Single's u felt like should have been Hits...But never caught on...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Lloyd Banks Feat Keri Hilson - "Help"
Fat Joe Feat J Holiday - "I Won't Tell"
Ghostface Feat Raheem Devaughn - "Baby"
Young Buck - "Get Buck"
Jay Rock Feat Lil Wayne & Will I Am - "All My Life"
Dirty Money - "Love Come Down"
Eminem - "Beautiful"
Fabolous Feat Jerimih - "Its My Time"
Jadakiss Feat Swizz & OJ Da Juiceman - "Who's Real"
Wyclef Feat Lil Wayne & Akon - "Sweetest Girl"
Ghostface Feat Neyo - "Back Like That"
Usher - "Trading Places" (never knew there was a video to this till I saw it OnDemand a few weeks ago
smh.gif
)
chill son, that burned my ears out in NYC radio, that was a hit.
laugh.gif

It most def. did...
laugh.gif

Philly's Most Wanted- Please Don't Mind
T.I.- I'm Serious
E-40- Muscle Cars
The Federation- 18 Dummy
Juelz Santana- S.A.N.T.A.N.A., Santana's Town,
Cam'ron- Killa Cam, Down and Out, What Mean the World to You
Jim Jones- Certified Gangstas
Diplomats- Dipset Anthem
Memphis Bleek- Round Here

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by NuMba1KiCkrocka

Wale - Chillin ..IF you got Lady gaga on the feature and you both don't crossover and it does nothing for your career you know you %%@#!% up but im surprised it never got big.

A superstar feature does not a career make. That's a very backwards way of thinking. Having GaGa on it doesn't make the song hot.

And why would it matter. If radio has the choice to play just a Lady Gaga single, of which there've been plenty, or a single by some cat they've never heard of that features Lady Gaga, they'll pick the Gaga solo single 9/10 times.

So it actually could have hurt him, because she already had so many records in the market place. Always better to go with an A list artist who is between projects. Who hasn't had a record out in a bit. Then radio is excited to have NEW music from said artist on their station.
I don't think you could be any more wrong my dude. If you don't see the benefit of a new artist featuring an established and superstar status artist on their record then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying it's gonna work everytime, but it most certainly will get you more exposure than a solo record 9 time out of 10. You know how many nobody artists got people to download/listen to their songs just because it had "feat. Lil Wayne" in the title? C'mon son. You can't even tell me Drake would be as big as he is now if it wasn't for him being smart in choosing his features.

Well, the funny thing about that is you are actually very wrong. So what you think is irrelevant. Re-read what I said, because you clearly didn't read it correctly the first time and try again.

I never said he shouldn't have a feature. He picked the wrong artist. One who already had the market flooded with her own music. I carefully explained my train of thought and you seem to have completely missed the point. Give it another go.....

To mainstream America, "Best I Ever Had" put Drake on the map. Where's the feature on that?
Best I Ever Had was his biggest hit, but realistically So Far Gone in general put Drake on the map (Succesful, Goin In, all went big before Best I Ever Had....with features by Lil Wayne, Trey Songz, Bun B, Young Jeezy etc. And how can the market be flooded if eveything she had out was getting airtime? It's not like stations had any problem playing a Gaga solo and a feature back to back. You act like DJ's sit there and contemplate how many times an artist is played...if its requested they'll play it. If thats the case, artists like Wayne and T-Pain would have been worthless on features since their music already "flooded" the market as you say. But clearly we see that isn't true. The song sucked but featuring Lady Gaga was a smart move. I dare you to try and argue that the song would have got as much airplay as it did without Gaga. You can't tell me it would've. Nike Boots was a mixtape gem until Lil Wayne remixed it and it became a hit in it's own right. I'm sorry but featuring an artist who's music is already heavy on the scene (or flooded as you say) will never be a dumb move.

There's a big difference in Lil Wayne and Lady Gaga. With Lady Gaga if the song isn't catchy it's worthless. No one would give a damn about a trackjust cause lil wayne is singing the hook they listening for his verses. That seems pretty clear so I'm not sure why you even trying to go against what Philis saying

"Back Like That" wasn't THAT big... I mean its Ghost's highest charting single (#61), but that joint should've ATLEAST went top 25...

