Simon Sinek Ethers Millennial Parents

Middle School in the town I grew up in was Grades 6-8. My dad was an Officer in the Philippines army and was real tough on me. Got sent to the Philippines the second half of the sixth grade and got sent to Military School the second half of 8th grade because I was just such a problem child.

I can't say those did much for me in the long run but yeah, I was pretty wild as a child and I think I ended up great
laugh.gif
Oh, man! Your dad was OG Filipino Dad 
laugh.gif

Not that it would've/could've actually happened, but my parents frequently threatened to send me to a boarding school in a third world country if I messed up in school as a kid. Needless to say I was an extremely good student in my childhood :lol: I hated it with a passion back then, but I'm definitely thankful for it now.
Got sent back to the roots for acting a fool 99-01. **** still 3rd world (tonga). Best experience ever especially Understanding importance of family

I'm lucky, I never got threatened over my grades. I was led instead of pushed since my older brothers both killed it academically in high school and college (well one of them did and got his PhD, the other one clearly took his eyes off the prize since he ended up with an MBA, the dumbest post grad degree on the market
laugh.gif
). My mother liked that I was under implied pressure to measure up in every grade and she could just be a stereotypical, indulgent, white parent.
You think MBAs are worthless?

I believe they are definitely overpriced and if I had to pay for the majority of any post grad degree I wouldn't even apply.

To say an MBA is worthless is dumb.

To say a "non-top 10 MBA is dumb" is also dumb. Not as dumb as saying they're all worthless though. :lol:

MBAs from U-Phoenix is dumb.

For instance, getting an MBA from a school like Vanderbilt is CLUTCH if you want to work in healthcare administration.

Rice is PRIME O&G investment banker territory

UCLA / USC are great for media.

None are top ten but would be regarded as top five in their strengths.

UNC for corporate finance

Duke for Consulting

Last edited:
Middle School in the town I grew up in was Grades 6-8. My dad was an Officer in the Philippines army and was real tough on me. Got sent to the Philippines the second half of the sixth grade and got sent to Military School the second half of 8th grade because I was just such a problem child.

I can't say those did much for me in the long run but yeah, I was pretty wild as a child and I think I ended up great :lol:
Oh, man! Your dad was OG Filipino Dad :lol:  

Dude raised me with the fear of god though. Had I been growing up in today's time with his method, he'd definitely be in jail or something :lol:

OG country parents are definitely on another mentality when it comes to raising their kids and are completely opposite of the ones Simon gives examples of in his video. This video would NEVER fly in the Philippines.

Last edited:
Dude raised me with the fear of god though. Had I been growing up in today's time with his method, he'd definitely be in jail or something
laugh.gif

OG country parents are definitely on another mentality when it comes to raising their kids and are completely opposite of the ones Simon gives examples of in his video. This video would NEVER fly in the Philippines.
I know you what you're saying man.

My dad was like that up until I graduated HS lol.

My wife's dad was still acting that way when she was in college 
mean.gif
 But he's definitely mellowed out now.

Dude raised me with the fear of god though. Had I been growing up in today's time with his method, he'd definitely be in jail or something :lol:

I know you what you're saying man.

My dad was like that up until I graduated HS lol.

My wife's dad was still acting that way when she was in college :smh:  But he's definitely mellowed out now.

Hell yeah, that seems to be how it works. My pops is the greatest babysitter of all time with my kids now. My boys I grew up with used to be shook as hell to come to the crib but now, he's all buddy buddy with them and they all ask what happened? :rofl:

To say an MBA is worthless is dumb.

To say a "non-top 10 MBA is dumb" is also dumb. Not as dumb as saying they're all worthless though.
laugh.gif

MBAs from U-Phoenix is dumb.

For instance, getting an MBA from a school like Vanderbilt is CLUTCH if you want to work in healthcare administration.

Rice is PRIME O&G investment banker territory

UCLA / USC are great for media.

None are top ten but would be regarded as top five in their strengths.

UNC for corporate finance

Duke for Consulting
I asked a question lol . He didn't say they are worthless.

What we really need to talk about is how the 40 hour workweek is archaic....and sitting at a desk 8 hours a day is unproductive and leads lowers morale.

We have the capacity and technology to work remotely a few days out the week.

2 days work from home. 3 days in the office. We need to move towards that.

I agree with this, but I would be happy with 4 x 10 hour work days with a 3 day weekend than this 8 x 5 nonsense.

Luckily I can work from home 2 days a week in my current job,.

I asked a question lol . He didn't say they are worthless.

I think we're on the same side of the argument.

You and I both feel that they have value. He said it was the dumbest post grad degree, essentially saying that it's worthless.

The thing about none top 10 was directed at the following post.

I don't think MBA's a worthless, since you probably get a return on investment (especially if your company is paying for it), but they do seem kinda dumb to me.

When I said dumb I meant not as scholarly as getting a PhD. I do not want to dissuade anyone from getting an MBA though. It does get a return on investment and you can get your employer to help pay for it.

MBAs are dumb if you don't go to a top 10 program.
Agree to disagree. 

MBA's are a barrier to entry for a lot of positions. When you see MBA preferred you not getting the job is someone with an MBA applies.

I will say that it is not worth it unless subsidized by your employer.

Last edited:

Agree to disagree. 

MBA's are a barrier to entry for a lot of positions. When you see MBA preferred you not getting the job is someone with an MBA applies.

This is what I am trying to figure out. Max I would want to pay out of pocket is 20K for my MBA.

Dude made some good points but I'm tired of these people who think theyre all righteous because they dont use their phones as much as other people do. Like good for you if you and your friends dont bring your phones with you when you go out to dinner. Want a reward bro? :lol:

i been sayin the youth lacks grit/heart for years now.

in a nutshell thats pretty much all he's sayin...
Guess what? Every generation has made that same absurd claim since we started keeping track of generations. Not only is it idiotic to generalize an entire part of the population, it's extremely counterproductive.

Agree to disagree. 

This is what I am trying to figure out. Max I would want to pay out of pocket is 20K for my MBA.

That's what's I'm doing. My company helped pay for my bachelor's and I finished last Dec. with ZERO debt.

My MBA will be just under $30k after getting about 6 classes waived and with my company reimbursing $10k a year, I've decided to just slowly chip away at it. Why not?

Not going to a Top 10 school either so it is what it is :lol:

I agree to a certain extent about what was said however some NT'ers made a valid point on the past generations methods of upbringing the child. I believe multiple factors play in this. I completely agree that social media/internet has some negative affect on people. I don't think it applies necessarily to one generation though.

That's what's I'm doing. My company helped pay for my bachelor's and I finished last Dec. with ZERO debt.

My MBA will be just under $30k after getting about 6 classes waived and with my company reimbursing $10k a year, I've decided to just slowly chip away at it. Why not?

Not going to a Top 10 school either so it is what it is
laugh.gif
How did you get classes waived? Majority of the programs in the DMV avg between 65K-110K for MBA
sick.gif

My company does 10K/yr as well ,but will give more if they feel you are valuable enough to the company.

Dude made some good points but I'm tired of these people who think theyre all righteous because they dont use their phones as much as other people do. Like good for you if you and your friends dont bring your phones with you when you go out to dinner. Want a reward bro? :lol:

Same as the righteous people who take pictures of everything, bump into people while staring in their phones or causing fenderbenders and accidents..?:rolleyes

Not going to a Top 10 school either so it is what it is :lol:

How did you get classes waived? Majority of the programs in the DMV avg between 65K-110K for MBA :x .
My company does 10K/yr as well ,but will give more if they feel you are valuable enough to the company.

The college I got my BS in has an MBA program and I just met up with the Director one day to see what it was about. And after a few emails with Grad Admisssions, they said they could waive 6 classes that I already took during my undergrad. I believe the pre-reqs of eligible classes were that I took them within 6 years and got a B or higher.

After all that, it just made sense for me to proceed with it. My BS was in Management and MBA will be in Entrepeneuership, if that matters.

Last edited:

What's a millennial?

I'm just the son of third world immigrants who's trying to make $$$, help my family/friends, and enjoy my life.
This is it.

Can't relate to a lot of this.

I still tear up thinking about the day I got a 96 on my science test (always my worst subject) and my mom stared at my flatly and said, "Well, what happened to the other four points?" and proceeded to ask me how my friends did and who got the best grades. Hardened me something fierce.

My parents took another step and beat me if I got anything less than a 100.

Reminds me of some of my Asian friends back in HS. :lol:

^ Considering the caliber of high school you went to, that's even more upsetting.

My parents were happy I even survived/graduated from my high school. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom