So how did YOU get your job?

Let my unemployed ##% know
grin.gif

I'm very tired of Twittering(can i be twitter fam?
embarassed.gif
)/Facebooking/Doing my online classes all day....so bored that even the PS3 is dusty
indifferent.gif

And ive applied to 21 jobs...and got an astounding 2 call backs. And one I went to the wrong place for the interview (they didn't tell me where togo
indifferent.gif
) and said they'd call me back...only to never call.

So yeah help an NTer out
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

All my fellow Bum ##% NTer's convene here....

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Imma need that number of jobs to be higher next time you post.

like how many am i supposed to apply to no one is hiring
laugh.gif
this is 21jobs in 3 weeks...what more is there for me to do? Have you not noticed we're in a recession?

I did a test, got rank 1. went downtown for an interview. thought i did ok on that. didnt hear anything for like 2 weeks. I called them back and they toldme im hired.
pimp.gif

i work for the state. dept of public health in sac.

i better not get laid off
grin.gif

i just kept goin on interviews and calling back. eventually i got one.
smokin.gif

By setting myself apart from the rest of the applicants in the pile. Not just leaving 21 applications and waiting for a call back. You have to make it your jobto get a job.

You cant wait on other people to get what you want. Make it happen yourself, leave an application, call back, show up to the place in person, meet the hiringmanager, express your interests/skills. This will set you apart from someone in the same list of applicants that is sitting at home waiting for a call back.Now when that hiring manager looks through the list for someone to interview, they will have a face to put to a name.

And show up to the right place for an interview. Make it your responsibility. If i really wanted a job, I would make sure I knew where to go for an interview.You cant blame someone else for that. You should know where it is, when, how long its gonna take you to get there, how to dress, who you are interviewing with,and someting about the company. And be prepared with a few impressive questions to ask the interviewer.

Originally Posted by maxi320

By setting myself apart from the rest of the applicants in the pile. Not just leaving 21 applications and waiting for a call back. You have to make it your job to get a job.

You cant wait on other people to get what you want. Make it happen yourself, leave an application, call back, show up to the place in person, meet the hiring manager, express your interests/skills. This will set you apart from someone in the same list of applicants that is sitting at home waiting for a call back. Now when that hiring manager looks through the list for someone to interview, they will have a face to put to a name.

And show up to the right place for an interview. Make it your responsibility. If i really wanted a job, I would make sure I knew where to go for an interview. You cant blame someone else for that. You should know where it is, when, how long its gonna take you to get there, how to dress, who you are interviewing with, and someting about the company. And be prepared with a few impressive questions to ask the interviewer.
So it's my fault that they called ME. told ME to come in. Then promptly got off the phone? I went tot he location I knew of...the managerthere called to the head office then told me just go to that office. By the time I get there (properly dressed mind you...I know what to do in an interview),now the interview guy left and evidently didn't know I was coming.

Also some of these jobs explicitly state no calls.

So you let me know where that's my fault....please. and if we REALLY wanna take it there....I missed out on an Xm/Sirius internship cause I was busy with aslightly unimportant thing called "college in another state"...so showing up in person wasn't always an option. Take that inferring im lazy %+$+somewhere else...thanks!

But semi good advice...I GUESS.

I graduated, bummed around and vacationed for nearly a year (had money leftover from co-op jobs), then friends urged me to stop being a bum 'cuz they wereenvious (lol). Sent in 1 resume on a Thursday to appease them. Got called the next day for a phone interview, had a group interview (technical questions) thefollowing Monday, and final interview (where I was offered the job) with the department director on Tuesday. Started a couple weeks after.

But that was 3 years ago when times were good.

Originally Posted by Robby Valentino

laugh.gif
this is 21 jobs in 3 weeks...what more is there for me to do? Have you not noticed we're in a recession?

You cant find more than 21 jobs to apply to?

My apologies if you read that as me directing it towards you. I dont know you, so I can't rightfully call you lazy. The only part that was really directedtowards you were a few sentences in the last paragraph. I mean, you could have called back and verified the place and time is all im saying. Instead of leavingit with them abruptly getting of fthe phone with you. My overall reply was more of a general statement about some strategies to use in trying to get a job.Because I know a lot of people who call themselves trying hard to get a job when all they do is apply and sit and wait for a call.

