Should African Americans start their own "4th of July" ?

Yeaaaaa, totally dictating Lol. Hey fellas I support the idea but just think there’s bigger fish to fry. But I guess every bit/step counts.

You're literally one of the last people on NT that should be telling black folks what to and what not to worry about.

You've been belittling the black plight for years on here man. As a minority, you think you might understand but you really don't, as seen by your continual dismissal of issues brought forth by the black community on NT.

Just like we wouldn't tell the Filipinos how to feel about certain issues within their community, I think you should practice the same restraint.

Go work on your vert or something.

Also it wasn’t just white men who were involved in slave trade. Just saying.

ppl always say this but is it really true?

white people began their intrusion into africa by quite literally killing and snatching ppl up

its not until the tribes already at war with each other decided to trade their pows for weapons to fight their "perceived" enemies

but its all under the same threat from when they first arrived

so basically i dont see any "black" participation in the slave trade as being willful, cooperative, or mutually beneficial in the context of "involvement"

ppl always say this but is it really true?

white people began their intrusion into africa by quite literally killing and snatching ppl up

its not until the tribes already at war with each other decided to trade their pows for weapons to fight their "perceived" enemies

but its all under the same threat from when they first arrived

so basically i dont see any "black" participation in the slave trade as being willful, cooperative, or mutually beneficial in the context of "involvement"
With all this information online I can see why you think this way. You brought up tribes so I’ll ask you this. When a tribe defeats another tribe, the winning tribe’s leader has to decided what to do with the opposition they just defeated/conquered. Most of the time the losers are either killed or enslaved so they do work or whatever is beneficial to the winning tribe. Now, if a black tribe leader decides to sell those people to another tribe, is he not involved in some type of slavery? If I take it even further to say, when the white men came to Africa, those tribe leaders saw an opportunity to sell the conquered to the whites in exchange of whatever they felt benefited them. Are you saying that the tribe leaders were justified in selling their own people (Africans) because they needed a way to fight the whites, so they traded their people for weapons? There’s too much info out there, that at times I ask which one is true cause I can argue for both sides from the research I’ve done so far. I’m just trying to find truth with all the lies we’re fed so I’m open for discussion.

You're literally one of the last people on NT that should be telling black folks what to and what not to worry about.

You've been belittling the black plight for years on here man. As a minority, you think you might understand but you really don't, as seen by your continual dismissal of issues brought forth by the black community on NT.

Just like we wouldn't tell the Filipinos how to feel about certain issues within their community, I think you should practice the same restraint.

Go work on your vert or something.

I see what you did there :lol:

Anyways I’m not trying to tell anyone how to feel/think let alone what to do, rather I’m answering the topic with my opinion. I think there are other issues to focus on versus a holiday, although I see the importance of having that recogniton. You’re more than welcome to think and feel differently, it’s a free country after all :wink:

hand2handking hand2handking
<Agape <Agape
Both of your answers have elements of truth; however, they gloss over certain points that are needed to understand how the slavery was understood in Africa and in the New World.
- Slavery was practiced in Africa, but people from opposing tribes were not seen as resources to be sold and traded the way they were in the New World; African kings and chiefs didn't start going to war for the explicit purpose of capturing and selling slaves until after they were enticed by European powers to do so. Furthermore, some of those leaders who wanted to stop trading slaves were captured by their business "partners" and put in bondage.
- Slavery in African societies was typically not a hereditary status like in the new world.
- Most importantly, African countries along the western coast of the continent have apologized for their role in the trade, and some of them offer African Americans with slave ancestry the right to return. The people of those regions are taught this episode of their societies and they have been preserving the auction locations, holding cells, and shipping ports from where African captives left.

As of today, the US government has never apologized for slavery, and many individuals and institutions involved in that episode of human history have been trying to distance themselves from their past. In this country, we still get to hear about the "willing African immigrant from the 18th century and the benevolent slave master" on mainstream media and in some K-12 history books.

So it is a bit disingenuous to bring up the whole "Africans did it too." They did it, and they own it. When is America going to own its past?

Lol this is not your country bruh. You aren’t even afforded the rights that they’re celebrating.

Bruh, I know for damn sure my mom, grandma and great grandma ain't go through what they went through for me NOT to rep this country.

There is work to be done, but my family just built a bit different then yours.

We not cut from that roll over/ give up life.

I'm afforded more rights then they were and we need to make sure our kids can say the same.

giphy-13.gif

Are you saying that the tribe leaders were justified in selling their own people (Africans) because they needed a way to fight the whites, so they traded their people for weapons? There’s too much info out there, that at times I ask which one is true cause I can argue for both sides from the research I’ve done so far. I’m just trying to find truth with all the lies we’re fed so I’m open for discussion.

They weren't selling their "own people" tho. They were selling prisoners of war.

"Your" people are the ones that put everyone in sub-saharan Africa in one box. We look different, speak different languages and have different customs...so no, they weren't selling their own people.

And you didnt even properly comprehend what hand2handking hand2handking was saying with "perceived enemies." He wasn't talking about trading for guns with white folks to fight white folks.

Bruh, I know for damn sure my mom, grandma and great grandma ain't go through what they went through for me NOT to rep this country.

There is work to be done, but my family just built a bit different then yours.

We not cut from that roll over/ give up life.

I'm afforded more rights then they were and we need to make sure our kids can say the same.

giphy-13.gif
This post.

@Meth on some player hater’s ball **** in bae’s thread.

Scumbag koopin’ it during the women’s tourneys.

4AB35C40-CDDC-4089-B1CA-87BB6CF9DBD1.png
What kind of radiation they leaking in that Ohio water?

Then why not leave? If America sucks that bad for you.....
The question isn’t about slavery, it is about the racism that was created in order to justify the actions of the people who’ve deemed themselves white. Speaking of simply leaving, there hasn’t been a place on this planet where white people have encountered, where they have left the indigenous people of that land in a better place. Not one. You claim liberty, but use oppression and murder to further the cause. The planet would be better off without such influence.

some of y'all need to trade and renounce your citizenship to illegal migrants who are risking life and limb to be part of this country.

This is America, you can celebrate however you want. Not sure why yall gotta call somebody a **** or uncle Tom because they wanna celebrate independence in their preferred way. That's just being needlessly divisive.

When white supremacy dies, and it will, there most definitely will be casualties on that side who are not only white in skin, but white in intellect, awareness, and pursuits as well. They will be black in skin, of asian descent as well. This should be encouraged. Do not try and convince these white supremacist sympathizers to be anything but what they are. Let that enemy continue to reveal himself.

*** backwards to not celebrate our country.

This is just as much my country as it is these white folk.

Why would you want to give them that?
they're treating you like its just as much your country as there's?
hows it feel walking into a store? they're not following you?
you feel good when a cop rolls up on you?
you getting the same looks as they are when you try to move up in corporate America?
your fam has a history of home ownership that dates back to when they first got here?
your fam aren't ados?

just curious.

I sense a bit of hyperbole but I agree.

But there has gotta be a better way then boycotting our countries freedom though.

I'm American.
what freedom? being allowed to be as free as they say we can be?

they're treating you like its just as much your country as there's?
hows it feel walking into a store? they're not following you?
you feel good when a cop rolls up on you?
you getting the same looks as they are when you try to move up in corporate America?
your fam has a history of home ownership that dates back to when they first got here?
your fam aren't ados?

just curious.

what freedom? being allowed to be as free as they say we can be?

Man, I'm not disagreeing with those statements.

Can’t just give up something your ancestors built with their blood, sweat, tears and lives. This country belongs to everyone. Lots of people helped and died making this place what it is today, can’t just hand it over to these angry racist folk. They’re mad? Get them angrier by making progress in your lives while standing firm in the soil they claim is theirs.
they were forced to do that. they didn't do that because they wanted to.
its not giving anything up. you can't give up what you never had. what little they did had was taken from them more times than not post slavery.

this country does NOT and never has belonged to everyone. this country was stolen from ppl that were already here, an illegitimate govt was set up, ppl were enslaved, the govt so called granted freedom, ppl still weren't free, the govt went back and granted it again, throw jim crow in there, yadda yadda and here we are.

Then why not leave? If America sucks that bad for you.....
legitimate question but the way this question is normally asked and the timing of when its asked is trash.

i'll bite though; we should all communicate, pool our money together and leave. with a plan first. with several plans.
I don't know how this would happen because I feel like the entire diaspora should be like minded and move in unison.

one thing I will say is that we shouldn't discuss it with anyone that isn't a part of the diaspora and also everyone that is a part of the diaspora isn't for us. white supremacy has tentacles that reach every continent.
I don't have all of the answers and am still on a journey myself but I feel like we need to be in Africa overall.
i'm saving money now. at the very least we need options.
we deserve peace of mind and happiness. we should not have to die to be free.

we'd have to be prepared for the response from leaving because there would be one.
the way sanctions and all that work...to suppress ppl and economies...among other things would need to be talked about and a plan would need to be formed.

i'm for nation building and all that. again I don't have all of the answers but yeah...something like that..

nation building can include investing in a nation that already exists...just not here IMO.

some of y'all need to trade and renounce your citizenship to illegal migrants who are risking life and limb to be part of this country.
there was no need to come in this thread and be condescending given the fact that you don't indentify with your race and you don't have a heart for anyone giving up everything they know and risking life and limb for what they perceive as a better life in a country that has and will **** on them. despite your fam immigrating.

Back
Top Bottom