Shooting at Ohio State University

The shooting occurred early Tuesday at a power plant building near Ohio Stadium at Ohio State University.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Two wounded victims taken to hospital; one is in critical condition, police say
  • Shooting involved no students, police say
  • Shooting comes after Ohio State issued e-mail alerts recently about two assaults, paper says

RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- Three Ohio State University employeeswere shot, one of them fatally, in an early Tuesday morning attack oncampus, university police said.

The alleged shooter was in custody, said Ohio State University Police Chief Paul Denton.

Nostudents were involved in the shooting, which occurred around 3:30 a.m.ET at the McCracken Power Plant building on West 17th Avenue near OhioStadium, Denton said.

The two wounded victims were taken to a hospital; one was in critical condition, he added.

Denton did not release the names of anyone involved in the shooting nor a motive.

E-mail alerts were sent to students warning them about the shooting, the university said.

Theshooting comes after the university issued e-mail alerts last weekabout two alleged sexual assaults and an attempted assault on campus, Ohio State's student newspaper reported.

Thestudent newspaper, The Lantern, published an article Sunday saying thatstudents were questioning the effectiveness of e-mail alerts designedto warn them after three serious crimes last week.

Studentsare allowed to choose if they want to receive the e-mail alerts. On thecampus of 50,000-plus students, a little more than 2,600 people receivethe e-mails, police told the student paper.

Auniversity committee was scheduled to meet this week to determine ifchanges needed to be made to the notification system, The Lanternreported.

Link

Terrible situation. RIP to the person who passed away...hopefully the others who were wounded pull through.

tired.gif

For what it's worth, the university did a great job with letting people know what was going on and squashing the rumor mill.  Within the hour of the shooting I got a text with the pertinent info - shooting on campus, one dead, suspect in custody, everything handled and back to normal - followed shortly by a recorded message on my phone.  This morning already we've gotten two emails with all the deets and, again, letting people know that it's over and there isn't anything further to worry about surrounding the incident. 

I've been places where when stuff goes down, no one says anything official for weeks and everyone speculates and guesses the whole time and people's imaginations come up with stuff way worse than the actual story.

former employee taking revenge? who else does something like that at 3:30 am est?

also, who checks their email that late or even when they first wake up? Email notify systems are not ideal.

Here at KU they send out mass text to everyone's cell. Just the other day I was at the rec and some weird beeping noise came on over the intercom. I thought someone pressed the emergency door exit on accident, but it was actually the cops notifying everyone that there was an armed robbery a couple blocks away. They held us in that joint for a while...Shiii keeps gettin' crazier everyday.

Back
Top Bottom