Shooting on Santa Monica College Campus - 6 Dead - Gunman ID'd.

A friend of mine posted this about the AR-15.

"Reports from the field claimed that when a bullet field from the AR-15 struck a man, it inflicted devastating injuries. The causes were apparently twofold. First, the metal jacket of early AR-15 bullets tended to shatter on impact, sending fragmentation slicing through victims. (In the army, this was variously seen as attractive and worrisome. In classified correspondence, some officers were thrilled by the perceived wounding characteristics, which one prominent army doctor described as "explosive effects". Others wondered whether the .223 round might be illegal under international convention.)

Second, the bullets often turned sideways inside a victim, a phenomenon known as yaw. In one respect, the effects of yaw somewhat resembled what could be seen on the surface of a lake when a speedboat turned sharply. In this case, the energy delivery manifested itself as a shock wave within a human body, which could create a stretching or rupturing injury to tissue not directly in a bullet's path. By turning, the bullet also crushed and cut more tissue as it passed through a victim, creating a larger wound channel."

:x :x

Gunman identified.

fc492bce54ed4f13340f6a7067001635.jpg

Kind of shook about going to school and having to hit the library tomorrow |I

You're still taking your final?

You won't be able to go to the library though. They just sent this email out

Dear Campus Community,

I believe “heroism” is the word that will become associated with the events of these past few days:

* Heroism on the part of the officers who neutralized the attacker. These members of the City of Santa Monica Police Department and the Santa Monica College Police Department have practiced together for years to prepare for events such as Friday's.

* Heroism on the part of our staff, faculty, and students in the Campus Library and elsewhere on campus who acted decisively to protect life.

* Heroism on the part of our students to protect and comfort each other and provide support.

* Heroism on the part of our faculty in the hours on Friday and this weekend to accommodate students' end-of-semester needs.

* Heroism on the part of all of us during these same hours to arrange for the pick-up of belongings, to answer phone inquiries, to counsel those in need, and to take the actions needed to start our work again tomorrow.

This Monday, at 7 am, the main campus reopens. All buildings and services will be available except for the Library.

There will be additional security personnel on site tomorrow and Tuesday. We are again grateful to the City of Santa Monica Police Department for this assistance.

Many members of our campus community have suggested a vigil as an important next step, and are coordinating this event to take place tomorrow night (Monday night) at 6 pm in front of the Campus Library. All are welcome. Thank you for this helpful action.

We work every day to help students overcome obstacles and to achieve their career and transfer goals. This Tuesday at 6 pm we celebrate the achievements of many of our students as they graduate. We look forward to this wonderful ceremony and time of family pride. We hope you can join us if you have not already made plans to do so.

Thank you again for your patience, your resilience, and your strength.

I was suppose to turn in my final paper that day.

Professor still hasn't responded to my emails so I'm not sure what she wants us to do .. Tuesday's the last day of the semester also.

Last edited:
Sounds like a session of roaming the streets in Grand Theft Auto..

The guys statement in the articles is eerie as ****, said he was standing in front of the college like a gun model, and was just targeting random people, one at a time.

Not to take away from the loss of life but, in 98-00 there was a race war going on in Santa Monica/SMC area that took the lives of a lot of people but they never reported it. Santa Monica latin gangs and the graveyards were feuding and killed people based on race. If you were Mexican and were wearing red, you were a target.

SMC has a storied past of great education but let's be real, most people go there to be seen and it's not as safe a campus as they lead to believe. There's no check points, no security walking around. Maybe it's changed from when I went there in 98-00 but it's much like USC. The schools are in the middle of multiple hoods.

Man the story up there about the guy that passed away truly hurts me; RIP

Immigrate from Mexico for a better family life and probably to escape the drug-related violence and poverty. End up being victims to senseless violence here. Ironic and awful at the same time :smh:

Back
Top Bottom