn Trost and Randy Levine, for much of the nonsense.

Heck, even if those who work for YES (Paul O'Neill, Ken Singleton) have been harassed by Stadium security.
smh.gif
Like I said, rich scumbags:

On the issue of allowing regular fans and kids to watch batting practice from the field level, here is what Trost had to say: "If you purchased a suite, do you want people in your suite. If you purchased a house, do you want people in your house?"

Wow. That's pretty much all the evidence you need about the caste system at the new Stadium. There is a Stadium for the wealthy and there is a Stadium for everybody else.

You know what is really sad about the whole thing? None of those people even watch BP. The entire area is largely empty before the game.

smh.gif

Scouting for who? Who's payin his checks these days?

So Watson was the bridge to Cashman?

With all that George expects, I wonder why Cash still has a job. I know George's son has pretty much taken over, but that family expects results. Cashmust be a lucky man, or a smooth talker.

They fell apart when they let Gene Michaels go and stopped caring about their farm system. But its cool, Girardi and Cashman will be fired at the end of theyear, Wang will be traded, Jeter will be moved to the OF
pimp.gif

Joba in the rotation where he can only go 5 innings
pimp.gif

He was scouting on behalf of the Yankees. I should've made that clearer originally. My bad.

I think he's now just a special advisor for them or something.

I don't really remember much of the Watson years.

The Yankees have stocked up on pitching in the minors (including that guy who can throw with two hands
pimp.gif
) and they have some relatively decenthitters...it's just that they are all a couple years away from a shot at the big leagues.
Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

They fell apart when they let Gene Michaels go and stopped caring about their farm system. But its cool, Girardi and Cashman will be fired at the end of the year, Wang will be traded, Jeter will be moved to the OF
pimp.gif

Joba in the rotation where he can only go 5 innings
pimp.gif

54a25da669cb9503890680402b185a2aabc1bc2.gif

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

There "struggling" because theyve had a ton of injuries this season. Theyve been without there best player, #2 starter, top two setup men, catcher and backup catcher. Teixeria injured his wrist after about the 4th game and has struggled since.

No Yankee fan thinks the season is a failure if they dont win the world series, thats something ESPN constant;y says and since most baseball fans dont live in New York they think it to be true.

laugh.gif
u kidding me? U spend 300+ million on free agents this past offseason, and fans are gonna be CONTENT with not winning???
laugh.gif
Good one....expectationsare ALWAYS high surrounding the Yanks...I still stand by the fact that if you all DON'T play/win in the World Series, the season is considered afailure....

where's all this modesty coming from?
laugh.gif

Point taken.

They're still my team but some of the things they've done especially recently has rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll never co sign the way they disrespected Joe Torre.

Girardi FTL

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

There "struggling" because theyve had a ton of injuries this season. Theyve been without there best player, #2 starter, top two setup men, catcher and backup catcher. Teixeria injured his wrist after about the 4th game and has struggled since.

No Yankee fan thinks the season is a failure if they dont win the world series, thats something ESPN constant;y says and since most baseball fans dont live in New York they think it to be true.

laugh.gif
u kidding me? U spend 300+ million on free agents this past offseason, and fans are gonna be CONTENT with not winning???
laugh.gif
Good one....expectations are ALWAYS high surrounding the Yanks...I still stand by the fact that if you all DON'T play/win in the World Series, the season is considered a failure....

where's all this modesty coming from?
laugh.gif

Why would any team or fans be content with not winning? I dont expect the Yankees to win the world series. I do however think they have a good chance to and donot like to see them underachieve.

And why are you so sure the Yankees have no good young talent? They were ranked about middle of the road in the minors department, mostly because there talentis still in A ball. Since Cashman gained control look at there drafts. There 06 and 07 drafts were very good and last season got them in the top 5 by mostrankings.

I'll say it now. I for one do NOT expect us to win the WS, terrible pitching, poor hitting with RISP, and Mark Teixera.

We fail miserably in all categories. We'll probably be a WC team at best.

Beyond the comments already said about their payroll the other important factor is believe it or not there are millions of baseball fans who actually do notfollow the Yanks. And when these people are told year after year that they are supposed to follow this team then they enjoy when the team does not do well.Every Yankee move is reported, every ARod story, every Steinbrenner thought, every ticket issue, every game is on TV, every big name star leaves the local teamand fans to sign $100+ mil contracts in NY, yada yada.

People get tired of it.

Much like Brett Favre I really dont have that much issue with the man or in this case the team....rather it's the coverage and the sense of entitlementthat makes me dislike the team and feel better when they lose....

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Beyond the comments already said about their payroll the other important factor is believe it or not there are millions of baseball fans who actually do not follow the Yanks. And when these people are told year after year that they are supposed to follow this team then they enjoy when the team does not do well. Every Yankee move is reported, every ARod story, every Steinbrenner thought, every ticket issue, every game is on TV, every big name star leaves the local team and fans to sign $100+ mil contracts in NY, yada yada.

People get tired of it.

Much like Brett Favre I really dont have that much issue with the man or in this case the team....rather it's the coverage and the sense of entitlement that makes me dislike the team and feel better when they lose....

But is that the Yankees or Yankees fans fault? Blame the media then.

I hate rooting for other teams to do bad, but I do find it hilarious that the Mets seem to have more nationally televised games so far

I'm not here to assign "blame." That's why i stated upfront the reasoning. Many people naturally dislike the Yankees because ofthe coverage. It's been like that for years whether it's right or wrong.

And the people who actually can separate the media with the actual team then fall back on the payroll and the team taking away everybodys players every yearblah blah and we're back to the same spot anyway.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I'm not here to assign "blame." That's why i stated upfront the reasoning. Many people naturally dislike the Yankees because of the coverage. It's been like that for years whether it's right or wrong.

And the people who actually can separate the media with the actual team then fall back on the payroll and the team taking away everybodys players every year blah blah and we're back to the same spot anyway.
You can't just say oh its ALLLLL the medias fault when the Yankees sell their brand with "20+ championships", having the largestmost expensive new stadium, the $2500 front row seats for the wealthy, the ridiculous facial hair rule because they want to be portrayed as a "corporatebusiness", the high prices free agents...this is the product the Yankees push to the fans and the media because they see themselves above every otherfranchise.

It boggles my mind how a franchise can spend so much yet have so many holes and no farm.

The old Yankee squad in the late 90s (yeah they had some roiders) played hard, got their uniforms dirty..........somewhere along the line the franchise lostits touch with their fans and things just fell out of place. The Yankees just kept spending more and more on position players and they have gottenproigressively worse and worse every year since then with all the 1st round massacre's, no playoffs last year, and now today.

....and then there are those obnoxious Yankee fans that end every arguement with "26" "26".......the only reason most Yankee fans toned itdown lately is because they've come to realize that this isn't the same product anymore.

Boston and Tampa are young, Yankees are not......thats why they are struggling and will continue to do so.

I dislike the Yankees cause their organization has ruined baseball with their thirstyness of signing everybody else players instead of developing their own.300 million worth of contracts in one off season, give me a break. I'm convinced the Yankees will never be good again until there is a complete u-turn intheir baseball management model, cause what they have now stinks. Might even need to get some new owners in there.

Back
Top Bottom