Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

miss the good ol days..... 98-2003 where you could get up at 8 and there be about 10-15 sneakers heads at the mall and everyone got what they needed and not just because they could resell em or because others got em

Originally Posted by IJUMPMAN

You guys have been whining about this for years. I'm tired of reading "the sneaker scene is dead", "this hobby sucks now" and whatnot. It's not dead, it's just reaching its potential. As far as the quality goes, CONTROL IT. Stop buying them, demand better quality, and you will get it. Nike is a business just like any other, they are out to make a profit, so they will sell the cheapest product they can get away with. If you really care, don't let them get away with it.

partially agree if nike can bring back the trainer sc ii qs and banned 1 with that kind of quality, it is possible...

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Anyone 30 & older who's been into shoes since mid to late 80's are true originators to this whole sneaker phenomenon. We started buying stocks of shoes we simply just loved. We witnessed it all experienced it all. Some youngbucks will never understand. It wasn't just Jordans btw some of us rocked Troop, Ellesse, British Knights, Lotto to name a few.

Homey you taking me back with all of this......I remember them LA Gears as well.......them BK's got banned at schools out in CaLi I remember dudes was trippin off of those....

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

It's not dead, it will never die for those that truly collect shoes.
I've been buying sneakers heavy since I got my first paycheck back in 1997.

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout.  Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh).  I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more.  So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that.  It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat.  You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley.  You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball.  I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat.  You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back.  Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

So congrats, you remember MJ as a Wizard and caught the rest of his highlights of ripped DVD's.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99.  Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early.  Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened.  Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people 
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release.  Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

All these shenanigans nowadays,
30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

I miss it, it isn't dead, but definitely taking a hiatus for now.

I'm 22, and I can guarantee that I was just as intense during the 1998 Bulls Finals run at 8 years old as you were, and just as pissed when Jerry Krause blew up the team after the season so get out of here with that

I'm from a small town and it isn't even collecting here. It's teens and dopeboys wanting the newest jays. I was in a store looking at some Bass loafers and a guy (a dboy) was ready to buy the aqua 8.0s (I think). The manager told him some "new jordans" were coming in in a couple of days. He asked what they look like. The manager said they're the Air Jordan 12s. He said what they look like. He ended up putting the 8.0s back and said he would just come back and get the new ones. 
I'm have a few dozen pair, but I"m not a collector. Finished my MBA in May '11 and don't really get a chance to wear my jays anymore. I have had the red/white 17s under my bed since October, never tried them on. 

Originally Posted by BayArea23

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout.  Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh).  I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more.  So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that.  It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat.  You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley.  You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball.  I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat.  You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back.  Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

So congrats, you remember MJ as a Wizard and caught the rest of his highlights of ripped DVD's.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99.  Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early.  Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened.  Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people 
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release.  Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

This is the truth right here... I get into it with my younger cousins and newphews all time about this shoes.
Not really true. People can be true fans of MJ even if they were not around to watch his prime. My godmother has pretty much everything needed to turn someone from a casual fan of D. Wade to an MJ aficionado. If you like the game and don't just memorize stats and you have a chance to watch most of MJ's career (on dvd or espn classic), you can become a true fan. 
P.S. I don't belong in category. I was born in 86 and remember Mike, actually saw him beat Chuck and the Rockets in Chicago as a kid. 

Originally Posted by wagonracer7

smokin.gif

30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

This is the truth right here... I get into it with my younger cousins and newphews all time about this shoes.

Co-sign, said it all right there. Thanks.

too many kids in line i think WTMFF is going on
indifferent.gif
 if it weren't for them i swear the lines would be way short.

Originally Posted by AirJaiden

I think you older folks are just hating on the younger generation like me. So what we love J's. Just cause you guys seen MJ in his prime I personally don't think that has anything to do with anybody wearing his shoes. You guys just can't accept the fact that kids are more materialistic nowadays. I'm sure you guys can just reflect on your own kids. Im sure your kids want nice shoes as well as you all do. Whats next, you gonna hate on your own kids because they hyped about J's. C'mon with that *******t. Grow up and quit complaining. We don't be complaining when we see y'all grown *!* man crying when you don't get a pair of retro release. Dont you have bills and ++@% to pay for. Call me a hypebeast call me what you wanna call me. Imma buy what i like and everybody gonna spend their money on what they like. That word hypebeast gets on my nerves every time I hear it.

It's a fad to you kiddo just admit it. You like J's because everyone else does and you wanna fit in. Show respect to the originators son.

Fad or not. I don't need to fit in with anybody. Most people can't even afford these overprice sneakers. And you guys are not the originators. MJ is the originator. I respect MJ.