As I said before, all the singles I listed had Billboard Top 10 potential... And that's what I'm basing my response off of... My idea of a BIG singleis ATLEAST Billboard Top 20 or 25... Then a SMASH would be anything beyond that. (Top 5, 10 or even 15)

Originally Posted by EvansST

T.I.- I'm Serious
E-40- Muscle Cars
The Federation- 18 Dummy
Diplomats- Dipset Anthem

I thought that was bleeks biggest song,this and "is that you chick"

Originally Posted by Wade187

Wale - Chillin ..IF you got Lady gaga on the feature and you both don't crossover and it does nothing for your career you know you %%@#!% up but im surprised it never got big.

A superstar feature does not a career make. That's a very backwards way of thinking. Having GaGa on it doesn't make the song hot.

And why would it matter. If radio has the choice to play just a Lady Gaga single, of which there've been plenty, or a single by some cat they've never heard of that features Lady Gaga, they'll pick the Gaga solo single 9/10 times.

So it actually could have hurt him, because she already had so many records in the market place. Always better to go with an A list artist who is between projects. Who hasn't had a record out in a bit. Then radio is excited to have NEW music from said artist on their station.
I don't think you could be any more wrong my dude. If you don't see the benefit of a new artist featuring an established and superstar status artist on their record then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying it's gonna work everytime, but it most certainly will get you more exposure than a solo record 9 time out of 10. You know how many nobody artists got people to download/listen to their songs just because it had "feat. Lil Wayne" in the title? C'mon son. You can't even tell me Drake would be as big as he is now if it wasn't for him being smart in choosing his features.

Well, the funny thing about that is you are actually very wrong. So what you think is irrelevant. Re-read what I said, because you clearly didn't read it correctly the first time and try again.

I never said he shouldn't have a feature. He picked the wrong artist. One who already had the market flooded with her own music. I carefully explained my train of thought and you seem to have completely missed the point. Give it another go.....

To mainstream America, "Best I Ever Had" put Drake on the map. Where's the feature on that?
Best I Ever Had was his biggest hit, but realistically So Far Gone in general put Drake on the map (Succesful, Goin In, all went big before Best I Ever Had....with features by Lil Wayne, Trey Songz, Bun B, Young Jeezy etc. And how can the market be flooded if eveything she had out was getting airtime? It's not like stations had any problem playing a Gaga solo and a feature back to back. You act like DJ's sit there and contemplate how many times an artist is played...if its requested they'll play it. If thats the case, artists like Wayne and T-Pain would have been worthless on features since their music already "flooded" the market as you say. But clearly we see that isn't true. The song sucked but featuring Lady Gaga was a smart move. I dare you to try and argue that the song would have got as much airplay as it did without Gaga. You can't tell me it would've. Nike Boots was a mixtape gem until Lil Wayne remixed it and it became a hit in it's own right. I'm sorry but featuring an artist who's music is already heavy on the scene (or flooded as you say) will never be a dumb move.

There's a big difference in Lil Wayne and Lady Gaga. With Lady Gaga if the song isn't catchy it's worthless. No one would give a damn about a track just cause lil wayne is singing the hook they listening for his verses. That seems pretty clear so I'm not sure why you even trying to go against what Phil is saying
You obviously have no idea how popular Lady Gaga is
laugh.gif
Whohas more number one hits, Gaga or Wayne....I'll wait. The song may be worthless to you, but Gaga is dominating the airwaves, even moreso than Wayne everhas. She has 4 number 1 songs off one album, soon to be 5...ALL her songs are catchy
laugh.gif
Rap fans might check hard for Wayne verses, but the average mainstreamlisteners likes autotune Wayne more than anything else, and we all know his verses aren't all that great in those instances. Video Phone is a huge song,which only FEATURES Lady Gaga, so what are you saying? Mad females are checking for that song because of Gaga, it clearly wouldn't be as popular with justBeyonce. And if hooks don't matter, why are T-Pain features so successful? You mean to tell me people are only checking for his verses too? Just stop.

I don't care what ANYone says...
Fabolous - "Its My Time" should've been a TOP 10 hit. I still LOVE that joint...

With Fab's project, as I said before it dropped it had 3 potential top 10 hits, (Its My Time, Keri Hilson joint, & Throw It In The Bag) then factor in the remix and how that didn't make the album... Def Jam has blood on their hands for that one... Fab should've ATLEAST did 700K with Loso's Way, it wasn't worked the right way, and everything didn't fall into place the way it should for a HIT album...

I will NEVER get why the "Throw It In The Bag" remix was fumbled... I'm not sure who dropped the ball with that, but the fact that it sampled a Dream record (who's also on Def Jam & featured on the album) so clearing that should've been easy... After that all they had to do was shoot a video and put it as a bonus track...

[Nas] "There you go with a platinum CD [/Nas]
If stadiums and arenas count, "It's My Time" is definetly up there, I work at Dolphin Stadium and they played that track before, andyou can clearly hear it before NBA telecast go on commercial, and during play.

My picks
Big Sean - "Getcha Some" an awesome video with a cameo from Ye should of had automatic spins on t.v.
T.I. - "Front to Back", "What You Know" was too huge of a hit
Kid Cudi - "Poke Her Face" too clever of a track to not be a huge hit

and I agree with the Clipse "Kinda Like A Big Deal" seemed real MTV to me, but never flourished

Originally Posted by Wade187

There's a big difference in Lil Wayne and Lady Gaga. With Lady Gaga if the song isn't catchy it's worthless. No one would give a damn about a track just cause lil wayne is singing the hook they listening for his verses. That seems pretty clear so I'm not sure why you even trying to go against what Phil is saying
You obviously have no idea how popular Lady Gaga is
laugh.gif
Who has more number one hits, Gaga or Wayne....I'll wait. The song may be worthless to you, but Gaga is dominating the airwaves, even moreso than Wayne ever has. She has 4 number 1 songs off one album, soon to be 5...ALL her songs are catchy
laugh.gif
Rap fans might check hard for Wayne verses, but the average mainstream listeners likes autotune Wayne more than anything else, and we all know his verses aren't all that great in those instances. Video Phone is a huge song, which only FEATURES Lady Gaga, so what are you saying? Mad females are checking for that song because of Gaga, it clearly wouldn't be as popular with just Beyonce. And if hooks don't matter, why are T-Pain features so successful? You mean to tell me people are only checking for his verses too? Just stop.

You comparing a song by a barely known new artist, that may be one of the worst songs off his whole cd, which happens to be featuring Gaga on it. To a song byof all people Beyonce, that has Gaga on it? You don't seem to be getting the point, which is that if the song sucks no one cares who is singing the hook.I'm saying if the song sucks the hook doesn't matter. Unless the hook is catchy why would people bother? Chillin isn't a catchy song obviously, ifit was we wouldn't be having this debate. Wayne had plenty of features that were with new artist that did a whole lot worse than chillin. But on the onesthat he did more then the hook if he had a good verse it will get some play just off of that. You don't seem to be comprehending what me and phil aresaying. I'm not saying hooks don't matter, I'm saying the ones that suck don't matter. Like you said Gaga got mad catchy hits all over the air,so what makes you think the fact that her feature on a mediocre at best song is gonna get more burn than it already does? If the song is good of course no onesgonna mind throwing some more Gaga up there, but if it sucks oh well she coming on every other track so it don't matter.

Fabolous - "Its My Time" should've been a TOP 10 hit. I still LOVE that joint...

With Fab's project, as I said before it dropped it had 3 potential top 10 hits, (Its My Time, Keri Hilson joint, & Throw It In The Bag) then factor in the remix and how that didn't make the album... Def Jam has blood on their hands for that one... Fab should've ATLEAST did 700K with Loso's Way, it wasn't worked the right way, and everything didn't fall into place the way it should for a HIT album...

I will NEVER get why the "Throw It In The Bag" remix was fumbled... I'm not sure who dropped the ball with that, but the fact that it sampled a Dream record (who's also on Def Jam & featured on the album) so clearing that should've been easy... After that all they had to do was shoot a video and put it as a bonus track...

Def Jam owes Fab some money. This is honestly one of the most catchy songs in a long while. With a video alone it would have destroyed the summer. As far as Mytime i hated it but it did get some recognition the NBA used it in some playoff commercials so it was out their

T.I.- I'm Serious
E-40- Muscle Cars
The Federation- 18 Dummy

Diplomats- Dipset Anthem

please dont mind was ALL over MTV when it dropped. da random fat joe cameo is proof enuff..
laugh.gif

all of juelz's hits on dipset were thumpin hot 97, to this day DJ's are required to play a dipset set in da club
laugh.gif

da memphis bleek joint i heard was actually a misplaced regional smash hit ( son ain't pop in his hometown, but it was EVERYWHERE down south)

T.I.- I'm Serious
E-40- Muscle Cars
The Federation- 18 Dummy

Diplomats- Dipset Anthem

please dont mind was ALL over MTV when it dropped. da random fat joe cameo is proof enuff..
laugh.gif

all of juelz's hits on dipset were thumpin hot 97, to this day DJ's are required to play a dipset set in da club
laugh.gif

da memphis bleek joint i heard was actually a misplaced regional smash hit ( son ain't pop in his hometown, but it was EVERYWHERE down south)

You ain't lyin, you'd think it was a Trick Daddy track as much as it was played down here. "It's hot as hell but it snows round here"
pimp.gif

What did "chillin" peak at on the charts? I remember hearing that it was closing in on a million sales. That seems like a hit

"Back Like That" wasn't THAT big... I mean its Ghost's highest charting single (#61), but that joint should've ATLEAST went top 25...

As I said before, all the singles I listed had Billboard Top 10 potential... And that's what I'm basing my response off of... My idea of a BIG single is ATLEAST Billboard Top 20 or 25... Then a SMASH would be anything beyond that. (Top 5, 10 or even 15)
you gotta look at it in proper perspective, it was a 1# rap & r&b single, big for his world, which is his core market.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

laugh.gif
Song was smooth as hell though. Just had that...walk through the club slow-mo and eye chicks...feel to it.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Can't believe dude said "Round Here". That %!%% got played the *$$# out.

But um...whatever that Rick Ross and John Legend was. Song was so dope.

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

laugh.gif
Song was smooth as hell though. Just had that...walk through the club slow-mo and eye chicks...feel to it.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Can't believe dude said "Round Here". That %!%% got played the *$$# out.

But um...whatever that Rick Ross and John Legend was. Song was so dope.
Magnificent... had one of my favorite beats of the year.

THIS:

With a PROPER video, song could (should) have done MUCH better. I personally think this is one of the very bestNeptunes beats in YEARS.

eek.gif
sick.gif
smokin.gif
pimp.gif
smh.gif
...I literally remember having this track on repeat for daaaaays just because of thebeat.
laugh.gif

^ Real talk. It was lame how they made the video exclusively for the underlying meaning. They could've done both...with the drugs and the club/femaleatmosphere.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

There is alot of hate but this song is a hit.

I agree 100% this song is straight
pimp.gif
, I remember in Philly they werepredicting this was a #1 hit and barely got into the 30's if I remember

Originally Posted by retrowear23

If stadiums and arenas count, "It's My Time" is definetly up there, I work at Dolphin Stadium and they played that track before, and you can clearly hear it before NBA telecast go on commercial, and during play.

My picks
Big Sean - "Getcha Some" an awesome video with a cameo from Ye should of had automatic spins on t.v.
T.I. - "Front to Back", "What You Know" was too huge of a hit
Kid Cudi - "Poke Her Face" too clever of a track to not be a huge hit

and I agree with the Clipse "Kinda Like A Big Deal" seemed real MTV to me, but never flourished

im sorry but this is one of or possible is worst song to date...he needs to slap himself for releasing that....i have both his tapes and theres so many bettersongs to release...that %*## was garbage from the beat to the lyrics....
sean is still nice tho
pimp.gif

N.E.R.D - Sooner or Later & Maybe
The Roots Ft. Wale - Rising Up
Common - On the Corner & Drunk Punch Love
Memphis Bleek - Like That & Round Here
Nas - Hero
Lil Wayne - Bring it Back
Lupe - He Say, She Say
Kanye - Two Words (Low Budget video, but song is crack)

Lloyd Banks Feat Keri Hilson - "Help"
Ghostface Feat Raheem Devaughn - "Baby"
Young Buck - "Get Buck"
Jay Rock Feat Lil Wayne & Will I Am - "All My Life"
Dirty Money - "Love Come Down"
Eminem - "Beautiful"
Fabolous Feat Jerimih - "Its My Time"
Jadakiss Feat Swizz & OJ Da Juiceman - "Who's Real"
Wyclef Feat Lil Wayne & Akon - "Sweetest Girl"
Ghostface Feat Neyo - "Back Like That"
Usher - "Trading Places" (never knew there was a video to this till I saw it OnDemand a few weeks ago
smh.gif
)
chill son, that burned my ears out in NYC radio, that was a hit.
laugh.gif

That actually caught on late down here in FL.

"I Know" would've been soooo dope as a big hit. same with "WannaLove You Girl."

or maybe i just really love those joints.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom