Simon Sinek Ethers Millennial Parents

What's a millennial?

I'm just the son of third world immigrants who's trying to make $$$, help my family/friends, and enjoy my life.

Same here.
Our mentality was
"if you want it, work hard for it"
And
"Go to school, school will lead you to a better life"

In my short 6 years of experience in corporate America I will say that companies are way behind on employee development and adaption overall. He was dead on in that front, and the companies that survive will be the ones that change with the culture. 

The problem with Millenials is that they have to realize that the older generation still holds all the power so whether or not you like it you gotta play by there rules for now.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this while sipping on my boxed chocolate milk and chicken tendies in my parent's basement.

What's a millennial?

I'm just the son of third world immigrants who's trying to make $$$, help my family/friends, and enjoy my life.
This is it.

Can't relate to a lot of this.

I still tear up thinking about the day I got a 96 on my science test (always my worst subject) and my mom stared at my flatly and said, "Well, what happened to the other four points?" and proceeded to ask me how my friends did and who got the best grades. Hardened me something fierce.

Not that it would've/could've actually happened, but my parents frequently threatened to send me to a boarding school in a third world country if I messed up in school as a kid. Needless to say I was an extremely good student in my childhood :lol: I hated it with a passion back then, but I'm definitely thankful for it now.

Last edited:
Not that it would've/could've actually happened, but my parents frequently threatened to deport me to a boarding school in third world country if I messed up in school as a kid. Needless to say I was an extremely good student in my childhood
laugh.gif
Probably could've. I knew two dudes who it happened to. One got sent to Haiti for a full year for acting up too much. The other got sent to Nigeria for a year because he was getting bad grades.

Oh yeah, I know it's definitely possible. My parents had one of my relatives send a brochure from overseas when I got suspended from school for a week :lol: I don't remember ever getting into trouble in school after that.

I meant that it couldn't have happened because my parents were putting on a front the whole time and could never let their children go like that. I've been "kicked out of the house" and "permanently disowned" far too many times for those threats to actually mean anything :lol:

Last edited:
I'm lucky, I never got threatened over my grades. I was led instead of pushed since my older brothers both killed it academically in high school and college (well one of them did and got his PhD, the other one clearly took his eyes off the prize since he ended up with an MBA, the dumbest post grad degree on the market :lol: ). My mother liked that I was under implied pressure to measure up in every grade and she could just be a stereotypical, indulgent, white parent.

Millenials have been told what to do for so long that they have no identity or drive of their own. There are too many corporate slaves and not enough entrepreneurs.

What's a millennial?

This is it.

I still tear up thinking about the day I got a 96 on my science test (always my worst subject) and my mom stared at my flatly and said, "Well, what happened to the other four points?" and proceeded to ask me how my friends did and who got the best grades. Hardened me something fierce.
That experience is the other end of the spectrum.

What's a millennial?

This is it.

My parents took another step and beat me if I got anything less than a 100.

He is talking about a very specific subgroup of millennials

He seems to not place the blame on them.

From watching this video, dude seems to be spelling out how parents and society have failed millennials, and the roadblocks they face. He is not ethering the generation.

More generally:

-Everyone should lay off the mellenial shade. Boomers (once again not all) ****** this country and mortgaged the economic well being of future generations, now the pedal this Diet "pick us self up by your bootstraps" shtick, like that absolves them of the damage the did to the country. And generation X, seems all to willing to pile on sometimes.

Brb job wants to hire someone young
Brb you have a degree
Brb they want 10 years of experience even tho your 22
Brb brb

I was born in 85 I seemed to get more of this stuff and the pis poor work ethic out of the ones who are about 18 or 19 now. Id say out the last 100 people who have worked for me at my job that have been under 21 MAYBE 3 have stayed. the rest all call in constantly, wont do anything while they are there and seem so akward and out of place the whole time. Some of the older guys call them snow flakes since there so fragile and everything offends them..just one look in there direction and they fall apart.

**** I'm 25 and have a different work ethic. Used to work at a gym. Had 2 co workers straight up call out at least 4 times a week. Like bro why even ******* work?