Nothing wrong with respecting MJ, but the older generation are the originators when it comes to making Air Jordans hot to begin with. Sneaker culture and urban culture go hand in hand, and myself being 30 years old, can remember when Jordans were pretty much the ONLY status symbol of sneakers. The "old heads" didn't make the shoes, but we certainly flossed the hell out of them and helped build that brand into what it has become today.   

Originally Posted by east99

Originally Posted by wagonracer7

Co-sign, said it all right there. Thanks.

too many kids in line i think WTMFF is going on
indifferent.gif
 if it weren't for them i swear the lines would be way short.

To a certain degree, I can't fault them. There are cats my age out there who wear Chuck Taylor's regularly who weren't even born in the 70's. Jordans have a timeless appeal and history behind the shoes that have carried on throughout the years past his final retirement. What I don't respect are those who jump in line to resell a sneaker that someone, even if they are 10 years old, wanted to have to actually wear.

People have respect for the resell factor of the Jordans than they do the shoes themselves and that is absolutely ridiculous.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by PRIME

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout. �Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh). �I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more. �So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that. �It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat. �You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley. �You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball. �I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat. �You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back. �Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99. �Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early. �Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened. �Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people�
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release. �Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

30t6p3b.gif
. �ALL HYPE!!!

THIS pretty much sums it up!

What's happening in the sneaker collecting world is the same trend that has been seen in watches in the last 10yrs. People (hype) have brought more attention to certain brands and behaviors["collecting"]...so of course the manufacture whether Rolex, Casio, or Jordan/Nike in this case are going to target the ignorant clan of people that think that by owning this new THING you will get eyeballs on you and all of a sudden you are someone....
tired.gif
....at the end of the day...you made a guy "break his neck" at the mall to get a glimpse of your feet for 2 seconds and you are out $200 less in your pocket and then you have to take the train/bus back home...and then post on "YouBook" how many MEN saw your feet.

People that collect shoes ( atleast the ones that I met early in life) appreciated the architecture of the shoes, its origin, what inspired it,....etc. Today collecting is just simply saying you have 50 shoes in your closet and you know nothing about the shoes other than they the new J's...

Air Jaiden,

^
we don't hate you, we just don't like you - there's a difference...

but really, without disrespecting your argument, let me give an example for some perspective:

my father loves the 1955 Buick Roadmaster (a classic by the way when Buick was adifferent company & had true luxury models)
he grew up back then & it was his 1st car
now there are some younger dudes out there that love this car just as much, or know about it just as much or more
though it is welcome, especially by my father who can talk about cars all day, it is rare

this relates to Air Jordans & people's motivations
why should motivation matter? why do you like?

i'll be first one on here to tell you i like the shoes more than the player, always did - always said so
but don't be close-minded about it

Originally Posted by AceboogieDBF

miss the good ol days..... 98-2003 where you could get up at 8 and there be about 10-15 sneakers heads at the mall and everyone got what they needed and not just because they could resell em or because others got em

It was still like that even a year ago when the WC3 dropped. The concords really tripled the amount of sneakerheads..or should i say young resellers.

I gotta say OP has a few valid points, and I'm 18. I'm probably one of the rare ones though, as I don't have many Js (only 10), because I buy based more on need than want. And yeah the "sneaker culture" is dead, but not the consumerism.

Anyone 30 & older who's been into shoes since mid to late 80's are true originators to this whole sneaker phenomenon. We started buying stocks of shoes we simply just loved. We witnessed it all experienced it all. Some youngbucks will never understand. It wasn't just Jordans btw some of us rocked Troop, Ellesse, British Knights, Lotto to name a few.

BK's were awesome

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

It's a fad to you kiddo just admit it. You like J's because everyone else does and you wanna fit in. Show respect to the originators son.

Fad or not. I don't need to fit in with anybody. Most people can't even afford these overprice sneakers. And you guys are not the originators. MJ is the originator. I respect MJ.

Nothing wrong with respecting MJ, but the older generation are the originators when it comes to making Air Jordans hot to begin with. Sneaker culture and urban culture go hand in hand, and myself being 30 years old, can remember when Jordans were pretty much the ONLY status symbol of sneakers. The "old heads" didn't make the shoes, but we certainly flossed the hell out of them and helped build that brand into what it has become today.   

Preach.. At this point I'd love me to rock a pair of Avia Hi-tops.. And I cannot wait for Ewing retros to return this summer!.. I hated the Knicks but always loved Patrick Ewings kicks.. Never owned a pair but now I get a chance too..

I've been collecting since 1994, and I must say it is definitely much harder to purchase shoes now. I agree with the statement that it is now a fad.

