Small Island Emerges After Huge Pakistan Earthquake

http://www.businessinsider.com/small-island-emerges-after-huge-pakistan-earthquake-2013-9

A small island has emerged off the southern coast of Pakistan after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck the country.

Reuters reports that "a crowd of bewildered people [gathered] on the shore to witness the rare phenomenon."

The quake killed at least 45 people, and many of the buildings in the impoverished area of the Baluchistan province have caved in.

Pakistani TV Geo News, citing Pakistan's deputy inspector general, reported that the 100-feet-wide island arose out of the Arabian Sea about 350 feet off the coast of Gwadar.

The epicenter of the quake was about 320 miles to the northeast.

View media item 589674

Where are our theorists at? Pretty crazy and to think how much more is out there is now taken to the next level.

:smokin

The question "how much will it cost to buy it?" will overshadow that most pertinent question of "how did this happen?"

The question "how much will it cost to buy it?" will overshadow that most pertinent question of "how did this happen?"

This times a thousand. Its sad that something like this while mind blowing to some to majority its just a oh thats cool and moving on. That one event just raises so many other questions. How much more is out there. I mean even in our planet here there is still so much to be discovered.

they prayed for an island and allah gave it to them... maybe muslims have been right about their religion being right this whole time
All it took was the sacrifice of 45 people.

Right.

This happens a lot.

There are many new islands, but their proximity to human eyes and land masses allows for them to remain secret. There are people that buy private islands as well.

The changing of land masses always provides for new opportunities. Even now, the melting ice on the north pole is creating new trade routes.

Melting Ice Opens Fight Over Sea Routes for Arctic Debate
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-fight-over-sea-routes-for-arctic-debate.html

Last edited:
i mean...is it an island with trees and all that?

or just a large mass of earth that's risen due to what earthquakes usually do.

i mean...is it an island with trees and all that?

or just a large mass of earth that's risen due to what earthquakes usually do.

Sometime theres the coral and stuff that makes undewater "trees", but there hasn't been enough time for trees like you are talking about to grow

if that's the case, then this really is nothing special.

To those that pay attention in school maybe not, to those that didnt or dont care things like this will spark the minds of a few to look into science and learn more. Stuff like this fascinates me alot, although sadly i dont do more independent study with all the free education out. Maybe more public awareness of these events will encourage more interest in science.

DAT ETHER!
roll.gif
roll.gif

I meant what event took place that cause it to appear? Did it happen due to plate convergence, sea levels dropping, or volcanic activity. I paid attention in geology and am aware of how islands and land masses are created, cool kids.

Last edited:
I meant what event took place that cause it to appear? Did it happen due to plate convergence, sea levels dropping, or volcanic activity. I paid attention in geology and am aware of how islands and land masses are created, cool kids.
the title of the topic says a large earthquake though............................ :lol:

Just making assumptions, I would assume that it was the result of tectonic plate activity of some sort.  Because of the height of the island I would eliminate sea level dropping as a theory.  70 ft. is a drastic shift in sea level and a shift of that magnitude would have effects on a global level...and that would be assuming the land mass was lying right under the ocean's surface.  I am not familiar enough to speak to volcanic activity in the area, but it is possible that it could be the result of a hot spot or newly forming volcano.  The only problem I have with this theory is that you see the land mass, but for it to be formed as a result of volcanic activity there should be a lot of lava being expelled and cooling down to form the land....and that is not happening overnight.  If you are familiar with Volcano National Park in Hawaii, lava is constantly flowing and the amount of land formed over the course of a year is not the equivalent of that land mass.

Interested to hear more about this story though.   

Back
Top Bottom