Smoke Shops in NYC

What’s up. Now that Mary Jane got her rights in the city, I see a lot of smoke shops popping up in every borough. I checked out some in Manhattan/BK/ And Queens.

Do anyone know the process on how this work? Can you just open up a shop at your preferred location? Permits/Licenses? Are these owners just taking a risk until they have to close or wait till they get hit with a fine then shut down?

The laws are weird. Some places get shutdown but others get around it by accepting money as donations and then giving weed and weed products to them as “gifts”. Dunno if that has changed.

I’m on Long Island and so many damn counties here are conservative and don’t want dispensaries in their towns. I just want to be able to go to a store and have a bunch of edibles to buy. Not sure if edibles are even allowed by the laws.

The laws are weird. Some places get shutdown but others get around it by accepting money as donations and then giving weed and weed products to them as “gifts”. Dunno if that has changed.
Strategy sounds familiar….

Nyc weed laws are probably the most laxed in the country right now. I don’t even think you need a license at the moment. They just made it legal with little to no guidelines.

Last edited:
As a taxman that lives in California and have never been to New York all I will say is this. Some rules for dispensaries literally depend on the city where you live. Which will have you needing to look up if there’s a limit to how many dispensaries can exist in your own city.

For example sidenote: in my exact city there’s a limit to how many gambling locations there are in the city which is two and there’s only one (currently). And this is California which gambling is illegal. And there’s more in depth details about what could go on inside those gambling institutions.

Yes you will need to look up your city and county laws to apply for a license to sell Dro. Just like you apply for a liquor license if you’re a restaurant.

This goes even for retail Plaza owners. You can’t have six donut spots in one place you know?

NYC is basically how DC was back in 2016. Alot of ppl took a mile when they were given an inch with the "gifting" concept. Alot of events, shops, etc. got shut down. The ones who played it right are still thriving. The whole gifting aspect is a bit laxed now, or a rather a lil more sophisticated I'd say. But basically there are dispensaries (medical) and "retail" stores (rec, or should I say "gifting"). The key to securing a permit is really being able to mask your shop as something besides a blatant "weed shop". The one I go is basically an "art, glass, and cbd store".

Last edited:
Smoke shops aren't necessarily dispensaries. A number of them are converted bodegas/corner stores that stopped selling hot food and started selling smoking accessories insted.

There's a key difference between smoke shops and dispensaries.

Smoke shops been around before these weed laws were changed and back then its was mainly cigars and hookahs they specialized in.

I spoke about this recently in another thread but given the lax laws, inconsistent enforcing of them, and now clear guidelines a ton of smoke shops are selling bud just not openly and certainly not displaying it. Every smoke shop I been to that does only takes cash so I'm not even sure how they're maneuvering that tax wise. Its basically like the plug works in the corner store.

You don't need all of the same licenses and permits a dispensary has but that isn't a surprise given there aren't dispensaries like that in NY compared to Cali and Colorado.

Last edited:
I've only come across one place that has weed out in the open with prices & names etc etc... and they actually did call themself a dispensary so you may be right. It still may not be "legal" for these stores to sell but they damn sure are

There's a key difference between a smoke shops and dispensaries.

Smoke shops been around before these weed laws were changed and back then its was mainly cigars and hookahs they specialized in.

I spoke about this recently in another thread but given the lax laws, inconsistent enforcing of them, and now clear guidelines a ton of smoke shops are selling bud just not openly and certainly not displaying it. Every smoke shop I been to that does only takes cash so I'm not even sure how they're maneuvering that tax wise. Its basically like the plug works in the corner store.

You don't need all of the same licenses and permits a dispensary has but that isn't a surprise given there aren't dispensaries like that in NY compared to Cali and Colorado.

The difference is transparency or the perception of it at least. Smoke shops won’t tell you how much thc is in strains and pre rolls but dispensaries do. Also I don’t trust the oils from smoke shops. But they have there perks. All the smoke shops I been too take cash, card, cash app, venmo, zelle, anything but a check. Have seen no difference in the quality of bud from smoke shops and dispensaries either at least uptown in Harlem and da heightz but we also been had fire trees tho so not sure how it is in other parts of the city atm

The difference is transparency or the perception of it at least. Smoke shops won’t tell you how much thc is in strains and pre rolls but dispensaries do. Also I don’t trust the oils from smoke shops. But they have there perks. All the smoke shops I been too take cash, card, cash app, venmo, zelle, anything but a check. Have seen no difference in the quality of bud from smoke shops and dispensaries either at least uptown in Harlem and da heightz but we also been had fire trees tho so not sure how it is in other parts of the city atm
Yeah not a lot of difference in bud.

Also cosign on oils, wax, vapes and other products. Seems shops stock that **** to keep up appearances.

Pre rolls are a waste of time. I'd rather go back to smoking black and milds.

I mostly deal with the ones in BK. Occasionally Queens.

Dont buy weed from those smoke shops. They sell the lowest quality of weed they can get their hands on...thats why it costs $20-$25 an 8th. They are good if you need a lighter, backwoods or papers but for actual weed I would stay away.

But to answer your question as of right now you dont need a license to sell weed out of them. None of the spots i know in the LES, Harlem or Queens have a marijuana license.

Yeah not a lot of difference in bud.

Also cosign on oils, wax, vapes and other products. Seems shops stock that **** to keep up appearances.

Pre rolls are a waste of time. I'd rather go back to smoking black and milds.

I mostly deal with the ones in BK. Occasionally Queens.
Pre rolls are generally trash and are to be avoided however I had a pull from my brothers (who’s not really a toker like that) joint and it was legit legit. Strain was Cereal milk 26% thc from Indoor cannabis club on 144 bway. They aight but I’ll just stick with my plug same quality cheaper prices.

Last edited:
Dont buy weed from those smoke shops. They sell the lowest quality of weed they can get their hands on...thats why it costs $20-$25 an 8th. They are good if you need a lighter, backwoods or papers but for actual weed I would stay away.

But to answer your question as of right now you dont need a license to sell weed out of them. None of the spots i know in the LES, Harlem or Queens have a marijuana license.
Na some of these spots have prices ranging from $20 to finesse prices $60 a 8th depending on the strain. No big difference quality wise I have seen buying from smoke shops, dispensaries, delivery services and street plugs.

Last edited:
Na some of these spots have prices ranging from $20 to finesse prices $60 a 8th depending on the strain. No big difference quality wise I have seen buying from smoke shops, dispensaries, delivery services and street plugs.
People paying $60 for blockwork :lol:

I see why the westcoast laughed at us when we said were smoking "loud" or "za"

Got some gummies. Ate 2 gummy bears and didn't feel much effects. Few days later I ate 3, bad idea. Definitely felt high but then sick after.

Back
Top Bottom