Seeing the Yankees "struggle" Appreciation....

^ No. Its the truth and you know it.

And speaking of, that's another thing I hate. Yankee fans (or fans of any team that is nationally hated) that don't accept the fact that the team ismediocre.

Mez 0ne wrote:
RyGuy45 wrote:
But is that the Yankees or Yankees fans fault? Blame the media then.

I'm not here to assign "blame." That's why i stated upfront the reasoning. Many people naturally dislike the Yankees because of the coverage. It's been like that for years whether it's right or wrong.

And the people who actually can separate the media with the actual team then fall back on the payroll and the team taking away everybodys players every year blah blah and we're back to the same spot anyway.
You can't just say oh its ALLLLL the medias fault when the Yankees sell their brand with "20+ championships", having the largest most expensive new stadium, the $2500 front row seats for the wealthy, the ridiculous facial hair rule because they want to be portrayed as a "corporate business", the high prices free agents...this is the product the Yankees push to the fans and the media because they see themselves above every other franchise.

It boggles my mind how a franchise can spend so much yet have so many holes and no farm.

The old Yankee squad in the late 90s (yeah they had some roiders) played hard, got their uniforms dirty..........somewhere along the line the franchise lost its touch with their fans and things just fell out of place. The Yankees just kept spending more and more on position players and they have gotten proigressively worse and worse every year since then with all the 1st round massacre's, no playoffs last year, and now today.

....and then there are those obnoxious Yankee fans that end every arguement with "26" "26".......the only reason most Yankee fans toned it down lately is because they've come to realize that this isn't the same product anymore.

Boston and Tampa are young, Yankees are not......thats why they are struggling and will continue to do so.

I'm not sure exactly what your saying, people hate the Yankees because they market themselves as the most successful franchise in the sport? Becausethey don't allow there players to grow facial hair just like most businesses and some other sports teams? Becasue they built a new stadium and charge ahigh amount of money for there best seats?

Tampa is young. Boston and the Yankees are not.

Somehow none of this has nothing to do with the original topic at hand.

I'm talking from the media aspect, I'm saying you can't blame it all on the media because the Yankees are a team that really pushes the envelopewith their marketing with these high prices FA's and such. They see themselves as above and beyond the sport of baseball and the the whole facial hairthing, the corporate looking stadium, etc is all over the top, its freakin' baseball, a GAME. Its very easy to dislike what they are all about.

They have every right to charge what they want, but it does not look good when you have a whole section of seats empty. No other stadium comes remotely closeto charging $2500 seats, shoot even those $600-900 dollar seats are empty along the 1st and 3rd base lines....they are def going to have to go back to thedrawing board this off-season.

........that sentence was follwed by "and thats why they will continue to struggle", this is a Yankees struggling topic eh? The Yankees need to getyounger and need a farm if they no longer want to struggle.

Eh, I think most who don't like the Yankees don't like them because the organization and general fanbase think they're entitled and better thaneverybody.

Of course the franchise has won plenty and fielded many legendary players but they can't walk around each year with their noses up in the air because ofthose facts.

Plus, New Yankee Stadium epitomizes everything that's wrong with the franchise: overdone, overly-expensive, and overhyped.

And yes, their farm system is desert-dry.

This is why the BoSox and Rays are set for years to come - they've planned ahead.

The Yankees just bank on using their cash to buy up existing stars and think they can win by 'assembling' a roster.

Nope.

Mez 0ne wrote:
I'm talking from the media aspect, I'm saying you can't blame it all on the media because the Yankees are a team that really pushes the envelope with their marketing with these high prices FA's and such. They see themselves as above and beyond the sport of baseball and the the whole facial hair thing, the corporate looking stadium, etc is all over the top, its freakin' baseball, a GAME. Its very easy to dislike what they are all about.

They have every right to charge what they want, but it does not look good when you have a whole section of seats empty. No other stadium comes remotely close to charging $2500 seats, shoot even those $600-900 dollar seats are empty along the 1st and 3rd base lines....they are def going to have to go back to the drawing board this off-season.

........that sentence was follwed by "and thats why they will continue to struggle", this is a Yankees struggling topic eh? The Yankees need to get younger and need a farm if they no longer want to struggle.
So because the Yankee players aren't allowed to grow a beard and there are empty seats in there stadium they are struggling on the field?

The Yankees are struggling because A-Rod missed all but 3 games with a hip injury,Wang hasn't recovered from his foot injury last year, Marte got hurt inthe WBC, Bruney injured his elbow playing catch and Jorge Posada pulled a quad trying to break up a double play in the rain.

pimp.gif

Burns1923 wrote:
Eh, I think most who don't like the Yankees don't like them because the organization and general fanbase think they're entitled and better than everybody.