And I would always take up extra hours cause that's money. Idk how people don't like working. You getting paid right? Suck it up

Dude offered nothing new or novel in his speech. This tired *** millennial and participation trophy and technology schtick. Yawn

Such a surface level assessment.

I was born in 85 I seemed to get more of this stuff and the pis poor work ethic out of the ones who are about 18 or 19 now. Id say out the last 100 people who have worked for me at my job that have been under 21 MAYBE 3 have stayed. the rest all call in constantly, wont do anything while they are there and seem so akward and out of place the whole time. Some of the older guys call them snow flakes since there so fragile and everything offends them..just one look in there direction and they fall apart.

This. Born in 85 also.

Hired this girl who was 24. She used all her sick days for the year within the first 3 months of having the job. Always calling in for some b.s. excuse. Had to finally let her go about 9 months in. So ridiculous.

This. Born in 85 also.

Hired this girl who was 24. She used all her sick days for the year within the first 3 months of having the job. Always calling in for some b.s. excuse. Had to finally let her go about 9 months in. So ridiculous.

Ever stop to think that she's just a 24 year old terrible worker?

We illuminate this "millineal" culture as if there weren't not **** people born prior to 1990 :lol:

For every person that is using all their sick days (which is mind boggling that we think it's a bad thing to use), there is a overachiever.

I thought my generation would've been the logical ones to break the "every generation after me sucks" rhetoric but I guess not.

No shot at you either, Trelvis. You coo peeps. Just in general

Last edited:
Ever stop to think that she's just a 24 year old terrible worker?

We illuminate this "millineal" culture as if there weren't not **** people born prior to 1990
laugh.gif

For every person that is using all their sick days (which is mind boggling that we think it's a bad thing to use), there is a overachiever.

I thought my generation would've been the logical ones to break the "every generation after me sucks" rhetoric but I guess not.

No shot at you either, Trelvis. You coo peeps. Just in general
Great post. 

I am in born in 84, and have hired a few recently graduated students over the last few years.  And every single one of them have been great, no complaints.  I don't think these pre-conceived notions are fair to the younger people out there.

For the most part I see where Sinek is coming from, but I turned the video off as soon as I heard him tell the alleged millennial population that they were "dealt a bad hand" and it wasn't their fault. Come on, even as adolescence we are very aware of the decisions we make, regardless of what we do or don't have access to.

If you're entitled then it's partly your parents' faults, but you as an individual need to see how YOUR entitlement can be addressed by personal convictions. I don't see how this is done realistically if the entitled individual, or millennial, doesn't understand that they are also to blame.

As with most things when it comes to Western social or psychological research/theories, I doubt there's enough cultural context to determine who are actually millennials as described. Like what population born after '84 exactly has been researched?

Last edited:
What we really need to talk about is how the 40 hour workweek is archaic....and sitting at a desk 8 hours a day is unproductive and leads lowers morale.

We have the capacity and technology to work remotely a few days out the week.

2 days work from home. 3 days in the office. We need to move towards that.

What we really need to talk about is how the 40 hour workweek is archaic....and sitting at a desk 8 hours a day is unproductive and leads lowers morale.

We have the capacity and technology to work remotely a few days out the week.

2 days work from home. 3 days in the office. We need to move towards that.

Not that it would've/could've actually happened, but my parents frequently threatened to deport me to a boarding school in third world country if I messed up in school as a kid. Needless to say I was an extremely good student in my childhood :lol:
Probably could've. I knew two dudes who it happened to. One got sent to Haiti for a full year for acting up too much. The other got sent to Nigeria for a year because he was getting bad grades.

Middle School in the town I grew up in was Grades 6-8. My dad was an Officer in the Philippines army and was real tough on me. Got sent to the Philippines the second half of the sixth grade and got sent to Military School the second half of 8th grade because I was just such a problem child.

I can't say those did much for me in the long run but yeah, I was pretty wild as a child and I think I ended up great :lol:

I don't see how this applies to all millennials. 
It doesn't.

Just the entitled hipster folks who have to post a thoughtful Facebook Post about the current political climate using big words.

Back
Top Bottom