SMH, NYPD cops wound each other while trying to shoot pit bull.

[h1]NYPD cops hit by own shots: 3 police officers wounded as pit bull attacks on upper East Side[/h1]
BY Bob Kappstatter, Simone Weichselbaum, Alison Gendar and Leo Standora

Thursday, July 9th 2009, 1:11 AM

alg_emt2.jpg
Keivom/News
A man believed to be an NYPD officer is treated at scene of shooting on upper East Side Wednesday night.

Three cops were hit with ricocheting bullets Wednesday night while blasting away at a pit bull attacking them in a narrow passageway of an upper East Side housing project, police said.

Three other officers were either bitten or scratched by the dog before cops killed it, they said. None of the injuries was serious, but one cop was hit under the eye.

Police said the mayhem in the Isaacs Houses at 1806 First Ave. and 94th St., which sent scores of people running for cover on the street below, began about 10:30 p.m. when cops went in to investigate a 911 call about an assault with a gun.

When they got to the 11th floor of the 20-story building and knocked on the door of the apartment in question, a woman opened it and the snarling pit bull leaped out. All six cops went for their guns while trying to fend the dog off with their hands and feet, police said.

Samaria Marrero, who was in a bodega on the corner of E. 95th St., ran out to see what was going on when she heard the first shot.

"There were five shots at least," she said.

"At first we thought it was firecrackers. We went to see to be nosy, and there was a cop on the floor." Investigators said the woman in the apartment, identified as Milagros Martinez, slammed the door on the cops after the gunfire ended and the dog was dead. She suffered a hand injury and was arrested, police said.

Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said five other people in the apartment then barricaded themselves inside for about a half-hour.

They surrendered quietly after a hostage negotiator talked to them for about 20 minutes.

Browne said the cop hurt the worst took a bullet fragment below the eye. Another officer was hit in the hand, and a third was hit on the side of his nose.

All of the officers were treated at New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell.

Browne said no weapon was found in the apartment.

But he said investigators believe the woman "deliberately" set the pit bull on the cops.

During the drama, the streets outside were packed with police cruisers and emergency vehicles as dozens of cops swarmed in and around the building, which has open-air hallways.

As he viewed the commotion, Isiah Marrero, 13, said he hoped the cop with the eye injury being taken away on a stretcher would be okay.

"He used to work on the block, he was a nice guy. Everybody likes him. He's cool."

agendar@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/07/08/2009-07-08_nypd_cops_hit_by_own_shots_3_finest_wounded_as_pit_bull_attacks_on_upper_east_si.html#ixzz0KlqmWaHy&D

smh.gif

Three cops were hit with ricocheting bullets Wednesday night while blasting away at a pit bull attacking them in a narrow passageway of an upper East Side housing project, police said.

tired.gif
smh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Friendly fire? Since when does shooting at anything period = friendly?
good point, just using the phrase i see in the media all the time. i should probably change it to "cops shoot each other."

Originally Posted by Shapeshiftah

good point, just using the phrase i see in the media all the time. i should probably change it to "cops shoot each other."
they got hit by bullet fragments from their own people. hence, friendly

Investigators said the woman in the apartment, identified as Milagros Martinez, slammed the door on the cops after the gunfire ended and the dog was dead.

hahahahahahahahahaha

How is that a good point?
Friendly fire = A bullet from a comrade = Someone on THEIR side.

I understand the cool thing to do is hate on the cops, but sometimes it just gets too out of control.

They cant even shoot a damn pit bull....but they can shoot a minority with accuracy
smh.gif

Pigs tend to be slower than pit bulls anyways.

Originally Posted by Diego

How is that a good point?
Friendly fire = A bullet from a comrade = Someone on THEIR side.

I understand the cool thing to do is hate on the cops, but sometimes it just gets too out of control
i felt that he made a good point about the use of commonly used phrases in general. i realize the term originated w/the military notion ofgetting shot at by friendlies, but as i gave it further thought, the phrase "friendly fire" seems a little bit like an oxymoron.

for the record, i harbor no hatred towards cops.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

NYC = Trigger happy ******s

cosign....yall cops stay makin the news...always bout shooting something waaaaaaaay past the limit of necessary

Originally Posted by Korean Dave

They cant even shoot a damn pit bull....but they can shoot a minority with accuracy

The pitbull had white fur.

Why the cop bashing? You guys have no clue how hard it is to be a police officer. I have friends as officers and they tell me stories about what they have togo through on a daily basis. The media hates cops, the public hates cops. When are we going to start support our guys? I'd imagine no one in here would runtowards bullets, but cops do. And have you guys seen how narrow the hallways are of projects? You can blame them getting hit if there's 4 guys in a crampedhallways, trying to avoid a pitbull that was sent to attack them by a lowlife scum bag. I hope the cops get better soon.

the media does not hate cops... thats for sure

the public does not hate cops... the public who commits "illegal" actions daily do hate cops

Originally Posted by AuthenticNikes

Why the cop bashing? You guys have no clue how hard it is to be a police officer. I have friends as officers and they tell me stories about what they have to go through on a daily basis. The media hates cops, the public hates cops. When are we going to start support our guys? I'd imagine no one in here would run towards bullets, but cops do. And have you guys seen how narrow the hallways are of projects? You can blame them getting hit if there's 4 guys in a cramped hallways, trying to avoid a pitbull that was sent to attack them by a lowlife scum bag. I hope the cops get better soon.

O...k...
eyes.gif
When will the police stop bashing on us??? Do you know how hard it is to be a person of a race other than white and not onlyhave to deal with racism on a daily basis, but add police running up on people, profiling and all, it gets pretty old.When are they going to start actualy supporting us? When a cop witnesses a beat down, do you think he tries to stopit??? Or how about that cop in the Bay Area that shot that kid? Let me guess, it was a wide open train stop. When thepolice actualy tries to help the community, then come and talk.

Originally Posted by Korean Dave

Originally Posted by AuthenticNikes

Why the cop bashing? You guys have no clue how hard it is to be a police officer. I have friends as officers and they tell me stories about what they have to go through on a daily basis. The media hates cops, the public hates cops. When are we going to start support our guys? I'd imagine no one in here would run towards bullets, but cops do. And have you guys seen how narrow the hallways are of projects? You can blame them getting hit if there's 4 guys in a cramped hallways, trying to avoid a pitbull that was sent to attack them by a lowlife scum bag. I hope the cops get better soon.

O...k...
eyes.gif
When will the police stop bashing on us??? Do you know how hard it is to be a person of a race other than white and not only have to deal with racism on a daily basis, but add police running up on people, profiling and all, it gets pretty old. When are they going to start actualy supporting us? When a cop witnesses a beat down, do you think he tries to stop it??? Or how about that cop in the Bay Area that shot that kid? Let me guess, it was a wide open train stop. When the police actualy tries to help the community, then come and talk.

couldnt say it any better.

Originally Posted by reeeem0

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

NYC = Trigger happy ******s

cosign....yall cops stay makin the news...always bout shooting something waaaaaaaay past the limit of necessary

Yeah, because a woman letting a PIT BULL loose to attack the officers does not warrant gun fire right?

indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom