SF Cops Shoots Suspected Stabber

Releasing his past info right as they release his name is bs. Did u know many courts disallow the past to be told to jurors as they sit on the jury? Convicted rapists in the past have a clean slate for future trials of crimes they "committed"? But here the cops are quick to paint him as a terrible person. The dead don't have a voice and the cops know it.
You know this wasn't a court case right. This is a news report. You want the news to never mention people's background history when reporting on an event?

The cops probably had no idea who he was when they arrived on the scene.

A man walking by the scene, who identified himself only as Angelo, grew visibly emotional when he heard Woods was the man who'd been shot.

“No, man, not Mario,” he said as he walked his young daughter past the memorial. “These cops have no respect for human life.”

Smith, who had seen the video of the run up to the shooting widely circulated on social media, said he thought the officers could have resolved the situation without resorting to deadly force.

“They had six officers against this one little guy. They could have used batons. They could have backed off,” he said. “They didn’t need to shoot him. He wouldn’t hurt a fly.”
Did he have respect for the stab victim's earlier?

Batons? What is this? 1920s logic? The guy had a kitchen knife, not a sling shot.

Last edited:
idk man, looks like they did their job. dude had a knife, was told repeatedly to put it down, didn't, got shot.

As much as I'm anti-gun I'm fine with him getting shot in this scenario - just not 15 times. He needed incapacitated, not annihalated. Different if he had a bomb or something but a knife isn't a long distance weapon.

And people who always criticize the number of shots. Do you realize that officers don't take turns shooting. It's not like Cop A waits for Cop B to shot, and then see if he missed or not and then it's his turn.

Well, they should, someone should be in charge and they get to take the guy out. This isn't a firefight, it should be a controlled takedown of a threat.

Batons? What is this? 1920s logic? The guy had a kitchen knife, not a sling shot.

I'm sort of with you on the first part - he stabbed people, he should expect to be dealt with harshly because of that - but a long baton is a pretty reasonable thing to use against a knife - especially if you had 6 of them and riot shields. I'd take those odds.

idk man, looks like they did their job. dude had a knife, was told repeatedly to put it down, didn't, got shot.

As much as I'm anti-gun I'm fine with him getting shot in this scenario - just not 15 times. He needed incapacitated, not annihalated. Different if he had a bomb or something but a knife isn't a long distance weapon.

I understand that, but factor this. I didn't see the video, but the article says there were 6 officers. I don't think in this situation they can decide who should take the shot since things can happen very fast, so they all did. theres your 15 shots.

idk, i don't know anything about police tactics, just my opinion.

Last edited:

Have you seen the batons cops have? I've had three batons personally and they are MUCH longer than that knife he had. I had one that was close to 3 feet.

I do think there is  a disconnect between what citizens feel we know about police training and what they actually know. Movies show so many different ways cops get training that we obviously accept that as the way they are actually trained. Their training needs to be made plain so we can know for certain what they are trained and can judge better if they did their job appropriately

Have you seen the batons cops have? I've had three batons personally and they are MUCH longer than that knife he had. I had one that was close to 3 feet.

I do think there is  a disconnect between what citizens feel we know about police training and what they actually know. Movies show so many different ways cops get training that we obviously accept that as the way they are actually trained. Their training needs to be made plain so we can know for certain what they are trained and can judge better if they did their job appropriately
If your an officer an you just arrived on the scene, and you were told that the suspect has already stabbed someone previously and is brandishing a long kitchen knife in public and refuse to let go of it, do you first reach for your service piece which allows you to be further away from the danger OR do you get in close with your 3 feet baton and risk getting stabbed, or cut horribly because you're dressed in patrol outfits and not riot gear, or the suspect escaping and taking a hostage/stabbing someone else?

Come on now.

Last edited:
Well, they should, someone should be in charge and they get to take the guy out. This isn't a firefight, it should be a controlled takedown of a threat.
I'm sort of with you on the first part - he stabbed people, he should expect to be dealt with harshly because of that - but a long baton is a pretty reasonable thing to use against a knife - especially if you had 6 of them and riot shields. I'd take those odds.
I think you're thinking of a hostage situation. This was officers responding to a call. They don't get out their cars and start shooting out their ranks to see who can shoot first. They don't have riot shields in their cars either. These are street cops with plain clothes. A knife would go through that like butter.

And why use a baton when you have a piece? Are you going to take that chance and have this guy kill a citizen/a fellow cop cuz you wanted to play it safe with a baton first?