I collect sneakers based off design,comfort,price and construction.Im a young adult and I just don't understand these lames I share a generation with dudes create false sneaker memories talking about I had this pair in my baby picture so I definitely need these .A generation full of straight cornballs and lames.All they do is stand in line and swap generic sneaker knowledge.They let Nike water down the Signature shoe line til the point Lebrons and Kobe's are the exact same shoes almost the exact same designs with no real difference .How do you buy 10 colors of the same shoe and lebron only wears like 3 colors of it.Nike is so boring now It's funny .Id rather buy new balance,Adidas,asics and reebok over Nike because quite frankly the gross hype you all have put on nike is disgusting all these young dudes buying because of walking Nike ads like Wale ,Fresh Prince,Instagram,Twitter or just plain embarrassing.It's so lame now it's not even funny I wish folks thought about why they copped kicks.

I grew up with .A.I ,Tmac,Kobe,Ray Allen,Tim Duncan,Yao Ming,Shaq,kg,lebron,melo .Mike is before a lot of yall time and y'all need to understand that.

The moment I seen Justin Bieber rocking black cement 3's... Game over man.. R.I.P... Dead dead dead...

For all you younger people here, please tell us older heads why you like Jordans so much? It is not because of what MJ did on the court.
I'm just lost to the reason why younger people camp, riot, fight, etc. over a shoe that was worn by a player you never seen play.

This can also be applied to Foams. How old were some of you in 1997?

Yeezy's and Lebrons I can fully understand, because these are people that you were looking up to at your age.

We are only upset because shoes that we grew up wearing or wanting are next to impossible to get because kids with no jobs or lives sleep outside stores because they feel

if they get the next retro Jordan, they are "cool". 
30t6p3b.gif

I am all for buying what you like, but know why you like it. "I like the way the shoes look" only goes but so far........

Originally Posted by bence23

It was still like that even a year ago when the WC3 dropped. The concords really tripled the amount of sneakerheads..or should i say young resellers.
Nah it changed when the DMP's first dropped, when i was high school and my first years of college it was cake and I graduated in 2001, when shoes came out during the week not saturdays we used to skip homeroom and 1st period to get the shoes and by the weekend they still had them even weeks after. When foams came out they sat on shelves cuz no one unless you were rich or sold drugs was buying the shoes they sat didnt go on sale but the pearls. only foams i remember selling out back then were the volts and the carbon fiber flights since they were a niketown exclusive thats when it was niketown.com not nikestore. now all these new kids out here done turned the game out and resellers killed it, its a damn shame shoes sell out in matter of minutes now lines for every single jordan release its ridiculous and with these last few releases especially the galaxies is crazy, shouldnt no god damn shoe make CNN headlines because of all the hype, my mom is a news reporter in dc and she even came home and asked me "were you in that line outside of pg plaza?" people are getting killed and robbed over those shoes" man thats crazy moms never knew about no shoes unless you got shot for your eddie bauer jacket back in the day and happened to have some jordans on. with the electric blues people were getting shot over someone even got shot over the LWPs the GR ones black and white. kids get your lives together ya'll dont even got jobs for real yall getting killed over your parents money. stupid kids leave the game alone and to you resellers get a real job, glad i got my connects. and if i miss out on a release oh well. ill just go buy some loud instead lls

Originally Posted by 45DE

Originally Posted by bence23

Nah it changed when the DMP's first dropped, when i was high school and my first years of college it was cake and I graduated in 2001, when shoes came out during the week not saturdays we used to skip homeroom and 1st period to get the shoes and by the weekend they still had them even weeks after. When foams came out they sat on shelves cuz no one unless you were rich or sold drugs was buying the shoes they sat didnt go on sale but the pearls. only foams i remember selling out back then were the volts and the carbon fiber flights since they were a niketown exclusive thats when it was niketown.com not nikestore. now all these new kids out here done turned the game out and resellers killed it, its a damn shame shoes sell out in matter of minutes now lines for every single jordan release its ridiculous and with these last few releases especially the galaxies is crazy, shouldnt no god damn shoe make CNN headlines because of all the hype, my mom is a news reporter in dc and she even came home and asked me "were you in that line outside of pg plaza?" people are getting killed and robbed over those shoes" man thats crazy moms never knew about no shoes unless you got shot for your eddie bauer jacket back in the day and happened to have some jordans on. with the electric blues people were getting shot over someone even got shot over the LWPs the GR ones black and white. kids get your lives together ya'll dont even got jobs for real yall getting killed over your parents money. stupid kids leave the game alone and to you resellers get a real job, glad i got my connects. and if i miss out on a release oh well. ill just go buy some loud instead lls
That 97-02 period....
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom