Should Justin Combs (Puffy's son) give up his scholarship?

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

Originally Posted by blakep267

Originally Posted by Spiceman80

I don't understand how him receiving a football scholarship based on his athletic ability has anything to do with his pops. It's not like he got b/c his dad is P Diddy. The kid can ball point blank. What is this talk of giving to someone more needy? If someone else has the talent worthy of $54,000 scholarship then that person would have it, if not at UCLA then somewhere else. This isn't a charity or something, makes no sense.

its just that at this point in time in our country, nobody really wants to hear about the rich getting even more handouts, especially a black guy. That probably eats people up
color has nothing to do with it. if he earned it on his own, then yes he deserves it. if he got it simply because his daddy is p.diddy, then no..same reason why michael jordan's kids were signed, even though they are not that great.. all the benefits that his father adds to the program
Michael's oldest walked on at Illinois (initially) He had offers from mid major schools which was about what his level was.
His youngest was a 3 star recruit and is a standout at UCF. 

What are you talking about?

Anyway...I'm not going to pull the race card just yet but there's a reason it's rubbing people the wrong way and it just about Diddy's money. There are a slew of actual 4/5 star recruits in many sports who come from Upper Class backgrounds and never ONCE have I seen any stories about people asking them to give their scholarships up.

Reading some of the comments in here REEKS of bitterness.

All of the "he isn't even that good" comments are ridiculous when you consider he's a 2 star recruit and D-1 squads round up their recruiting classes with 2-3 star recruits EVERY year.

You can go on Rivals and find PLENTY of 2 star recruits headed to big schools. 

Millions of wealthy kids attend college for free each year on merit based schollys.

Let a black kid from the same economic background reap those same rewards and people want to make a fuss about it.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

chicks are gonna be THROWIN themselves at him, gotdamn, pops is already DIDDY, an you play football at UCLA

back on topic
true but you would be surpirsed how much this doesnt happen. I remember watching a sweet 16 with one of Diddy's sons and i swear it looked like he had no friends. Kids from well of families or children from celebrities tend to not really be popular.

Think about it for a second. It would make sense that richer kids would have an easier path to earn a scholarship. They have the means to access the best types of help them along academically. They could afford the best tutors in academics and sports, access to better facilities etc. As opposed to someone who doesn't have the money where the resources aren't as plentiful. I think this was sorely overlooked.

I don't think the outrage is due to his race because no one was saying anything about Marcus Jordan getting an athletic scholarship to UCF and we all know who his father is. This has more to do with the current disastrous state of the UC system coupled with the notoriety of the athlete's father. With all that said, the uproar over this is ridiculous. He earned that scholarship.
Originally Posted by az5950

I dont even know why this was bought up, like Diddy's son is the first student athlete whose family have some sort of "wealth" other include:
Austin Rivers...son of Celtics Head Coach

Trey Griffey....Ken Griffey Jr's son, going to Arizona on a football scholarship

Kelvin Taylor - Fred Taylor's son

The Manning's

The Clausen's 

Michael Jordan's son

Andrew Luck - father is NFL Exec

Joakim Noah - Father was prof Tennis player

John Elways son - Backup QB @ ASU

Jerry Rice's Son - WR @ UCLA

Jeff Blake's Son - WR @ Auburn

Howie Long's Sons - one plays @ Oregon, the other is Kyle Long that played @ UVA currently with Rams

Barry Sanders' Son

Nick O'leary - TE @ FSU  - Grandfather is Jack Nicholaus

Tre Mason - RB @ Auburn - Father is Vincent Mason from De La Soul

Like I could really go on all day, and that's not even half of them...plenty more

A lot of the families on here are black. I guarantee that if the UC system wasn't raising tuition at a breakneck pace, this would not be a story. 

Originally Posted by beh235

Think about it for a second. It would make sense that richer kids would have an easier path to earn a scholarship. They have the means to access the best types of help them along academically. They could afford the best tutors in academics and sports, access to better facilities etc. As opposed to someone who doesn't have the money where the resources aren't as plentiful. I think this was sorely overlooked.

That's true but .... either way it takes hard work to get good ...

You can hire the best trainers but if you don't work hard you won't become good ....He worked hard to become good and he deserves the scholarship period

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

He earned it. Not the first rich kid to receive a scholarship. I still dont see why this is a big deal.
truth, Diddy pays taxes so he probably paid for other peoples education so i dont see why he or his kid should be excluded from receiving a merit-based scholarship, which was apparently earned, thats like me paying for car insurance and when i get into an accident people argue the insurance company shouldnt do anything because i was able to afford the insurance on a premium model 

I don't think the outrage is due to his race because no one was saying anything about Marcus Jordan getting an athletic scholarship to UCF and we all know who his father is

True, but a black rapper with money who has a son with an athletic scholarship is harder for people to accept than Michael Jordan's son receiving a scholly.

I am a D-1 athlete on full scholarship to play football.  I agree that if he has earned the scholarship he does deserve it.  On the other side, if my

dad had half a billion dollars and the college offered me a scholarship, I would ask them if they think it is a good idea to give back the

scholarship because of how financially set I am.  I look at it as being a team player.  I play division 1-AA so the scholarships are not the same

amount as D1-A.  Regardless, wouldn't you want your team to have another full scholarship player on the squad?

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

Originally Posted by SupremeApe

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

If he EARNED it then no. 

that's key, and for some reason i doubt he did.

Think about it, if you are a US college where profit is everything, having Puffy's son will bring in a good amount of revenue.
couldnt be more right!!! sounds like another romeo miller USC signing..
USC was forced to sign Romeo because him and Demar Derozan where best friends. 

If he doesn't accept it then he'll hear "he's going to school on his daddy's dollar, and at eighteen he should want to start earning things on his own" blah blah blah. People just want to hate.

Diddy ain't just a famous black man. He's a famous black rapper. Media is attacking, because that's what they do. Any way to taint your name, not that his is clean anyway. This dude is looked up to by their kids while portraying a image they don't like. They throwing dirt, it's that simple. To dudes saying it ain't a race thing, you lying. 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I don't think the outrage is due to his race because no one was saying anything about Marcus Jordan getting an athletic scholarship to UCF and we all know who his father is. This has more to do with the current disastrous state of the UC system coupled with the notoriety of the athlete's father. With all that said, the uproar over this is ridiculous. He earned that scholarship.
Originally Posted by az5950

I dont even know why this was bought up, like Diddy's son is the first student athlete whose family have some sort of "wealth" other include:
Austin Rivers...son of Celtics Head Coach

Trey Griffey....Ken Griffey Jr's son, going to Arizona on a football scholarship

Kelvin Taylor - Fred Taylor's son

The Manning's

The Clausen's 

Michael Jordan's son

Andrew Luck - father is NFL Exec

Joakim Noah - Father was prof Tennis player

John Elways son - Backup QB @ ASU

Jerry Rice's Son - WR @ UCLA

Jeff Blake's Son - WR @ Auburn

Howie Long's Sons - one plays @ Oregon, the other is Kyle Long that played @ UVA currently with Rams

Barry Sanders' Son

Nick O'leary - TE @ FSU  - Grandfather is Jack Nicholaus

Tre Mason - RB @ Auburn - Father is Vincent Mason from De La Soul

Like I could really go on all day, and that's not even half of them...plenty more

A lot of the families on here are black. I guarantee that if the UC system wasn't raising tuition at a breakneck pace, this would not be a story. 
Many taxpayers here are already displaying witch hunt behavior against college students, while we (students) are seeing our tuition go through the roof. As if we don't have a right to complain. Now of course taxpayers will be up in arms against footing the bill for a music mogul son's college education. Side note: I believe UCLA is just whoring itself out for the publicity. I digress. Anyway, things are so bad here that there was very recently a legit proposal to completely privatize UCLA's Anderson School of Management. I can see Cal's Haas School of Business and Boalt School of Law go down the same route. 

Originally Posted by AG 47

Only reason this is a story is because Puffy is a rich, black rapper.
this...
I don't recall anyone telling Kevin Love to give up his damn scholarship.

It is an athletic scholarship.

1. They are offered by the school, not the state.
2. Academic Scholarships are entirely separate from Athletic Scholarships
3. He is taking a scholarship from someone else, in the sense that he was better than another candidate for Football.

Let him have it..

Back
Top Bottom