Of course the franchise has won plenty and fielded many legendary players but they can't walk around each year with their noses up in the air because of those facts.

Plus, New Yankee Stadium epitomizes everything that's wrong with the franchise: overdone, overly-expensive, and overhyped.

And yes, their farm system is desert-dry.

This is why the BoSox and Rays are set for years to come - they've planned ahead.

The Yankees just bank on using their cash to buy up existing stars and think they can win by 'assembling' a roster.

Nope.
Have you been to the New Yankee Stadium?

Can you name 5 players in the Yankee farm system?

Like I said there farm system is middle of the pack, not "desert dry", and thats only because they graduated there top prospects and there reallygood prospects are in high A ball. Next years I expect them to be maybe top 10 possibly in there farm.

You're missing the point, the whole media arguement has nothing to do with why they are struggling.....I'm just talking about why its easy to dislikethem (basically a continuation of Ry guys points with all the media reports, a-rod nonsense, etc). The "struggling" part I kept brief, mainly has todo with their age and how poorly the GM has built the team over the years.

But with all that aside, please don't bring up injuries as an excuse. Everyone knew they had a lot of injury prone players (and playersgetting older) so that is to be expected, it is not a surprise one bit.

And for a team to have a $200M payroll, how could they have no depth, no bench?. How do you have 2 of your catchers hurt, yet have to bring up a guy who wa****ting .150 in AA ball? Where is the farm depth?

The team is built all wrong.

Red Sox trade their best players away at the RIGHT time and keep bringing up younger guys who produce, making all the right trades.....Yankees need to followthis route and need to start letting go of some of their older guys regardless of how good they've been in the past, changes need to be made because teamsare getting younger.

WTH happened ta da marlins?....
nerd.gif

Last time i checked dey was 11-1....A couple weeks later dey 15-14...
smh.gif
Were dey do datt @...
nerd.gif

And i was just about ta go 2 my first baseball game eva, ta show support fa da home team, I guess datt money going 2 da dolphins

You guys touched on a lot of great points.

Building from within is the way to go, homegrown talent on top of getting a savvy veteran is the way to go. It took awhile, but I am glad the Dodgers went inthat direction. When they traded Piazza and Mondesi and got players like Sheffield, signed players like Kevin Brown, for the sole reason that they weretalented, the organization went downhill. Sheffield and Brown, are perfect examples of clubhouse cancers, despite their talent. That was under Fox,
smh.gif
. People forgot the Dodger way, finally McCourt bought the team. I don't agree with everything McCourt does, but I am glad he allowed his baseballoperations team to do all the work.

I have no doubt that the Dodgers under Fox would have pulled the trigger on the Miguel Cabrera for Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley, James Loney and JonathanBroxton deal. Cabrera is a great player, but that would have been a steep price. Hell, think of the Marlins if they would have had all those pieces,
smh.gif

The bottom line is people care about the name on the front of the uniform now, not just the back. Despite the Manny situation, this team will make it through.

Sorry to get sidetracked, but that is my observation, it is the route the Red Sox took and look at their organization and their newfound culture of winning.

The Yankees have the wrong formula, they went away from the formula that made them successful.

Look at this off season. Mark Teixeira, a Maryland guy, with ties to Baltimore. Yet the Yankees threw and absurd amount of money for him to become a Yankee. CC Sabathia, a West Coast guy, longing to return home. Well, $161 million changed that, now he is a Yankee. Bottom line is that they wanted to be somewhereelse, but they are Yankees because of the money.

I know it's early but it is still funny how many Yankee fans couldn't fathom finishing behind the Rays and the Red Sox this season in our MLBpredictions thread. We were crazy, the Yankees are too talented. It is early, but it isn't too hard to fathom now.

Mez 0ne wrote:
You're missing the point, the whole media arguement has nothing to do with why they are struggling.....I'm just talking about why its easy to dislike them (basically a continuation of Ry guys points with all the media reports, a-rod nonsense, etc). The "struggling" part I kept brief, mainly has to do with their age and how poorly the GM has built the team over the years.

But with all that aside, please don't bring up injuries as an excuse. Everyone knew they had a lot of injury prone players (and players getting older) so that is to be expected, it is not a surprise one bit.

And for a team to have a $200M payroll, how could they have no depth, no bench?. How do you have 2 of your catchers hurt, yet have to bring up a guy who was hitting .150 in AA ball? Where is the farm depth?

The team is built all wrong.

Red Sox trade their best players away at the RIGHT time and keep bringing up younger guys who produce, making all the right trades.....Yankees need to follow this route and need to start letting go of some of their older guys regardless of how good they've been in the past, changes need to be made because teams are getting younger.
So you take the winner of 2 out of the last 4 MVP's off of a team and there not expected to struggle? The number 2 starter?
How exactly is that an excuse? Take Wright, Pelfry, Putz and I guess Delgado (using him as Posada's production) off of your team would you expect them tobe .500 in the AL east?

There's no way you even believe the part I bolded. They lose an All Star catcher and one of the best backups in baseball and you expect them to plug a holewith someone repectable in that are? How good do you expect the third catchers on teams to be?

The last part I agree with you on. The Yankees need to cut ties with players instead of rewarding them for there past. This is something that will be big whenJeter's deal runs out.

Point is when you have an aging position player, a guy like Posada, you should start developing and looking for young guys who can play that position and lethim grow in the farm.....so in case something like this happens you never know, you'll find a guy who could be the next Joe M or Rusell martin, etc.Yankees pretty much just said hey, Posada is 36-37 but hes an all star, he'll be fine with a defensive catcher who cant hit a lick as his backup.

Yanks should be taking action, not sitting still waiting for things to happen, they seem to be a step too slow nowadays.

......with the wright, pelfrey, putz and gado talk...at least the Mets have been developing and trying to see what works. Parnell has already made a name forhimself since late last year, he will most likely be the 8th inning guy when Putz walks in the off-season. Murphy is a solid young hitter playing out ofposition and will probably be the Mets 1st baseman when gado walks......those are little things that make building a team important, having things in place(even if they don't work out). Pluging expensive FA's and losing draft picks is not the route that should be taken, you have to have a fair balancebetween the two.

Very true to give credit to the Sox. They moved Nomar, Pedro, AND Manny, 3 names that NO ONE would have figured be moved/traded/let go. That's goodbusiness sense right there.

Makes me wonder if the Yanks had moved Mo, Jeter, and Posada a couple years ago, how much better shape would they be in?

Something to think about I guess.

Marlins to a large extent do the same thing. Win a title, move everyone out, start from scratch, build a team, win a title, do it all over again.

Hey, at least you don't run the front ofice like the Pirates, they been rebuilding since 93.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Point is when you have an aging position player, a guy like Posada, you should start developing and looking for young guys who can play that position and let him grow in the farm.....so in case something like this happens you never know, you'll find a guy who could be the next Joe M or Rusell martin, etc. Yankees pretty much just said hey, Posada is 36-37 but hes an all star, he'll be fine with a defensive catcher who cant hit a lick as his backup.

Yanks should be taking action, not sitting still waiting for things to happen, they seem to be a step too slow nowadays.

......with the wright, pelfrey, putz and gado talk...at least the Mets have been developing and trying to see what works. Parnell has already made a name for himself since late last year, he will most likely be the 8th inning guy when Putz walks in the off-season. Murphy is a solid young hitter playing out of position and will probably be the Mets 1st baseman when gado walks......those are little things that make building a team important, having things in place (even if they don't work out). Pluging expensive FA's and losing draft picks is not the route that should be taken, you have to have a fair balance between the two.
Thats the things, the Yankees are developing catchers to take over for Posada when he is retired. Jesus Montero and Austine Romine are two verygood young catchers that in two years most likely be able to contribute on the MLB level.

If Wright gets hurt what depth do the Mets have that will be able to fill in for him?

The Yankees are developing players and seeing if they work. Just look at there bullpen, all home grown players for the most part (yes I know they havent playedthat well this year but they were very good last year). Damons deal is done this year and most likely Austin Jackson goes to center next year. That isntplanning?

You completly missed my point with what I said with Wrigth, Putz, Pelfry and Delgado though. Remove them from your team and where are you? .500? Worse? Thatsthe position the Yankees are in right now.

Boo the Yankees. They just try to buy a World Series every year. When they come up short you just have to sit back and laugh. Their new stadium don't have$4!+ on Pac Bell Park. Best address in baseball. Go GIANTS!

Marlins are cheap though thats why they blow things up, they'd probably have 1-2 more chips if they held things in place.

Originally Posted by MJsaver
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Point taken.

They're still my team but some of the things they've done especially recently has rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll never co sign the way they disrespected Joe Torre.

Girardi FTL
Fam, me and you are on the same page right there.

Also...
Originally Posted by true 3 blue

And speaking of, that's another thing I hate. Yankee fans (or fans of any team that is nationally hated) that don't accept the fact that the team is mediocre.
I DETEST that #%%%. Living in the past...
tired.gif

There's one of us who does this no matter what team or "side" he's on...I'm surprised he hasn't posted yet in here...

Originally Posted by Guerrilla Warfare

WTH happened ta da marlins?....
nerd.gif

Last time i checked dey was 11-1....A couple weeks later dey 15-14...
smh.gif
Were dey do datt @...
nerd.gif

And i was just about ta go 2 my first baseball game eva, ta show support fa da home team, I guess datt money going 2 da dolphins

I swear I feel like I am going in slow motion everytime I read this guy's responses.
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom