Should shooters be able to shotfake and lean into fouls?

This annoys me more than anything else in NBA basketball. Offensive player will fake a jumpshot, then when the defender has committed the block attempt, heleans forward into the body of the defender and gets two free throws or better yet +1. There is no real attempt at a shot most of time, purely an attempt todraw a foul. They should eliminate this rule, so that you can't purposely draw a foul.

You can't purposely draw a foul in any other sport, so why in baskebtall? What fan wants to see fouls and free throws? If in soccer you're suspected oftrying to draw a foul, you're called a diver and are warned by the referee. In baseball you can't purposely lean into a pitch or throw to get anadvantage. In football you can only do it with a snap count, but that's so much more subtle and has much less effect on a game.

The point of the game should be to score every time you have the ball. If you're pursuing this goal and are too fast or strong or smart for the opposingplayer, they will have to foul you. But "drawing" the foul has no place in the game.
pimp.gif

if the shooter jumps forward or to the side to initiate contact with the defender... then no it should be a foul at all... it actually sould be an offensivefoul just like how they do with charges/blockin fouls.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

This annoys me more than anything else in NBA basketball. Offensive player will fake a jumpshot, then when the defender has committed the block attempt, he leans forward into the body of the defender and gets two free throws or better yet +1. There is no real attempt at a shot most of time, purely an attempt to draw a foul. They should eliminate this rule, so that you can't purposely draw a foul. You can't purposely draw a foul in any other sport, so why in baskebtall? What fan wants to see fouls and free throws. If in soccer you're suspected of trying to draw a foul, you're called a diver and are warned by the referee. In football you can't really draw a foul, and in baseball you can't purposely lean into a pitch. The point of the game should be to score every time you have the ball. If you're pursuing this goal and are too fast or strong or smart for the opposing player, they will have to foul you. But "drawing" the foul has no place in the game.
pimp.gif
I'm with you on this...jumping into the defender should be more of an offensive foul than anything....

yes, they just need to officiate it better.

the pumpfake is one of the savvy moves of the game.. if an offensive player can execute a pumpfake well enough to get a defender off his feet, that defendershould in turn be at the mercy of the offensive player.

what i don't like is when an offensive player blatantly leaps into the defender and gets a call. they should only call it when the defender crosses intothe shooter's "airspace."

Offensive player creating contact = No call or offensive foul...

I hate the pump fake, jump into defender more than anything...

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

the pumpfake is one of the savvy moves of the game.. if an offensive player can execute a pumpfake well enough to get a defender off his feet, that defender should in turn be at the mercy of the offensive player.

what i don't like is when an offensive player blatantly leaps into the defender and gets a call. they should only call it when the defender crosses into the shooter's "airspace."

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

the pumpfake is one of the savvy moves of the game.. if an offensive player can execute a pumpfake well enough to get a defender off his feet, that defender should in turn be at the mercy of the offensive player.

The perfect execution of a pumpfake is no different than a great crossover, in that the benefit is leaving the defender behind. What if everytime DRose crossedsomebody up he purposely rammed into the defender and got two free throws?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

This annoys me more than anything else in NBA basketball. Offensive player will fake a jumpshot, then when the defender has committed the block attempt, he leans forward into the body of the defender and gets two free throws or better yet +1. There is no real attempt at a shot most of time, purely an attempt to draw a foul. They should eliminate this rule, so that you can't purposely draw a foul.

You can't purposely draw a foul in any other sport, so why in baskebtall? What fan wants to see fouls and free throws? If in soccer you're suspected of trying to draw a foul, you're called a diver and are warned by the referee. In baseball you can't purposely lean into a pitch or throw to get an advantage. In football you can only do it with a snap count, but that's so much more subtle and has much less effect on a game.

The point of the game should be to score every time you have the ball. If you're pursuing this goal and are too fast or strong or smart for the opposing player, they will have to foul you. But "drawing" the foul has no place in the game.
pimp.gif

I guess your not a paul pierce or d wade fan!

Def one of the most annoying things in the nba, I agree it just needs to be officiated better

The rule is written correctly, just improperly enforced. When Wade and Pierce pumpfake then jump forwards, backwards, to the side or whatever to initiatecontact with a defender, particularly one who is jumping and landing in the same spot, it's actually an offensive foul or no call at best. It's just amatter of the refs almost always side with the offense in the NBA, whereas the opposite is true in college and you see guys draw charges where they slideunderneath all late, way under the basket, etc. The NBA has made it a "point of emphasis" to get this right but rarely do.

I jizz my pants everytime somebody tries it and doesn't get the call now.

BTW the rule is called verticality. You are entitled to your airspace from where you stand up to the ceiling in a straight line. It's not true, despitemany beliefs to the contrary, that if you jump on defense you automatically commit a foul if there's contact.

Paul Pierce just got verticality'd

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

Didn't MJ perfect this as well?
His defenders initiated it though .

Like Scalabrine just did ... he damn near waited on dude to jump & bumped into him .

That should be illegal .

IMO if the offensive player blatantly jumps into the defensive player (if he jumps straight up) it should be an offensive foul.

On the other hand, if the defensive player bites on the fake and leans in to the shooter, then it should be a foul.

If they started to call it this way, it would discourage players from doing this.

wade is the worst.....his is so obvious.....pierce naturally leans forward with most of his shots anyway so i'll give him a pass

Bookmark* i'll read everything when the game's over.
But It is so annoying. It seems like refs get extra pay for blowing their whistle
smh.gif
It seems like ANY type of contact outside of the paint warrans a whistle.

i hate when shooters lean into the foul
smh.gif
even if it's one of my favorite players (ben gordon). a good shooter should be able to fake them and just gostraight up for the shot.

Back
Top Bottom