So does putting chalk/powder on your hands actually help in basketball?

Guys like LeBron, Wade, Howard, Kobe and many other plays tend to always put chalk/powder on their hands before playing...
Does it actually help? What's the science behind it? What powder is it?
nerd.gif

School me on this powder.

It helps with grip I believe. We had a dude on our team who would always have sweaty hands, even if he isn't playing basketball. He would lose the ballwhile dribbling so he started using chalk.

I don't think I'd ever use it. I like my hands a little sweaty, so I always wipe my forehead or dab my chest so I can get some grip on the ball.

I like having chalk on it during the opening minutes cuz the ball is so dry....once the game starts going, and as the ball gets wetter, i like my hands to havea lil sweat so i touch my jersey

no mo

It has to be a powder like talcum powder. It can't be a slick powder like baby powder.

It doesn't help. People like James, Howard, Bryant, and Wade are just showing off to the world with their latest BS crap.

JR5

It's called magnesium carbonate; same "chalk" used by olympic lifters and powerlifters. I personallyuse it for heavier lifts where it's hard to hold a good grip (i.e. deadlifts). You'd be amazed how much stronger your grip feels when it's on yourhands. They have a deal going on at Bodybuilding.com
image-3498963-10523300
if you want to try it out (orfor the "cool" factor
wink.gif
). Just noticed they also have it inliquidform
image-3498963-10409943
... Wonder how that works.

Originally Posted by jflip

It's called magnesium carbonate; same "chalk" used by olympic lifters and powerlifters. I personally use it for heavier lifts where it's hard to hold a good grip (i.e. deadlifts). You'd be amazed how much stronger your grip feels when it's on your hands. They have a deal going on at Bodybuilding.com
image-3498963-10523300
if you want to try it out (or for the "cool" factor
wink.gif
). Just noticed they also have it in liquid form
image-3498963-10409943
... Wonder how that works.
cant wait for Lebron to start gettin his Randy Moss on and start squirtin the people at the scorers table.

I find it funny that people are making a big deal of this now.

The greatest player to ever play the game had been doing it since the early '90's, and nobody seemed to care. (Rest in peace, "Red")

Nike should've started the "chalk" campaign a couple decades ago.

Back
Top Bottom