Sillyputty and NikeAirForce1 Appreciation thread. (thanks, guys)

Originally Posted by back1ntheday

Originally Posted by th0ugh

After seeing these two (mainly sillyputty) own every god believer on NT, i am 100% convinced that god doesn't exist. Sillyputty makes too much sense. Very educated fellow who knows how to debate. Bravo, man. Bravo. That God thread is the best religious debate thread ever on NT.

how can you be 100% convinced of something that hasnt/cant be proven?

this is one of those topics that you have to do the knowledge for yourself. i find it hard to believe the tipping point for you is based on one thread on niketalk.

no hate...just a bit confusing
Sometimes thats all it takes... 
(Btw I don't think he should say hes 100% sure, but I think hes saying that based on the evidence that says a god exists, it falls short and thus he doesn't think a god exists)

like we all know that dude who won't leave that girl or vice versa and one day they just see something that pushes them over the proverbial edge and they jump ship. 

It takes a lot to convince ourselves otherwise of things we really want to be true... its about being honest and humble enough to stand beside yourself and really try to see things for what they are...hubris and narcissism prevents us from doing this. 

Religion fosters this sense of rampant narcissism that is all too well coupled with being an American in general. Its always about ME, MYSELF, and I.

Look at our patriotism. America is number one! (when we're really not any more in many areas) or God bless america! or only being able to see ourselves as doing everything. 

Reports say Americans on average have the highest levels of self esteem. 

Couple that to a religion that says "god favors you" and god has a plan for YOU and god makes good things happen only to YOU and god cares that YOU found your parking spot and god is with OUR soldiers etc...then it becomes very hard to get people to objectively assess what it is that they're saying.

It then becomes anything that they believe is automatically true without taking the time to confirm it. 

LOL at all these believers getting booty hurt again. You guys are lames give it up youre not changing us. We will not believe in something that we dont know exists. PROOVE to me that there is a god. Give me your best evidence, give me the best proof that you got. I will give you my entire shoe collection, both my cars and every cent that i have in my bank account if you can proove to me that there is a God. That offer stands for the rest of my life.

Originally Posted by back1ntheday

Originally Posted by th0ugh

After seeing these two (mainly sillyputty) own every god believer on NT, i am 100% convinced that god doesn't exist. Sillyputty makes too much sense. Very educated fellow who knows how to debate. Bravo, man. Bravo. That God thread is the best religious debate thread ever on NT.

how can you be 100% convinced of something that hasnt/cant be proven?

this is one of those topics that you have to do the knowledge for yourself. i find it hard to believe the tipping point for you is based on one thread on niketalk.

no hate...just a bit confusing

Did you see the knowledge dropped in that thread though? I read through that whole thread last night (+*+* took me 3+ hours) and actually wanted to find out more. Dude was making too much sense. The yellow part of the last post on page 18 was especially
pimp.gif
sillyputty wrote:

Do you know where I look to for motivation? Myself. I know I'm ultimately responsible for my successes and my failures. I have no one to blame but ME. I make it happen. There are those around me that happen but I've got to put in the groundwork to see it through. It doesn't work for everyone...the reformed %+%$@! thinks she needs some guidance of a single body so she goes to church....the old drug user thinks that believing in someone who never "judges" them makes them feel welcome...the closeted gay man has been told being gay is wrong so he clings to the notion that he can pray the gay away because he wants to be straight SO bad... Its all wishful thinking. True change comes from YOURSELF...not from others and definitely not from some mystical entity. 

Its all in the mind. Look to inspire yourself and you'll see how much more purpose and meaning you can give your life. 

If you define your purpose as the serving of something you just have "faith" in then what else can't you believe in? You're literally subject to be told anything. I know this is the only life I get. You don't think ants or pigs or elephants go to heaven do you? Hitler was a christian...does he go to heaven? Citing that then since this is the ONLY shot i've got, I've got to make it count. I've got to make the most out of it and learn to live my life as best as I can and to make it easier for all of us to make it enjoyable while where on this tiny speck of dust called earth. Knowing that THIS IS IT makes anything you do with life YOUR PURPOSE. Whatever you choose to do is what YOU ARE TO SOCIETY. If you're not happy then move up or down...just know that YOU are in control...not some higher power who swoops in to take credit for YOUR work. 

well yeah im not going to sit here and say i read everything in that thread because i havent. my own thoughts about the subject havent come from the viewpoints of one or two people. that was the whole point i was trying to make. i try and come up with my own assertions based on my own thoughts, what i've read, what i've been told, what schools of thought there are on the subject, etc.
but with that said i guess whats good for me may not be good for you.
smile.gif

You don't believe in god, good for you.

Don't critique those people that do just cause you don't it's a big waste of time for both parties.
People care too much about what others believe, in the end nobody is probably definitely "right" so just go with whatever fits your life best.

I find it ironic that the people who work so hard to "disprove" the existence of a higher being do so often within the limited perspective(s) provided by established organized religion.  Is this done simply for the convenience of fitting your ideological perspective and arguments?  Because you're limiting your potential interpretations or understandings of a higher being to those subscribed by the religious organizations you disdain so much.  Talk about thinking inside the box...

Originally Posted by red mpls

I find it ironic that the people who work so hard to "disprove" the existence of a higher being do so often within the limited perspective(s) provided by established organized religion.  Is this done simply for the convenience of fitting your ideological perspective and arguments?  Because you're limiting your potential interpretations or understandings of a higher being to those subscribed by the religious organizations you disdain so much.  Talk about thinking inside the box...

The claims for the existence of  a god as presented up to this point do not stand on their own.

Thus I don't believe in god(s).

if you say a god exists, lets hear why. 

if your proof/evidence/ancedotes do not stand on their own then no one has any reason to believe you. 

Thats the point. 

if I wanted to confirm my own beliefs then i'd start out saying that I believe women should be naked at all times twerkin' it on this D. But I can't prove such an assertion so I don't propose it at large. 

Notice, i'm not DISPROVING your god. I'm saying that the reasons you say a god exist as stated don't stand on their own. So BASED ON THAT EVIDENCE, your god doesn't exist. 

If you would like to introduce new evidence, then lets hear it. 

It works the same way in court. Present your evidence. Let the people decide. If the people already decide before hearing the evidence or don't weight evidence because they already know what they want to hear then thats dishonest. 

I don't know everything. But if you present a stance and don't support it, then why should myself or anyone else subscribe to it? 

Back
Top Bottom