Shooting on Santa Monica College Campus - 6 Dead - Gunman ID'd.

mean.gif
 Sad

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — Officials say a man who went on a shooting rampage in Santa Monica, Calif., began the rampage by killing his father and brother.

Meanwhile, a police spokesman says five people, including the gunman, are dead. Police said earlier that seven people were killed, including the gunman.

Two officials briefed on the investigation say the killings Friday began as a domestic violence incident.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the case.

The officials say the first two victims were the brother and father of the gunman. They were found in a burning home about a mile from the Santa Monica College campus where the gunman was killed.

Police say the gunman killed two more people and injured several others before officers fatally shot him in the college library.

I got the same call sucks because my car is parked on the campus parking lot and the ******g police won't let me get it.. talking about I have to wait until "our investigation is over" ....

I got the same call sucks because my car is parked on the campus parking lot and the ******g police won't let me get it.. talking about I have to wait until "our investigation is over" ....

You're still on campus?

no the building I was in got evacuated but when I was walking to my car they wouldn't even let me see it . ... had to get the homie to take me home

terrible tragedy today
mean.gif

smc is always wildin though (smc thread in disguise?)

Wow I haven't seen this on the news, and this thread is only 2 pages..Is this an indication that we have gotten numb to this?

Wow I haven't seen this on the news, and this thread is only 2 pages..Is this an indication that we have gotten numb to this?

Kinda what I've been thinking.

No ones talking about this on FB either, compared to Sandy Hook, Aurora, etc ..

this guy had something awful planned, glad you're safe Nawz

the interest in the story seems to have deflated rather quickly, any other time you'd turn on the news

and their scheduled programming would have been preempted with 24hr coverage of this for at least 2 days

what is the demographic of that area?

this guy had something awful planned, glad you're safe Nawz
the interest in the story seems to have deflated rather quickly, any other time you'd turn on the news
and their scheduled programming would have been preempted with 24hr coverage of this for at least 2 days
what is the demographic of that area?

It's sad man. It's like Sandy Hook and the Marathon bombings have turned incidents like these into "non-stories."

The only good you can take out of it is the possibility of copycats being deterred because of the lack of consistency in coverage.

I can't really speak on the city itself, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly white.

The school is extremely diverse though. We have a lot of international students here.

Man its so chilling to me hearing and reading all of this I remember going to that library to study. Went there for a semester and I loved it. The French chicks in my class were so beautiful. The counselors were amazing. There's a reason its one of the schools in CA with the highest % of international studenta

This is nuts, I can't wrap my head around how people can do this, it's like we're living in a comic book or a movie but there's no super heroes coming out to stop these guys from killing people.

Strangely odd that Obama was to be in the area. Wasn't this also the case for the Boston marathon bomber?

Strangely odd that Obama was to be in the area. Wasn't this also the case for the Boston marathon bomber?

From what I've been hearing Obama's presence had nothing to do with it. It stemmed from a domestic issue.

Also reports the shooter had mental issues:

The gunman who killed four people in a shooting rampage that ended at Santa Monica College on Friday had suffered from mental health issues, CNN reported.

Two years ago, he was hospitalized for treatment after allegedly talking about harming someone, a law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation told CNN.

It's not clear how he was committed or under what circumstances he was

This is nuts, I can't wrap my head around how people can do this, it's like we're living in a comic book or a movie but there's no super heroes coming out to stop these guys from killing people.

Seriously. Like why the **** do these stupid people shoot random people!? If you want to kill someone so bad just kill yourself and be done with it. *******.

For 22 years, Carlos Navarro Franco tended the grounds of Santa Monica College. An immigrant from Mexico, he was proud that his hard work helped plant the seeds for his children's education.

His youngest daughter, Marcela, 26, was studying psychology and was signed up to take summer classes at the college.

On Friday, father was driving daughter to buy books for those classes on campus when a gunman fired at their red SUV.

Carlos, 68, died at the scene. Marcela was taken to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where she is in critical condition.

Ramona Franco, Carlos' wife, has been at her daughter's side at the hospital. She came home to the family apartment briefly around 3 a.m. Saturday to freshen up before rushing back, said Ramona's stepbrother John Sanchez, who lives in the apartment below.

"It's too much," Sanchez said, his eyes tearing up, of the loss his stepsister has endured.

Carlos and Ramona had three children. Their eldest daughter is Leticia, 32.

Two summers ago, their middle child, also named Carlos, was killed in a car accident.

On Saturday, the small, two-story apartment building where the family lived in the Sawtelle section of L.A. was a place of grief and prayer, with relatives and friends coming and going, many asking for the latest news about Marcela.

Sanchez said she was not expected to survive. He described her as "full of life" and "bubbly … always smiling."

Sanchez said he had not heard anything about the Santa Monica shootings until a neighbor told him when he got home from work on Friday. The story quickly became personal when he turned on the news and recognized his brother-in-law's car.

On Saturday, the college's president, Chui L. Tsang, sent a letter to the college community about the Franco family.

"Carlos was truly a family man," Tsang wrote. "He was a dedicated husband and father and an integral part of the Santa Monica College family. His dedicated work to the campus grounds was enjoyed by students and visitors for two decades. He will be sorely missed."

Several of Carlos Franco's relatives also work at the college. His nephew, Mario Franco, is a member of the college's Workforce and Economic Development Department.

In a telephone interview, Mario said he grew closer to his uncle after the younger Carlos died. His uncle was a fan of the Chivas soccer team of Guadalajara, and the two of them bonded over soccer, he said.

"Everything he did was for his daughters," Mario Franco said. "He was very, very loving. He would drive them everywhere."

:smh:

This is crazy, good to know you safe OP.

But my prays goes out to those families and friends of the victims.

Back
Top Bottom