As far as the jobs that state no calls, who cares? Call them anyway. The worst thing thing they could do is tell you not to call again, but at least someonewho works there will be familiar with your name. If it hasnt been working when you don't call, what would it hurt to try something new? Sometimes you haveto go against the grain.

I know what its like to be a college student in a different state. Tough break with XM/Sirius. Out of curiosity, did you ask to speak to someone who might havehad the pull to give you a phone interview for the time being, and meet with you in person when you got home? Sometimes you just can't take no for ananswer. You might have tried hard to get that position, I really don't know. But in that situation I would have at least tried e-mailing or calling a fewpeople and telling tham how interested/fit for the job I was, and how important it would be for me to have a phone interview so I could still be considered forthe position.

Heres how how I got my jobs

Nasdaq Intern: Just interviewed better than the rest of the kids i guess.

Summer program teacher: Same as above.

Gap: Applied in person, called back, showed up in person, expressed my interest in fashion. Sold myself as an asset to the company as opposed t ojust wanting ajob.

Prospecrive Nike intern: Emailed the corporate vice president of global brand management out of the blue expressing my interest in working for Nike. 2 weekslater he forwarded my email to his assistant and asked her to help me out. A few days later I recieved an email from the Marketing recruiter (with a smileyface in it. lol) . Set up a phone interview with her. Got contact informtion for the woman who hires in Marketing. Now I have 5 people at the company who havehad conversations about me, and know my intentions. I should be in a good position to get an internship next summer. Wish me luck.

And Good luck in your job search Robby Val. I wasnt tryna hate in my reply

My latest, job I sent my resume out to a bunch of companies. Got a reply. Went to the interview and they needed to replace the art coordinator who was on hisway out to start his own business. They hired me the same day.

Right place, right time. That was in January.

Last one, I was working at Lowes and had just started doing graphic design/illustration. A guy came to my register with a check that had a creative soundingname on it. I asked him what he did for a living then gave him my pitch right on the spot. He told me to come by. I got hired. Worked there for almost 4 years.

wasnt even really looking for a job
mom insisted i go to a job fair for starbucks end of last summer
i said f it and went anyways.
passed and i guess i stood out in the job fair out of hunnnndreds of people.
called me back 2 weeks later for an in store interview
me and some other dude out of 4 from the job fair got hired
been working as a starbucks barista ever since
pimp.gif

free coffee + 25+ hours a week + part time job w/ benifits + the
pimp.gif
of ladies that come in ftw

Originally Posted by maxi320

My apologies if you read that as me directing it towards you. I dont know you, so I can't rightfully call you lazy. The only part that was really directed towards you were a few sentences in the last paragraph. I mean, you could have called back and verified the place and time is all im saying. Instead of leaving it with them abruptly getting of fthe phone with you. My overall reply was more of a general statement about some strategies to use in trying to get a job. Because I know a lot of people who call themselves trying hard to get a job when all they do is apply and sit and wait for a call.

As far as the jobs that state no calls, who cares? Call them anyway. The worst thing thing they could do is tell you not to call again, but at least someone who works there will be familiar with your name. If it hasnt been working when you don't call, what would it hurt to try something new? Sometimes you have to go against the grain.

I know what its like to be a college student in a different state. Tough break with XM/Sirius. Out of curiosity, did you ask to speak to someone who might have had the pull to give you a phone interview for the time being, and meet with you in person when you got home? Sometimes you just can't take no for an answer. You might have tried hard to get that position, I really don't know. But in that situation I would have at least tried e-mailing or calling a few people and telling tham how interested/fit for the job I was, and how important it would be for me to have a phone interview so I could still be considered for the position.

Heres how how I got my jobs

Nasdaq Intern: Just interviewed better than the rest of the kids i guess.

Summer program teacher: Same as above.

Gap: Applied in person, called back, showed up in person, expressed my interest in fashion. Sold myself as an asset to the company as opposed t ojust wanting a job.

Prospecrive Nike intern: Emailed the corporate vice president of global brand management out of the blue expressing my interest in working for Nike. 2 weeks later he forwarded my email to his assistant and asked her to help me out. A few days later I recieved an email from the Marketing recruiter (with a smiley face in it. lol) . Set up a phone interview with her. Got contact informtion for the woman who hires in Marketing. Now I have 5 people at the company who have had conversations about me, and know my intentions. I should be in a good position to get an internship next summer. Wish me luck.

And Good luck in your job search Robby Val. I wasnt tryna hate in my reply
No don't apologize to me...I was being a *$%@...MY apologies I came on here in "You mad Doggie?" mode...you are VERY right and thankyou for your input

As for the XM/Sirius thing I was talking to the head guy "Ross" out here in NYC...he tried to pull me thru but I feel my lack of experience withaudio editing...and that I was in VA did me in. It was like they kept forgetting I was at school
grin.gif

Originally Posted by ev209

wasnt even really looking for a job
mom insisted i go to a job fair for starbucks end of last summer
i said f it and went anyways.
passed and i guess i stood out in the job fair out of hunnnndreds of people.
called me back 2 weeks later for an in store interview
me and some other dude out of 4 from the job fair got hired
been working as a starbucks barista ever since
pimp.gif

free coffee + 25+ hours a week + part time job w/ benifits + the
pimp.gif
of ladies that come in ftw

Isn't starbucks hard as hell?

grin.gif

embarassed.gif
)/Facebooking/Doing my online classes all day....so bored that even the PS3 is dusty
indifferent.gif

And ive applied to 21 jobs...and got an astounding 2 call backs. And one I went to the wrong place for the interview (they didn't tell me where to go
indifferent.gif

So yeah help an NTer out
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Call up family/friends and tell them you need help.

Last year, a friend of mine took me to meet up w/ a lady in her department b/c I was looking for a job.

We chopped it up for a while and I let her know my qualifications, but there was a hiring freeze so I couldn't get anything.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago, I got a call from that same lady who remembered me. She switched departments and needed someone w/ my exact qualifications.

She hooked me up w/ a job as a campus operator, which in turn, is leading to a 6-month temp job starting this summer at $2500/month.

Lord willing, that'll turn into a full-time position by December at $3000/month.

So it's all about letting people know what you want/need and hopefully they'll come through for you.

People are always willing to help, it's up to you to voice your needs tho.

Good luck on your search Robby!

laugh.gif
this is 21 jobs in 3 weeks...what more is there for me to do? Have you not noticed we're in a recession?

You cant find more than 21 jobs to apply to?

I mean I don't really know where to look other than the internet. The days of going from store to store are over...that's a total waste of time

So you're going to pass up going in store to ask if they're hiring because its a waste of time?

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

grin.gif

embarassed.gif
indifferent.gif

And ive applied to 21 jobs...and got an astounding 2 call backs. And one I went to the wrong place for the interview (they didn't tell me where to go
indifferent.gif

So yeah help an NTer out
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Call up family/friends and tell them you need help.

Last year, a friend of mine took me to meet up w/ a lady in her department b/c I was looking for a job.

We chopped it up for a while and I let her know my qualifications, but there was a hiring freeze so I couldn't get anything.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago, I got a call from that same lady who remembered me. She switched departments and needed someone w/ my exact qualifications.

She hooked me up w/ a job as a campus operator, which in turn, is leading to a 6-month temp job starting this summer at $2500/month.

Lord willing, that'll turn into a full-time position by December at $3000/month.

So it's all about letting people know what you want/need and hopefully they'll come through for you.

People are always willing to help, it's up to you to voice your needs tho.

Good luck on your search Robby!
Yeah that's true. I appreciate that

I wish I could go back to Wall Street this summer.

I've also tried Craigslist but most jobs want someone with a degree. I still have one year left to go. I need something bad hence the thread I made a whileback. I'm about to start calling my temp agency advisor to see if there's anything available even if it means doing physical labor. I've calledfriends in high places but even they are being truthful in that there is nothing out there at the time. I'd be more than willing to do some desk work andfiling.

Back
Top Bottom