Shooting sleeves for Basketball. Function or Style?

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

no performance value whatsoever.

product only sees interest from posers who want to imitate nba players.

EXAMPLE: 

during the whole tights fiasco in the nba people were constantly posting and asking about whether or not tights help with on court performance. posers who didnt want to seem like posers posted and raved about the performance benefits.

however currently tights are not worn in the nba.

and by no coincidence there hasnt been a post about tights in 2 years.

Yeah whatever there is alot stuff athletes wear that has no performance value at all it just makes the athlete feel better like

Football players wearing elbow wristbands,one hanging towel, forearm sleeves,visors, kickers wearing gloves.

Basketball players wearing black socks and one wristband. Wearing padded Pro Combat Gear

Baseball players wearing those cloth necklaces around their neck and those dirty @#$ batting helmets

Hockey players.....I dont care what Hockey players wear

Also tights arent for posers. The whole purpose of tights is to help you get warmer quicker. Runners and Football players wear them too.

I mainly use it for my left arm... Maybe its just me but it helps me perform better when using my left arm..

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Didn't AI start using one way back when because he had some tendon/lig issues in his elbow area?

THIS

Fact: AI was the first one EVER to wear them joints if i remember correctly because he had some sort of injury in his shooting arm.

EXAMPLE: 

during the whole tights fiasco in the nba people were constantly posting and asking about whether or not tights help with on court performance. posers who didnt want to seem like posers posted and raved about the performance benefits.

^This. Well actually I'm sure sleeves of that nature can't hurt....but I would guess 98% of ppl that wear them on all levels do it for style. It's a copy-cat world and in the NBA we see it constantly. Everybody got tatted up years ago. Then everybody went with the baller bands. Then everybody went with the headbands. Then everybody went with the leg tights. Now everybody's doin the arm sleeves. It ain't a surprise.

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Didn't AI start using one way back when because he had some tendon/lig issues in his elbow area?

THIS

Fact: AI was the first one EVER to wear them joints if i remember correctly because he had some sort of injury in his shooting arm.
Iverson has/had bursitis in the elbow of his shooting arm the sleeve helps keep the swelling down.

i cant stand it when dudes wear this at a pick up game and they suck
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

kobe, melo function
dwight howard style
imo

--I dont understand how Melo's would be function when he wears it on his left arm and he's right handed.
--Yeah I can see how D12 would wear it for style.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

EXAMPLE: 

Yeah whatever there is alot stuff athletes wear that has no performance value at all it just makes the athlete feel better like

Football players wearing elbow wristbands,one hanging towel, forearm sleeves,visors, kickers wearing gloves.

Basketball players wearing black socks and one wristband. Wearing padded Pro Combat Gear

I'm not a football expert but I thought those towels were to dry off their hand to make it easier to catch the ball?
As for basketball, the pro combat gear actually helps since it it has a cushion by the tailbone and thighs.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten charlie horse from being kneed in the thigh and if wore the pro combat compression shorts, it would have prevented it.

The cushion by the tailbone should help for those falls, although rare, there is still a possibility. 

As for wrist bands, I am not when the last time I saw a player wipe their sweat with a wrist band but I think (along with the sleeves) it is a mental thing.

Like Ray Allen, for some reason he got some real confidence last year after wearing them and started making more shots than usual.

EXAMPLE: 

Baseball players wearing those cloth necklaces around their neck and those dirty @#$ batting helmets

Hockey players.....I dont care what Hockey players wear

Also tights arent for posers. The whole purpose of tights is to help you get warmer quicker. Runners and Football players wear them too.

Clutchshooter wrote:

EXAMPLE: 

rather than wear a "shooter sleeve" I'll just wear long sleeve UA or ProCombat gear... it doesn't have any "performance benefits" other than not having to clean my entire arm with antiseptic because for some reason people think it's normal to have 3 inch long fingernail tips
laugh.gif

No one on this board, much less in the NBA suffers from an injury that could see benefits from the shooter sleeve. No one except AI.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

I bring mine with me when I go to 24 Hour. It gets some stares at first, then I start getting wet.
You get wet after people stare at you? Hmmmm
sick.gif

I wore my shooting sleeve for about 2 months........ Did it to look cool.... but after awhile I realized I looked like a fool.

it's not gonna help you become better at shooting but it does keep your arm warm and feeling loose. i think it helps on days you lift before you play a game

shooting sleeves prevent swelling, but dose not improve performance.

I use calf sleeves because it prevents me from cramping during games. I have also read that compression garments help in recovery.

EXAMPLE: 

Wait... black socks
You gonna wear socks either way so why would color matter
laugh.gif

And how do the padded gear not serve a purpose.

They sure serve a purpose but is that why 99% of peeps buy them of course not.

Apart from AI who had an injury that required a sleeve and originaly had some sort of support around his elbow not padding like todays, players wear them to either not get scratched or to keep muscles warm.

As far as tights they got banned by tha league and really I dont see why, players who wore them did so and saw benefits probably after advice from trainers or other players people still wear one leg one arm completely covered when hurt just not both.

Its life though look at trends that have come n gone recently
Cornrows
Crazy amounts of tats
Multiple sweatbands
Shin sleeves

People copy others and it becomes a trend untill the next thing comes along thas life.

Peace
Scottie

Back
Top Bottom