Smush Parker Struggling To Fit In With Heat

www.miamiherald.com/594/story/298519.html

Parker Struggling To Fit In With Heat:
Moments after he finished interviews with reporters Tuesday, Heat guard Smush Parker walked back to the security door that leads to the team locker room.

It was locked. He didn't have an access card and, he said, his fingerprint wasn't on file yet in the arena's sophisticated system.

Simply put: Parker was on the outside looking in.

''I hope they're not trying to tell me something,'' Parker joked. ``I don't know if that's a bad sign or what.''

The situation might best describe Parker's status at this point in the season. Parker, a former Los Angeles Lakers point guard who was the Heat's biggest free agent acquisition, enters his fourth game of the season still uncertain of his role with Miami.

He has not played in the past two games. And he is not guaranteed to be in the rotation Wednesday night, when the Heat (0-3) visits the defending champion Spurs.

The Heat faces a difficult stretch as it tries to overcome a slow start without leading scorer Dwyane Wade, who traveled with the team but is not expected to play as he continues his recovery from knee and shoulder surgeries. His absence has left a huge void in the backcourt.

When Parker signed his two-year deal in July, there was talk he would push incumbent Jason Williams for the starting job. But four games into the season, Parker has yet to supplant undrafted second-year guard Chris Quinn as the top backup.

A TOUGH FIT

Heat coach Pat Riley said Tuesday that Parker still has yet to factor into the mix at point guard and is better suited as a reserve shooting guard -- where minutes also are tough to come by behind Ricky Davis and rookie Daequan Cook.

''No, he hasn't [shown enough],'' Riley said when asked why Parker has remained on the bench the past two games. ``That's the reason. He'll get his chance. He's more of a scoring point [guard]. I really don't need that right now. What I want is somebody who'll get us organized.''

That, apparently, has been Quinn.

Parker said he met with Riley on Tuesday to clear up issues regarding his role. Riley's assessment was blunt.

''He said he didn't like the way I was running the point, running the offense,'' Parker said. ``I'm a point guard at heart, but he's playing me at [shooting guard]. I just have to reboot my system.''

IMO Smush was great for the Lakers in 05-06 through midway 06-07 but as of today, his confidence is pretty low. He seems nervous every time he's on the floor. I hope he gets back to his real form and is able to show Riley what he can do.

Air Jordan
1984-1993
1995-1998
2001-2003
"The best there ever was, the best there ever will be."

If you cant beat out Quinn you shouldn't be in the league.

Parker is garbage anyway though.
TEAMNEWYORKMETS​

Quote:
IMO Smush was great
Team Lakers1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002
This season will shape the future of this franchise..​

Quote:
``I'm a point guard at heart"

Quote:
''He said he didn't like the way I was running the point, running the offense,''
:lol:
laugh.gif

well at least he got a contract....i think he'll be traded, unless there is an injury.
www.dyyhardsvault.com Authentic Shoes/Caps/Jerseys/Shirts here.

Blog for new items/personal blog.

Dude is terrible.

And you all have my Lakers to thank for bringing him into the league.

So if your team ends up picking him up, blame us.
4L8O15S16T23!42
My 5 teams: 1. ANGELS, 2. LAKERS (I grew up on Angels/Lakers games), 3. UK WILDCATS (my wife is from Kentucky), 4. TN TITANS (we married and started our lives together in Tennessee), 5. L.A. SPARKS (WNBA/Sparks fan since Day One). When my teams aren't playing, I'll always show love for these SoCal teams: L.A. CLIPPERS, S.D. PADRES, Anaheim DUCKS, USC TROJANS, S.D. CHARGERS, L.A. AVENGERS, L.A. DODGERS, U.C.L.A. BRUINS, L.A. KINGS, L.A. GALAXY. "This game is in the refrigerator! The door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's gettin hard, and the Jello's jigglin!" -Chick Hearn (R.I.P.)​

^
Actually Ska, I thought it was the Suns who brought him into the league orignially.

*EDIT

I'm wrong, it was Cleveland.
.:Flowsomuch:.​
TEAMLAKERS
LAKER FANS, FEELIN' YOU!​
TEAMSANDIEGOCHARGERS

He Doesnt have Kobe anymore...he cant just pass the ball, stand back and watch. He has to be involved now...lol
You're only a leader if you can get a leader to follow you

EZ$

I think Smush is one of those guys with some talent but not enough intelligence to maximize it.

He has a two year deal with the Heats. $2.2 M this year and a player option of $2.4M for next year--- Best believe he is picking up that option :lol:
laugh.gif
TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
James, D.Brown, S.Brown, Gibson, Hughes, Z, Damon, D.Jones, Marshall, Newble, Gooden, Bruise,Nichols, Simmons, Snow, Sasha​

I think Smush is one of those guys with some talent but not enough intelligence
RAIDER NATION

That fools a bum....He belongs in the NBDL

Team Dodgers
55 . 59 .
63 . 65 . 81 . 88
Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Valenzuela, Hershiser, Piazza, Loney
RAIDER NATION

Oh, alright then, KB8SD. Thanks.

