So Con Ed just dismissed 8,000 workers during the heat wave

[h1]Con Ed dismisses 8,000 employees, managers take over system as talks with union break down[/h1][h2]Talks broke down about 1 a.m., officials said. Discussions centered around wages, pension and other benefits.[/h2][h3]BY CORINNE LESTCH / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS[/h3][h5]http://assets.nydailynews...g/static/bg/header.png); text-transform: uppercase; line-height: normal; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); background-position: 0px -576px; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat; ">SUNDAY, JULY 1, 2012, 2:17 AM[/h5]

image.jpg
[h4]MARCUS SANTOS/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS[/h4][h4][/h4]
Con Edison command center in New York.

Negotiations broke down early Sunday between Consolidated Edison and its unionized workers, prompting the immediate dismissal of about 8,000 employees, utility officials said.

“We remain far apart,

Those guys just want to pretend they work at NASA.

Might want to put the whole story in here. They didn't exactly "dismiss" them as in fire them. They're simply locked out until both sides come to an agreement.

I never got why these negotiations always take place during the worst possible times other than to create a great headline and bargaining point for one side. This is only politics for the private sector.

these guys get paid mad dough, and they want to strike when people need them most? as the days go by people get more and more selfish
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Tha Flashy One

these guys get paid mad dough, and they want to strike when people need them most? as the days go by people get more and more selfish
grin.gif
This isn't about pay, as far as I know. It's about pension benefits. Im not even mad at them. Con Edison pretty much monopoly, and they're trying to use their power to squeeze whatever they can out of their employees. At the end of the day, you have to take care of yourself and your family, because none of us blasting our ACs all day and playing Xbox are gomna be there when these workers retire and can't survive with their pensions.

That's just how I feel. I felt the same way during the MTA strike, but as I get older I can see the other end of things.

why cant blue collar workers just stick the damn script.

These guys are always trying to achieve outsized outcomes

im a verizon worker and last year Con Ed came out to Support us...

I just came from Supporting them...this is bigger than just US (the private sector) trying to make more money...

our pensions
our health coverage
our retirement
our way of living in the MIDDLE CLASS

WE ARE BEING ATTACKED HERE IN THE MIDDLE CLASS AND IF WE DON'T STICK UP FOR OURSELVES AND THE REST OF YOU...WHO WILL?

Originally Posted by bigsupa

im a verizon worker and last year Con Ed came out to Support us...

I just came from Supporting them...this is bigger than just US (the private sector) trying to make more money...

our pensions
our health coverage
our retirement
our way of living in the MIDDLE CLASS

WE ARE BEING ATTACKED HERE IN THE MIDDLE CLASS AND IF WE DON'T STICK UP FOR OURSELVES AND THE REST OF YOU...WHO WILL?
Why do you still need a pension? 99% of companies have done away with it in favor of the 401K and contributing a percentage to that. What's wrong with the worker taking charge of their own retirement and just asking for a pay increase? For $200/mo ($1/hr) you can easily retire a multi-millionaire if you do that for 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom