So How Tough is Law School Really?

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

Originally Posted by lawless2387

As a 3L who will be graduating in a month and has no plans of practicing law at this point in life, I can tell you that law school can have its benefits if you do not want to practice. For example, I started a digital media agency during my 2L and law school provided me with the funding to help start my company. Now I also went to school in my home area and lived at home for two years to stack bread, but the information I learned during 1L was the most integral part of my legal education. To be honest, I feel that I could have left after my first year and made alot of money by now, but having ESQ by your name as a 25 year old helps boost your credentials as a business owner. I also can handle most legal work (i.e. drafting contracts, incorporating documents, operating agreements), although I still plan on retaining legal counsel if involved in litigation. I will be studying for the California bar this summer though, but only because I am a student rep for a bar prep course and my course is completely free (usually costs around $4,000). Going into law school, I thought I would be doing the big law thing, but after talking with associates and having a brother work at Simpson, Thatcher, Bartlett as a paralegal, I knew that the firm life was not for me. Public interest work is usually a better quality of life but the money isn't enough for my lifestyle choices. So entrepreneurship was the route for me. Hope this helps.
don't be that guy who actually puts ESQ by their name, it's one of the douchier things you can do. props to you though

Honest question, why is it that bad? 

Would you say the same regarding CPA?

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

As a 3L who will be graduating in a month and has no plans of practicing law at this point in life, I can tell you that law school can have its benefits if you do not want to practice. For example, I started a digital media agency during my 2L and law school provided me with the funding to help start my company. Now I also went to school in my home area and lived at home for two years to stack bread, but the information I learned during 1L was the most integral part of my legal education. To be honest, I feel that I could have left after my first year and made alot of money by now, but having ESQ by your name as a 25 year old helps boost your credentials as a business owner. I also can handle most legal work (i.e. drafting contracts, incorporating documents, operating agreements), although I still plan on retaining legal counsel if involved in litigation. I will be studying for the California bar this summer though, but only because I am a student rep for a bar prep course and my course is completely free (usually costs around $4,000). Going into law school, I thought I would be doing the big law thing, but after talking with associates and having a brother work at Simpson, Thatcher, Bartlett as a paralegal, I knew that the firm life was not for me. Public interest work is usually a better quality of life but the money isn't enough for my lifestyle choices. So entrepreneurship was the route for me. Hope this helps.
don't be that guy who actually puts ESQ by their name, it's one of the douchier things you can do. props to you though

Honest question, why is it that bad? 

Would you say the same regarding CPA?

to be 100% honest, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just kind of douchy. Just throw JD behind your name and keep it moving, let your resume/intellect speak for itself. when's the last time you saw a lawyer but ESQ after their name?

I was considering going to University of Louisville (ranked #100) but from this thread I can conclude that that's a bad idea. I want to practice some form of IP/Copyright law.

Originally Posted by ShoxBb433

I was considering going to University of Louisville (ranked #100) but from this thread I can conclude that that's a bad idea. I want to practice some form of IP/Copyright law.

it all depends man, its a good idea for some (bad idea for most though). How much debt would you be taking out? Honestly, unless its a top 5-10 school I wouldn't take 100K plus debt for it. Do you want to practice in Kentucky? schools like UL are definitely regional schools, unless you're top 2% don't plan on going to any major markets. Are you coming from a science/engineering background? Patent could be up your alley.

I can only speak based on my law school research and those in my family who practiced but I think attending LS is a bad idea for most people and I can say not attending is one of the best decisions I ever made. I would have been your typical law school applicant: went to a big state school, OK grades, soft major with no immediate prospects. I know I would have been miserable and debt ridden.

the pay & job security discrepancy is widening between "great" lawyers and the "average."

It just like the MBA situation.  If you really want it to make a difference, you better go to a top 8 school.

Honestly, as a practicing government prosecutor in a major northeast city, i say go if you know what you want to do. With that being said, i recommend those planning to go to law school to intern or work in a particular area of the law before they go, so they have focus as well as a goal. Law school has become less about the understanding and study of law, but rather a trade school in which student's goals is to secure employment post graduation.

If you think you would like to work in a large law firm, become a paralegal there. See the type of work, the type of people, the different practice areas. If you enjoy it and the lifestyle, kill the lsat and try to get into the best school you can. Study like a madman 1L and do well on your exams, don't be aspie during OCI, and perhaps you may land yourself a summer associate gig. Pending you do not mess that up and the economy doesnt radically shift for the worse, you will get an offer.

If you think you may like to work within public interest, intern for an organization you could see yourself working for post law school. You wouldnt believe how many people are welcomed back with open arms to the org they worked before they attended law school. Granted, an excellent reputation within the org will help.

If you think you would like to work within government intern, or become a paralegal for said agency.