Lesson to be learned is, if you have 6 cops on you with guns drawn, drop your weapon, and fall to the ground immediately.

This was probably suicide by cop.

If your an officer an you just arrived on the scene, and you were told that the suspect has already stabbed someone previously and is brandishing a long kitchen knife in public and refuse to let go of it, do you first reach for your service piece which allows you to be further away from the danger OR do you get in close with your 3 feet baton and risk getting stabbed, or cut horribly because you're dressed in patrol outfits and not riot gear, or the suspect escaping and taking a hostage/stabbing someone else?

Come on now.
Don't think I don't understand. I get it. My maiin complaint is the fact that EVERY COP had their gun drawn. If he is that dangerous back up and get some cover. But to have 8 cops stand within 7 feet all drawn ready to fire on 1 man with a knife and EVERYBODY fire? Overkill.

I'd understand if he had a gun and that first gun shot goes off, yea there's no way of knowing who shot first so yea fire off some just in case. but that first shot could only have come from a fellow officer, so before i pop off as many times as possible let me ensure I only fire if my additional shots are necessary

Don't think I don't understand. I get it. My maiin complaint is the fact that EVERY COP had their gun drawn. If he is that dangerous back up and get some cover. But to have 8 cops stand within 7 feet all drawn ready to fire on 1 man with a knife and EVERYBODY fire? Overkill.

I'd understand if he had a gun and that first gun shot goes off, yea there's no way of knowing who shot first so yea fire off some just in case. but that first shot could only have come from a fellow officer, so before i pop off as many times as possible let me ensure I only fire if my additional shots are necessary
How about this scenario. What if they didn't all cover him fully, and there was a gap of space and he somehow ran away because you were busy trying to shoot him with tasers and hitting him with your batons. He runs down the block and stabs someone else.
Then who's to blame.

Cops arrive at the scene and are trained to participate. They cant be like, oh Jim and Harry got this, I'll just sit this one out.

They probably started out as a big circle and enclosed on him, instructioning him to drop his weapon, and not allowing him to escape. This wasn't an abandoned alley where he couldn't harm anyone but himself or the cops. This was middle of the afternoon in public. They not going to be like. Oh theres already 2 guns out, i'll stick to my baton I guess.

Once you pull a weapon on an cop armed individual, all gloves are off.

Fixed.

Nobody gets immobilized as in shot in the legs. Its always 15-16 slugs in the torso. Its the mind games indoctrinating in the form of range training. The silouette is always a torso based target.

This.

I just don't understand why they have to aim at the torso. It makes no sense. If a guy is carrying a knife, wouldn't the logically target be his hand?

Last edited:
Fixed.
This.

I just don't understand why they have to aim at the torso. It makes no sense. If a guy is carrying a knife, wouldn't the logically target be his hand?
Have you every fired a gun before?

Why aim for the hand when you can just aim for the knife?
grin.gif

I'd assume the excuse here would be that would be expecting too much of an everyday cop. That's a decently skillful shot to shoot someone in the hand in the moment

I can dig it. Just hate the end results
respect.

Black lives matter and theres probably plenty of awful cops out there.

But this situation is not what you want to use as exhibit A if you trying to push your agenda. (not speaking about you iamDEF)

I got you. That's why they really have to break down what police protocal is because it's people like me that watch movies and television and there's ALWAYS one cop who steps up and gets the armed man to chill out or disarm the guy and we apply that to real life but we are wrong/misinformed

Fixed.

This.

Have you every fired a gun before?

Why aim for the hand when you can just aim for the knife? >D

Because the hand would offer you a larger surface area to aim at, thus reducing the chance of missing your target and hitting an innocent civilian.

I got you. That's why they really have to break down what police protocal is because it's people like me that watch movies and television and there's ALWAYS one cop who steps up and gets the armed man to chill out or disarm the guy and we apply that to real life but we are wrong/misinformed
I feel you. Most people think they should get a family member to get on the blowhorn to distract the suspect while the black belt rookie comes from the back and roundhouse kick the weapon out of the suspects hand.
Because the hand would offer you a larger surface area to aim at, thus reducing the chance of missing your target and hitting an innocent civilian.
How about we apply that exact logic to a larger mass, perhaps, the torso?

All we need is cops shooting at hands, missing, and hitting bystanders lol. Chaos would ensue.

laugh.gif
No sane person would aim for hands. There's just crazy if you ever shot off a gun at a range. Now imagine that paper target was much smaller and moves at the speed of a hand.

Should have cops shoot off all the fingers of armed suspects so they can't pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom