Setting the record straight re: Steve's lies.

Quote:
It saddens me as a collector that the hobby has been diminished to this. I find it pathetic that Jordan brand can now get away with their thunder and lightning package whereas in 2000 Nike attempted to release artificially limited products with a built-in demand markup like the All Star Payton IV (a shoe they warned consumers NOT to play in), or the $250 platinumposite and these products BOMBED.
From the
North to The South
To The East and the West
Bringing you the Best of the BS

Quote:
remember the over priced Iversons with diamonds on eastbay?
:lol:
laugh.gif
0]
alien.gif
Wanted: Size 13/14 Huarache Lights and rare Huarache Bursts​
TeamEagles
In FIVE I trust​

my bro copped those platinum flightposites, those were CRACK :pimp:
pimp.gif
and his friend copped 2, (1 because the keychain that came with the 1st pair fell off the shoe :lol:
laugh.gif
TEAMNEWYORKKNICKS
TEAMYANKEES

Wow, I really thought I was the only one who thought these things about Steve. He just seems like a super shady dude from the get go. And dont even get me started on the Sneaker Comps. Completely ruined sneakers as I grew up knowing them. If you really wanted to give people the opportunity to get together and share sneakers/sneaker stories, then why not create a very official summit, where you invited the most prolific names in the shoe game to display their craziest sneaks? why did their have to be a winner? That single handedly ruined the sneaker game, and that sentiment was shared by RK himself. I wouldn't be surprised if RK completely disassociated himself from Steve/ISS/SC in the near future. I guess he's tired of carrying the burden surrounding Steve and all his crap, made even more evident by this rant of his. Is dude seriously bragging about bandwidth and who has more megakilobytes of RAM???? SMH. I thought his interests lied in sneakers, not who could geek out more about computer/internet capabilities.
Steve is just a pawn in the game. If you've noticed, Jordan Brand stopped releasing their annual magazine because, in the words of a Jordan official, "we don't need to put out the magazine anymore, we can USE Sole Collector to get our products out/message across."
I really hope this sheds light on what Steve is really about, thanks Meth for speaking so eloquently, and bringing this to light...
TEAM 909 DUNK DOOD
"Bringing a little bit of the 909 to Beaverton"

Quote:
Completely off-topic, but who is the character in Method Man's avy? Looks like some Robo-Cop jumpoff.

Quote:
How old are you?

Quote:
That's a damn shame. :smh:
smh.gif

Quote:
:smh:
smh.gif
What is wrong with our youth today?!?!?!

Quote:
smh.gif

Dude is going to mention RoboCop but has no idea how the hell the OG Cobra Commander looks like.

Quote:
smh.gif
smh.gif

Quote:
That is a damn shame.

:rofl:
roll.gif
NEED SWAGGER?
HERE, TAKE SOME OF MINE.

Quote:
i read more in this post than i did in HS
:lol:
laugh.gif
:b
tongue.gif
I finally got to the last page of this thread! Didn't think I was going to read the whole thing but every page kept you wanting to see what was going to happen next. Gotta love this place!

I actually was/is in love with those platinumposites. Was trying to save up $500 for a pair to keep DS and a pair to rock on occasion but fell well short. Wish I would have gotten my hands on them. As for those other BG shoes (the blue ones and the poop gold) they were gross and I remember the gold ones going for $40 on eBay DS.

Those remind me about how bad I wanted to pick up the white/green, white/blue, or white/black FPIII's when they were cheap but eastbay screwed up my order bad and I'll never forget it. Same thing happened with the TB Shox BB4s it brings back bad memories. I hate eastbay!

anyone have more pics?

From the
North to The South
To The East and the West
Bringing you the Best of the BS

Quote:
It is not, in my opinion, a legitimate or authentic source of information regarding sneaker culture - no matter how many real sneaker fans they may lease. (You're kidding yourself if you think the few true sneaker fans on staff get anywhere near total control of their own stories) It is completely and utterly subservient to sneaker companies. They're not journalists, they're copywriters. Whatever shoe companies want to push, $ will blindly promote. They demonstrate total fealty to industry and an utter lack of integrity.
DON'T PUT UP NO BRICK
The B.O.P.​

Billy/Dirk, I'm glad to hear that you're actually trying to produce honest reviews and hold the industry accountable for the utter stagnation we've experienced in performance footwear over the last few years. I would like to read your review, as I believe you to be an honest guy and a true sneaker fan. That said, you're also familiar with some of the Jordan designers and I certainly hope that you would place the integrity of your reviews and your loyalty to the consumer ahead of whatever friendships or acquaintances you may have in Beaverton, because it's in this area where I find other reviewers have utterly failed to uphold their obligations.

I've noticed an enormous discrepancy between the way a fatally flawed Reebok product is treated versus a fatally flawed Jordan product, for example. One review pulls cards, the other pulls punches.

It's never "this product strikes me as a rip off at $175 given the lackluster material quality and warmed over attempts at "innovation." Either wait until it hits the bargain bin or buy ____ instead, it performs just as well at nearly half the price." it's "this might be a wee bit pricey for some, and traction isn't quite as orgasmic as Jordans usually are - which is so not the fault of the designer, who's a total sweetheart and has beautiful children, so I can't give it full credit. Tragically, I'll have to give this my worst review ever for a Jordan: eight thumbs up." Meanwhile the Reebok review is just plain mean-spirited by comparison.

They'll point out one or two minor drawbacks in a Jordan review, but take special care not to hurt feelings, paint in silver linings for every failure, and 90% of the review will consist of unquestioned, regurgitated marketing copy regarding the product's "innovative" tech, history, design inspirations etc.

We as consumers need public advocates - people whose FIRST loyalty is to the end user and who will NEVER spare the feelings of the designer or company. This is exactly why Consumer Reports prohibits their reviewers from fraternizing with employees or representatives of the company whose products will be reviewed - and forget about accepting gifts. You've been put in a VERY difficult position in this regard due to the nature of the publication you're now working for, but I wish you all the best and I certainly hope your reviews are able to influence the types of change we as consumers have been urging for years.

You say that those in Beaverton like being challenged and that's great, but as a fan I'd rather you not care at ALL about their personal feelings. If you're reading a product review, I know you don't want the author to even subconsciously wonder "if I say it like this, will so and so still like me? How will they react to this? Should I maybe pull it back just an inch?"

I'd rather the thought process be "If I pull my punches, will that 13 year old kid still think enough of the product to beg his mother to scrap and save and work overtime to buy these for him? If I don't think this product is up to par, shouldn't I make that absolutely clear to everyone reading, designers be damned? Shouldn't my review hammer that point home rather than merely touch on it?"

I haven't read your reviews yet, but I truly hope that they are as fearless or MORE fearless than anything you'd express behind closed doors, surrounded only by other long-time sneaker fans. That's what we should expect from each other, that's what we want and need as fans. We don't want the "Slam magazine" of sneakers, where everything's a shameless PR puff piece. Is that reflective of how we really see sneakers these days?

I can say that every single shoe company employee I've spent more than 30 seconds with has heard at LEAST one complaint, and far more complaint than praise overall. Why? As a sneaker fan, that's what I'd want someone else to do in that situation.

Personally, I find it sad that when some of these collectors are talking with others either in person or on forums like this one, they share one set of opinions and then, when they actually have their "big chance" to communicate those views directly with people in the industry they stop thinking about "we" and start thinking about "me." It's precisely because they ARE such big fans that they turn into a pack of slobbering sycophants when they actually receive the opportunity to visit Beaverton.

"OMG that is THE Tinker Hatfield! I can't afford to insult Tinker Hatfield! It would be SO FREAKING COOL if Tinker Hatfield would remember my name and maybe hook me up with some prototype samples and sign them!!! Mr. Hatfield, sir, I j-j-j-ust want to say what a BIG fan I am, sir! It's such an HONOR to meet you!" Yet last week, when it was just us lowly sneaker fans, that same guy's sitting around talking about how patent leather killed the XX, how he's sick of Jordan brand trying to remake the XI ad infinitum, thus and so. Spines turn flaccid, testicles withdraw into the abdominal cavity. Loyalties change.

Not everyone is that way, of course, but it's one of the problems that has damned most fan forays into "journalism," that and overt complicity between the publication and the sneaker brands in the form of mutual back scratching and publicity. "You promote us, we'll promote you." It's only behind closed doors that either one can, and so frequently does, disparage the other.

I think it's telling that even the Wall Street Journal, whose writers typically couldn't be further removed from our community, can produce and run a story detailing how sneaker companies are alienating real collectors, yet the so-called sneaker collector magazine is afraid to touch it with a 40 foot pole.

too-much-sole-wsj-2.jpg

Has it really come to this, that the WALL STREET JOURNAL is more in touch with sneaker collectors than $?

I do hope as a sneaker fan that the magazine changes for the better, but from what I understand the true fans on staff like you and Alex fight and lose a great many battles with regard to the type of content YOU would like to see included in the magazine. I know you guys aren't the ones pushing to include smutty centerfolds in a magazine that targets 12 year olds. I know you're not pushing for sneaker competitions or interested in creating puff pieces.

I wish you and Alex the best of luck, but more than that I hope you use this opportunity as a stepping stone toward your REAL dreams.

Quote:
These kids parents though need to be blamed for this hypebeast stuff. How are you gonna allow your kid to buy a $500 pair of shoes? Can't blame dude for taking advantage of this IMO

I dont believe that is a strong rebuttal. Same reason guns dont kill people. people kill people. Fact of the matter is we live in a society wherein alcohol and tobacco (for instance) are heavily exposed in advertising and even with the age restrictions, easily available to young children. There are always people out there taking advantage and exploiting these people. What puzzles me is how they have the audacity to claim that they were trying to help out.

Quote:
You and Daft Punk are rivaling with the most amount of love, and being famous for a masked face.

Quote:
As far as the Ol Skool references....Try telling young'nz that Spider-Man was a TV series ( no not cartoon) before it was ever a movie trilogy..see the looks you get then...
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
Smith, Davis, Gore...
Friday Night Lights is the best show on TV​

Back
Top Bottom