If anyone has any questions about government work or being a state prosecutor, ask away.

y not join the military and become part of the JAG system and or is that super competitve nowadays too? if its already been mentioned carry on..

If you want it, go for it. I'm finishing up my first year and it's been a challenge, but if it's what you really want to do, then you won't really mind. The trouble comes from people going into law school solely for the money or to escape entering the "real world" for a few more years. A lot of people won't see the big bucks. The average law school grad is making something like $70k out of law school... keep in mind the big firms are paying $160k so having an average below half of that means a lot of people are probably only getting-by. However, if you want to practice law and it's a profession you'll really like to have then you may not mind an average lifestyle while doing what you love.

Don't totally believe the T14-or-bust stuff either. If you can network and score well at your school, you can still get the big starting salaries. Granted, going to a great school increases your chances and makes your networking requirement much lower, it's still possible at a lower-ranked school.

Anybody been through the JAG military program? Basically you graduate law school, join the military as a Judge Advocate and make around 80k doing legal work.

Originally Posted by ShoxBb433

Anybody been through the JAG military program? Basically you graduate law school, join the military as a Judge Advocate and make around 80k doing legal work.

getting JAG is just as tough as biglaw nowadays man. Yeah, its real out there

Originally Posted by bhergh

y not join the military and become part of the JAG system and or is that super competitve nowadays too? if its already been mentioned carry on..

I can only speak on the Navy / Marine Corps side but that program is redic competitive. they usually only have like 70 spots per FY, if even that.

i got a cousin thats an attorney at law, all i know is he got a BA in poly sci and then went to NYU for law, every time we visited his moms he would be in his room reading n stuff well worth it now he caked up dont know exactly but he good and his wife a doctor

but can someone explain to me what L1? L2? T5? T14? ESQ?

Originally Posted by Lalph Rauren

i got a cousin thats an attorney at law, all i know is he got a BA in poly sci and then went to NYU for law, every time we visited his moms he would be in his room reading n stuff well worth it now he caked up dont know exactly but he good and his wife a doctor

but can someone explain to me what L1? L2? T5? T14? ESQ?
L1 and L2 are first and second years of the law school. T5 and T14 are unofficial rankings of the supposed best law schools (they don't ever really change). ESQ is short for esquire or a fancy name for lawyer, i think. Im sure there is some technical definition im too lazy to comprehend.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Why would anyone want to go into law these days?

The market is super saturated, its tough to make partner, and you have a super stressful job until you get REALLY established.

my gf's sister was about to enter law school and bailed for this reason. she said, she couldn't even find para legal jobs since lawyers were even trying to take those positions. she's applying for nursing instead (a better option by far imo
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
)

Lulz.. let that man sautee... that's like saying "don't put a very hard accomplishment infront of your name cuz people will think you're bragging. As a matter of fact, don't even put Dr after you get your PhD "

Lol I didn't mean that I was going to place it by my name on everything.  I just meant that being an attorney and a business owner, people deal with you differently.  I also think that its douchier when lawyers call themselves Dr. XYZ, although technically they can.  After I pass the bar I will be rocking that ESQ joint for at least like a month on Twitter and FB though lol.  Just graduated on Saturday, so officially a Juris Doctor. #feelsgoodman 
pimp.gif

Lulz.. let that man sautee... that's like saying "don't put a very hard accomplishment infront of your name cuz people will think you're bragging. As a matter of fact, don't even put Dr after you get your PhD "

Lol I didn't mean that I was going to place it by my name on everything.  I just meant that being an attorney and a business owner, people deal with you differently.  I also think that its douchier when lawyers call themselves Dr. XYZ, although technically they can.  After I pass the bar I will be rocking that ESQ joint for at least like a month on Twitter and FB though lol.  Just graduated on Saturday, so officially a Juris Doctor. #feelsgoodman 
pimp.gif

what school did you go to?

just finished my first year....the material is not hard, but the amount of work is unreal. I would go to class, then spend about 5-6 hours in the library every night just reading and doing hw...finals week is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY....literally 10-11 hours of non stop studying every day

I'd love to go if I could find a way to cover the costs. I ain't bout that crazy corporate law life where everybody wants to make top dollar though. That life is too stressful. If I could get into a local law school (UMD or GMU, both are cheaper, especially for instate) and found a way to pay as little as I could, I'd go. Unfortunately I decided to overpay for my undergrad so I'm not peeping law schools til years from now.

Definitely interested in military or maritime law.

zmoney3 wrote:
just finished my first year....the material is not hard, but the amount of work is unreal. I would go to class, then spend about 5-6 hours in the library every night just reading and doing hw...finals week is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY....literally 10-11 hours of non stop studying every day

Basically what I hear from my friends who are in their first year. Not hard but it consumes your life. no partying, no part time job. just books....some still managed to party though
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom