Single Women Outpacing Men In Home Ownership

Article below
Single women own roughly 10.7 million homes in America, compared to 8.1 million owned by single men, according to a recent analysis from LendingTree that looked at 2021 census data.

The surprising development has spread nearly all across the country, with single women being more likely to own a home in 48 of 50 states — all but North and South Dakota.

This development was first noted by LendingTree in 2018, and experts are curious to see the full effect of the pandemic’s impact on home buying when more recent census data is released.

Women dominate ownership at the highest rates in southern states like Louisiana, Alabama and South Carolina, which typically have cheaper home prices.

Meanwhile, Florida, Delaware and Maryland reported the widest gender gap among single homeowners. The Sunshine State has a 4.55% gap equating to 262,000 more single women owning homes than men.

North Dakota and South Dakota, the sole states where single men own more homes than single women, are known to be homes to job markets saturated with male-dominated professions, such as oil rigging and construction.

This recent discovery has shocked many who note the financial and societal setbacks that women in America face. Research has shown that women are also more likely to be skipped over for promotions, not taken seriously at work and forced out of the workforce.

Getty Images
Women make an average of 83.1 cents for every dollar a man makes, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

But women are continuing to make strides in other capacities. More women are enrolling and graduating from college than men — and some are defying the pay gap by out-earning men in 22 states across the country.

As women are working to catch up to (or finally surpassing) their male counterparts, they are taking measures to set themselves up for success, even amid a tumultuous housing market.

Buying a home is often touted as one of the best financial investments a person can make.

The average American homeowner who purchased a home in 2011 accumulated an average $225,000 in housing wealth by 2021, according to the National Association of Realtors in 2022.

On a more morbid note, researchers also pointed to women’s longer life expectancy explaining that the reasons for unequal homeownership vary by age group.

Despite the increasing rates of single women signing onto their dream home, the majority of owner-occupied homes in the US belong to couples.

This all comes as interest rates on mortgages are at an all-time high after years of millennials struggling to become homeowners.

Last edited:
I can vouch for FL. I've worked with a few lady coworkers that copped their own home over the years. They were all single at the time too.

Wonder what that statistic is in dense populated affluent areas like California, New York etc though. If you’re living somewhere that homes are $200k it could just be as simple as statistical anomaly and parents more willing to help out with down payments etc for their adult women children for a safe place to live.

Those articles always suspect can never truly tell how good the data is

i feel it. Most my supes past 2 yrs have been women with no kiddos. Smart individuals but most are drama like a mf

It is happening in medicine already at a very steady pace. A few years ago for the first time female medical students outnumbered male ones.

That’s dope good for them. :pimp:

I don’t see that happening in my field but there is maybe a 1:10 female ratio which is good I guess for the industry. :lol:

Time for some of these crabby old dudes to leave and make room for some young people to take over.

I know it says single women and I didn't look or read the article, but also think of a couple that gets a divorce doesn't the female usually get the house?

This just makes sense. The biggest barrier to homeownership is the down payment. The only way to get the down payment is to budget and save.

Regardless of which gender is having more career success, it is socially acceptable for women to both receive handouts and keep money for themselves. A father is more likely to coddle his daughter into adulthood. Paying bills. Getting them on their feet. Allowing them to stay in the home rather than be put in risky scenarios with roommates. A young man who wants to date women is shunned if he lives at home and sometimes even with roommates, shunned if he isn’t well dressed and groomed, shunned for driving a bucket, shunned if he goes Dutch on dates. So young men end up blowing their money to socialize during years that women are being treated like princesses.

Back
Top Bottom