Sex for Student Loans: Increasing trend among college students/grads.

article is a good read if u can spare 15 min. here is an excerpt that explains whats going on..

NEW YORK -- On a Sunday morning in late May, Taylor left her Harlem apartment and boarded a train for Greenwich, Conn. She planned on spending the day with a man she had met online, but not in person.

Taylor, a 22-year-old student at Hunter College, had confided in her roommate about the trip and they agreed to swap text messages during the day to make sure she was safe.

Once in Greenwich, a man who appeared significantly older than his advertised age of 42 greeted Taylor at the train station and then drove her to the largest house she had ever seen. He changed into his swimming trunks, she put on a skimpy bathing suit, and then, by the side of his pool, she rubbed sunscreen into the folds of his sagging back -- bracing herself to endure an afternoon of sex with someone she suspected was actually about 30 years her senior.

Taylor doubted that her client could relate to someone who had grown up black and poor in the South Bronx. While he summered on Martha's Vineyard, she'd likely pass another July and August working retail in Times Square.

A love match it wasn't. But then again, this was no ordinary date.

A month prior, faced with about $15,000 in unpaid tuition and overdue bills, Taylor and her roommate typed "tuition," "debt," and "money for school" into Google. A website called SeekingArrangement.com popped up. Intrigued by the promise of what the site billed as a "college tuition sugar daddy," Taylor created a "sugar baby" profile and eventually connected with the man from Greenwich. ("Taylor" is the pseudonym she uses with men she meets online. Neither she nor any of the other women interviewed for this article permitted their real names be used.)

In her profile on the site, Taylor describes herself as "a full-time college student studying psychology and looking to meet someone to help pay the bills." Photos on the site show her in revealing outfits, a mane of caramel-colored hair framing her face. But unlike other dating sites, where a user might also list preferred hobbies or desired traits, Taylor instead indicates preferences for a "sugar daddy" and an "arrangement" in the range of $1,000 to $3,000 a month.

Saddled with piles of student debt and a job-scarce, lackluster economy, current college students and recent graduates are selling themselves to pursue a diploma or pay down their loans. An increasing number, according to the the owners of websites that broker such hook-ups, have taken to the web in search of online suitors or wealthy benefactors who, in exchange for sex, companionship, or both, might help with the bills.

The past few years have taken an especially brutal toll on the plans and expectations of 20-somethings. As unemployment rates tick steadily higher, starting salaries have plummeted. Meanwhile, according to Jeffrey Jensen Arnett, a professor of psychology at Clark University, about 85 percent of the class of 2011 will likely move back in with their parents during some period of their post-college years, compared with 40 percent a decade ago.

Besides moving back home, many 20-somethings are beginning their adult lives shouldering substantial amounts of student loan debt. According to Mark Kantrowitz, who publishes the financial aid websites Fastweb.com and Finaid.org, while the average 2011 graduate finished school with about $27,200 in debt, many are straining to pay off significantly greater loans.

Enter the sugar daddy, sugar baby phenomenon. This particular dynamic preceded the economic meltdown, of course. Rich guys well past their prime have been plunking down money for thousands of years in search of a tryst or something more with women half their age -- and women, willingly or not, have made themselves available. With the whole process going digital, women passing through a system of higher education that fosters indebtedness are using the anonymity of the web to sell their wares and pay down their college loans.

"Over the past few years, the number of college students using our site has exploded," says Brandon Wade, the 41-year-old founder of Seeking Arrangement. Of the site's approximately 800,000 members, Wade estimates that 35 percent are students. "College students are one of the biggest segments of our sugar babies and the numbers are growing all the time."

Wade identifies clients who might be students on his site by a .edu email address, which the site verifies before it will allow a profile to become active. Currently, 82,510 profiles on the site contain one or more of the following keywords: school, college, university, money for school, student debt, college debt, tuition or college expenses. Wade says 110,126 women and 25,363 men list "student" as their occupation.

Wade rewards students who use a .edu email address to register on Seeking Arrangement by automatically upgrading their free, basic membership to a premium membership, allowing them to send unlimited free messages and granting them exclusive access to the site's cadre of VIP sugar daddies. The site also includes a complimentary stamp on sudent profiles, certifying them as a "college sugar baby."

Wade sees his company as providing a unique service, a chance for "men and women living through tough economic times to afford college." He bristles at the notion that he's merely running a thinly veiled, digital bordello, choosing instead to describe his site as one that facilitates "mutually beneficial relationships."

Taylor doesn't explicitly refer to what she was doing in Greenwich as prostitution, but she now allows that her primary motivation was, indeed, money. She and her host ended up in his bedroom, where he peeled off her bikini.

"I just wanted to get it over and done with as quickly as possible," recalls Taylor, forcing out a nervous smile. "I just wanted to get out of that situation as safely as possible, pay off my debt, and move on."

While she and her host hadn't agreed to a set amount of money, on the drive back to the train station in Greenwich he handed her $350 in cash. She pocketed the envelope, seeing it as decent money for half a day's work. But once on the train and no longer worried for her safety, she started to agonize over what she had just done.

"I never thought it would come to this. I got on the train and I felt dirty. I mean, I had just gotten money for having sex," says Taylor, who never heard from the guy in Greenwich again. "I guess I accomplished what I needed to do. I needed the money for school. I just did what needed to be done."

And she's still doing what needs to be done. With tuition due in September to pay for her last semester of college, Taylor's back on the hunt for other, more lucrative online hookups.

whether or not you cosign these girls doing it to make ends meet is one thing. but i def will agree that the crappy economy is a big reason for this...that and majoring in something stupid like communications or psyc doesn't help either.

30t6p3b.gif
its a shame. i feel bad for em.

Its the scam of going to school. Go to school get a job pay your loan. Yea right. If you dont get the job 2 seconds after you graduate the interest sky rockets. She shoulda borrowed money from the mafia. It woulda been safer.

F every single bank in america.

It's hard out here. At least women have this option...what are we supposed to do?!?!?

Originally Posted by MrBrown

Girls have it so easy sometimes
I'm saying. As demeaning as some may see it they giving up the box for thousands of dollars AND they getting to pay off student loans. Can't feel bad for them just because they're females, especially when anybody chooses to do this.

Sugar momma sites
nerd.gif

Yo I would smash old ugly fat ladies for a couple stacks every month... Ssssshhhiiiiiiitttttttt!!!

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by MrBrown

Girls have it so easy sometimes
I'm saying. As demeaning as some may see it they giving up the box for thousands of dollars AND they getting to pay off student loans. Can't feel bad for them just because they're females, especially when anybody chooses to do this.

laugh.gif
if there were one with cougars I'd be attending Harvard. I dont care if she makes me go back to her a couple times. Just for my degree though.

Dont think there's any stupid majors. Its way too real for everyone out here. But these really extreme measures.

feel bad for the dudes with no options...

college isn't going to help a girl that gives it up for $350 for half a day of prostitution

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Most shocking part is that it took OP 15 minutes to read that article.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
maybe a bit longer then? either way i was amazed that more and more college girls are doing this/men for bread, i couldn't stop reading.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Juicy J 32 said:
Originally Posted by HankMoody

Most shocking part is that it took OP 15 minutes to read that article.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
maybe a bit longer then? either way i was amazed that more and more college girls are doing this/men for bread, i couldn't stop reading.

Of course! The slight would go over your head.

Back
Top Bottom