So yeah, don't blame us for bringing him into the league, folks. He's been passed around enough times for your front office to know better.
4L8O15S16T23!42
My 5 teams: 1. ANGELS, 2. LAKERS (I grew up on Angels/Lakers games), 3. UK WILDCATS (my wife is from Kentucky), 4. TN TITANS (we married and started our lives together in Tennessee), 5. L.A. SPARKS (WNBA/Sparks fan since Day One). When my teams aren't playing, I'll always show love for these SoCal teams: L.A. CLIPPERS, S.D. PADRES, Anaheim DUCKS, USC TROJANS, S.D. CHARGERS, L.A. AVENGERS, L.A. DODGERS, U.C.L.A. BRUINS, L.A. KINGS, L.A. GALAXY. "This game is in the refrigerator! The door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's gettin hard, and the Jello's jigglin!" -Chick Hearn (R.I.P.)​

Him and Stevie Francis have it bad with there respective teams. :lol:
laugh.gif
TeamClippers
GET WELL EB42/SL14
AL THORNTON FOR ROY
SC TROJANS
MAYO-GIBSON-JEFFERSON

Smush Struggling, those goes hand in hand.

why is there a need to write an article about this guy struggling? :smh:
smh.gif
Zero Tolerance

dude looked out of place when i seen him the other night ... he missed a shot and turned the ball over and after that, he reminded me of myself when i was playing a bum squad going through the motions wanting to get off the court to bag a broad in the 3rd row
TEAMCOWBOYS

MarleysProtege:
dude looked out of place when i seen him the other night ... he missed a shot and turned the ball over and after that, he reminded me of myself when i was playing a bum squad going through the motions wanting to get off the court to bag a broad in the 3rd row

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Air Jordan
1984-1993
1995-1998
2001-2003
"The best there ever was, the best there ever will be."

I'm so shocked!
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin 23ska909red02 KingLouisXIV DS 530s Finest sir hendrix Rexanglorum Kiddin Like Jason
TEAMCOWBOYS

^ Basically. :lol:
laugh.gif
4L8O15S16T23!42

In all fairness....JWill has been playin pretty well. I was expecting him to have another terrible season cause last year wasn't too great but he's doin well.

There's NO excuse for playing behind Chris Quinn though. He just may be the worst player in the last tens years of the league.
DON'T PUT UP NO BRICK​
The B.O.P.​

^^^Damn. :lol:
laugh.gif

Call me an optimist, but I think it's too early to just say, "Smush is a failure here." Letting him have any freedom in his role, i.e. having the ball in his hands for any extended amount of time, is asking for trouble, which is what was happening out there by necessity with Wade out. I think when Wade comes back you'll see Smush's role change to something that will be better for everyone involved, which is:

"See that 3-point line? Go and stand there. When Wade drives and kicks, shoot. When Shaq pitches out of the double, shoot or repost him. That's it. Do anything more and we're trading you to Minnesota."

Hell, it worked for Damon "The Butler" Jones when he was here, hopefully it'll work for Smush too. :lol:
laugh.gif
"Sports Do Not Build Character, They Reveal It." - John Wooden
TEAM AM FAM

^
Unfortunately, Smush can't hit open 3s. :b
tongue.gif
.:Flowsomuch:.
TEAMLAKERS
LAKER FANS, FEELIN' YOU!
TEAMSANDIEGOCHARGERS

Why did Riley think he'd like Smush? I'm not a Smush hater, as most of NT is, but I think it was pretty obvious that these two wouldn't mesh together. I mean... if Phil couldn't get along with him, why could Pat?

On a whole other note, the Heat is just a terribly put together team... and the sad thing is that Riley seems to be looking to place the blame on his players. Benching his "best off-season acquisition"... as I said before, I think most people could've told you a Riley/Parker realtionship wasn't going to work out. Calling out Shaq... he's 35 years old and 325 pounds, been in the league for 15 years. You got one championship out of him, be happ with that, he's done. Too old, too slow. Riley still expects him to be the most dominant player in the league, which is unrealistic and unfair to Shaq. You'd be better off starting Zo. Ricky Davis move was good for the time being, without Wade they'd have no chance of winning if they didn't have Davis, as proved in the pre-season. Although, I do think Davis is going to clash with both Wade and Riley when Wade returns to the line-up.

To sum things up, Riley has nobody to blame for the L's stacking up but himself. I mean, just take a look at their roster on paper... it's a bad team. Look at their record. Watch them play. It's no secret. Can anybody say "rebuild"?

Quote:
Smush Parker Struggling To Fit In With Basketball
Team Lakers1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002
This season will shape the future of this franchise..​

Back
Top Bottom