Serious Discusssion (Paging ABH, Illionaire, NostrandAve, Ben Baller):The State of Hip Hop Music

Well, I would leave my opinion, but I'm sure it's already been stated by now LOL.

Co-sign that Google Adsense money ideal though.

Great thread, glad to see a good discussion going on here.

Too many people to quote, but co-sign on a lot of what was said.

Originally Posted by 75 Partly Cloudy

I just really think a new way of SELLING music has to be established.

itunes/downloading is a short term solution.

I think people should build on what Prince did and have tours/shows with the price of a CD built into the cost. When the person leaves the arena they get a album. And it still counts for soundscan/billboard etc.

When I signed up for BMI i learned that manufacturers of blank cd's and dvd's have to pay a fee to the record industry which is suppose to be shared equally to all artist who are represented by BMI or ASCAP or through a personal lawyer. Which basically means that the companies know there product is being sold to help aid the illegal downloading of music and so does the recording industry. And if you don't read whats in your contract, like most artist, and sign for it you won't get your cut of the money.

It's deeper than rap. -Ross
eek.gif
I never knew that...

I disagree...I think there's a great POSITIVE effect of an artist having a certain look and image, as long as it truly represents him/her, nothing fake and pre-packaged
but many times a person's unique background story and physical appearance helps music audiences connect on a personal level to the music
On the flip side of that a lot of ppl judge music on an artist's appearance. And that really hurts the music. It's too easy for someoneto look the part now a days, and alot of ppl are too concerned with how an artist looks and what he/she is wearing as opposed to what they're saying.

I remember the first time I heard Em, he was on some Outsiderz joint Stretch used to play, the boy was nasty. I played it for one of my boys and he thoughtit was dope, until he found out he was a white kid from a trailer park. Should that really matter? No.

Being able to connect with the public is great, but it seems like more than often that line is blurred because it's too easy to look like something yournot.

We need to let the music not the music video speak for itself.

On the topic of Soundscan
Lets be real, an artist's popularity and success is going to based off of their sound scan numbers. If Wale (using him as exp. cause he's a member ofthe board) makes a dope album but main stream fails to recognize it, why is it considered a failure to some? He's coming into the game with a strongInternet buzz and those on the net are going to be the ones who support. The regular joe on the corner isn't gonna know who Wale is because they're nota web surfer. Radio and videos are and will always remain the greatest promotional tools. Is it hard to get a song played on the radio? Yes. Why? Cause radiois too corporate. And the lack of video programming means a lack of exposure for an artist. I have yet to see the Nike Boots video played on MTV or BET. Has itbeen played before? Probably so, but the outlets for exposure are decreasing for an artist to get mains stream recognition and everyone isn't web savvy.

On the topic of new artist going Independent
If the money isn't there then there is no possible way you can be successful independently. We all hear the stories of how labels were started with drugmoney and so on. Being independent doesn't mean just getting such and such off of how many albums sold. It also means that everything that is involved withthe project has to come out of your pocket. From producers, featured artist, videos, albums being pressed and distributed, to marketing and promotion has tocome out of your pocket. And you'll have to hire a team to handle such responsibilities.

Knowing the business is key and if you don't know the business you'll get burned. You have to own yourself and your brand and not have a major own you.That means registering your company, trademarking your name, owning your own publishing and knowing and being involved in everything that your name is attachedto.

Phillip and everyone who responded after him, thanks for the input.

The main reason I read Billboard from cover-to-cover every week is because so many people I've talked to have made a big deal about 'these numbers'and 'that contract.' When I was younger I used to just love being able to go read a magazine article about an artist I never heard of before. Forexample, I used to love reading VIBE's Next section. I used to feel like I could genuinely connect with a new artist based on the little piece on them. Now it's like everytime I read an article about an upcoming act there are a million things going through my head... Like, who is their publicist and whatare they getting out of this? How much of this is true? Just a ton of things...

Originally Posted by ILoveHipHop43

the thing is that there IS no artist development anymore...the people whp run the label dont care bout anything but hits...

My man....those days are OVER.

Look at it from their point of view: If the industry is sinkin' like the Titanic - why am I about to pour thousands of dollars into one artist todevelop 'em and hope that it one day translates into sales?

You know what artist development is in '09? Mixtapes, American Idol, and The Disney Channel.

Certified fans, buzz, and sales already - I ain't gotta develop +%+%, I just gotta get 'em to sign on the dotted line, throw some cash for a nicevideo, and sell 'em. From a greedy exec standpoint, all I need is one hit - I can flip that from radio, to satellite radio, to public performances, toringtones.

Look at Diddy and "Making the Band" - that's the new age artist development right in front of your eyes.
A buncha kids with little to moderate talent, thirsty for a deal, videotaped in a house - and packaged in a product for your consumption. Why take time totrain them how to perform, sing, and dance when I can just give 'em a TV show, make you talk about 'em at school and work, and sell you a rushed CDthat'll do decent numbers?

It's a win-win if you Sean John - you tunin' into my show, and buyin' my artist. Straight cash homey.

My man....those days are OVER.

Look at it from their point of view: If the industry is sinkin' like the Titanic - why am I about to pour thousands of dollars into one artist to develop 'em and hope that it one day translates into sales?

You know what artist development is in '09? Mixtapes, American Idol, and The Disney Channel.

Certified fans, buzz, and sales already - I ain't gotta develop +%+%, I just gotta get 'em to sign on the dotted line, throw some cash for a nice video, and sell 'em. From a greedy exec standpoint, all I need is one hit - I can flip that from radio, to satellite radio, to public performances, to ringtones.
true story.

Hell...touring....if artists would go on a college tour it would help them in that market...by 1. reaching a demographic labels CRAVE, 2. build up brandloyalty....

I was shocked that ppl still wanna do Ringtones in '09. From a mkting standpoint, it's a bit cheesy IMO.

old Lenny S interviews. my FF wont let me Embed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OMtV9R1S0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S51zZy83gls&feature=PlayList&p=DB499E79F51CF815&playnext=1&index=42http://www.youtube.com/wa...p;playnext=1&index=42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Xu9joz86s&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/wa...oz86s&feature=related

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

I was shocked that ppl still wanna do Ringtones in '09. From a mkting standpoint, it's a bit cheesy IMO.
some artists are going to be cheesy anyway, might as well make some $ while females and wayward teenage boys are eating it up
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

some artists are going to be cheesy anyway, might as well make some $ while females and wayward teenage boys are eating it up
laugh.gif

Ya'll is ring tone Platinum but 99 cent adds up
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Executive76

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

laugh.gif

Ya'll is ring tone Platinum but 14 cent adds up
pimp.gif

I don't know what to say about this topic.People just gotta take it for what it is.

A lot of them dudes working up at the labels don't got an idea what they are doing.That's not only in music that's in life alone.

Its a new generation and new market now. Just gotta live with it and support what u support.

Back
Top Bottom