So I just got Laid Off Today....

Here's a little advice I give everyone whose been laid off. Get another job and one that pays more money.

I don't work in the gaming world but Zynga did a similar huge layoff not to long ago. I know so many people that worked there and even some that moved to NYC to work and live there. I always knew Zynga would die down and it did and tons of people were affected. Just sucks how companies that don't know how to manage themselves only effect the workers and not the people who run it.

Sorry to hear that fam. But learn from it. Learn what it is about your skill level, personality, initiative, etc. that allowed the company to consider you expendable. Because while you were let go, there were plenty that kept their jobs. Think about what they did differently, and mold yourself into that kind of person for the future. Until we learn from our history, we are forced to repeat the same headaches. In all aspects, become better. Best of luck comrade.
That's probably not even the case. The company could be simply bleeding money and his position was expendable because someone else could pick up his responsibilities. Happens all the time.

Sorry to hear that fam. But learn from it. Learn what it is about your skill level, personality, initiative, etc. that allowed the company to consider you expendable. Because while you were let go, there were plenty that kept their jobs. Think about what they did differently, and mold yourself into that kind of person for the future. Until we learn from our history, we are forced to repeat the same headaches. In all aspects, become better. Best of luck comrade.
That's probably not even the case. The company could be simply bleeding money and his position was expendable because someone else could pick up his responsibilities. Happens all the time.

Right, but he still didn't make himself irreplaceable by learning other processes, like those that kept their positions did. He said already that he was quiet during presentations and always met expectations, 'met' is not somebody that's irreplaceable. When those are the things you're doing, you aren't necessarily going above and beyond, you're just going with the flow and the flow can get you laid off. I always smirk when I hear people complain about job security, there's ways to earn job security, wherever, at least over others in the same position, if you're willing to put in the time and effort. Most people aren't. (Not a shot at OP, by any means, I know not of his work ethic, I'm speaking generally)

Take this as a lesson learnt.

If you're employer had to pick someone to lay off, would they pick the employee that showed initiative or the guy that just met expectations?

Keep your head up.

I understand what you mean. TBH the reason why I feel liberated is that we were recently working on projects that I just wasn't 100% with in terms of passion and interest. That's in addition to my actual position which I knew I couldn't see myself doing in the long run. Sure, I could take the initiative, but deep down inside there was nothing really pushing me to do it. I guess you could say thats a sign that I needed to look for another job.

Right, but he still didn't make himself irreplaceable by learning other processes, like those that kept their positions did. He said already that he was quiet during presentations and always met expectations, 'met' is not somebody that's irreplaceable. When those are the things you're doing, you aren't necessarily going above and beyond, you're just going with the flow and the flow can get you laid off. I always smirk when I hear people complain about job security, there's ways to earn job security, wherever, at least over others in the same position, if you're willing to put in the time and effort. Most people aren't. (Not a shot at OP, by any means, I know not of his work ethic, I'm speaking generally)

No offense taken, I wasn't going above and beyond. Not to say I was just being comfortable, but I didn't really see myself in this position for the rest of the year which is why I was interviewing with other firms the past few months. Just hoped I could've ended it on my own terms or at least with another job in hand :rolleyes

You won.. worked there 2 years and get paid til end of June plus 10 weeks severance?

You good.. and got plenty of time to find a new job

Hey man, I just heard about what happened. Keep your head up. I will contact you after a couple of meetings.

Happened to me in 09 during the crash, sucked at the time but it was the best thing to happen to me.

Recommendation:
Update Resume
Update Linkedin Account
Update other job posting sites
Reach out to headhunters / consultant companies
Reach out to your network
Apply to internal jobs

Do not take the severance as a lump sum or you will have to pay bonus takes on them.

Hit me up if you have any other questions or want to chat

Happened to me in 09 during the crash, sucked at the time but it was the best thing to happen to me.

Recommendation:
Update Resume
Update Linkedin Account
Update other job posting sites
Reach out to headhunters / consultant companies
Reach out to your network
Apply to internal jobs

Do not take the severance as a lump sum or you will have to pay bonus takes on them.

Hit me up if you have any other questions or want to chat

Can you tell me a little more about your layoff story? (You can PM if you would like)

I was thinking of reaching out to a headhunter as applying to jobs online (especially company sites) seems like a waste.

Take this as a lesson learnt.

If you're employer had to pick someone to lay off, would they pick the employee that showed initiative or the guy that just met expectations?

Keep your head up.

I understand what you mean. TBH the reason why I feel liberated is that we were recently working on projects that I just wasn't 100% with in terms of passion and interest. That's in addition to my actual position which I knew I couldn't see myself doing in the long run. Sure, I could take the initiative, but deep down inside there was nothing really pushing me to do it. I guess you could say thats a sign that I needed to look for another job.

No offense taken, I wasn't going above and beyond. Not to say I was just being comfortable, but I didn't really see myself in this position for the rest of the year which is why I was interviewing with other firms the past few months. Just hoped I could've ended it on my own terms or at least with another job in hand :rolleyes

Yea I definitely feel. Complacency grows from lack of motivation, happens to everyone. Surprise layoffs blow, for both the employee being laid off and the manager executing them. Necessary evil sometimes. Just stay optimistic about your future bro. You're your only obstacle, I'm sure you'll be back on your feet and running in no time, and hopefully in a position that you love, or at least a company you can foresee some growth with.

Can you tell me a little more about your layoff story? (You can PM if you would like)

I was thinking of reaching out to a headhunter as applying to jobs online (especially company sites) seems like a waste.

I will PM you the layoff story when i get back to the crib today.

Headhunters and recruiters are the way to go. Applying online is typically a waste of time. My wife actually got hired via her linkedin profile so i recommend folks to always keep that updated. I still get emails from recruiters with an 5 year outdated resume on careerbuilder and monster, so make sure you update those. Also clean up facebook/twitter accounts because a lot of companies are searching though sites before hiring.

what part of the country are you in?

Sorry to hear about that OP.

For the record though, restrain from talking during meetings. Who knows, it may have had a part in your getting laid off. May have not, but again, it's no something you want to be doing anyway.

Sorry to hear, sir.  Layoffs no doubt suck.  Keep yourself limited on spending because you never know when a job will call you back.  Keep that positive attitiude and don't look at it as something you lost, but a experience.

Sorry to hear that OP... Good luck fam. Stay positive and apply like crazy.

Do you think they wrongfully terminated you?

Well there have always been layoffs ever since I started with the company, so I'm not 100% surprised. First layoff I heard about, I even asked myself if I picked the right company to work for. I work in the Financial Services industry so its a reoccurring thing.

Yea I definitely feel. Complacency grows from lack of motivation, happens to everyone. Surprise layoffs blow, for both the employee being laid off and the manager executing them. Necessary evil sometimes. Just stay optimistic about your future bro. You're your only obstacle, I'm sure you'll be back on your feet and running in no time, and hopefully in a position that you love, or at least a company you can foresee some growth with.

Thanks man. Def staying optimistic, I think I'm going to be a bit more selective on the next job I apply for. When I was applying for jobs during my last semester of college, I was applying for everything just because I wanted a job before a I graduated. Now I know that "Fit" and actually having passion/interest is very important.

I will PM you the layoff story when i get back to the crib today.

Headhunters and recruiters are the way to go. Applying online is typically a waste of time. My wife actually got hired via her linkedin profile so i recommend folks to always keep that updated. I still get emails from recruiters with an 5 year outdated resume on careerbuilder and monster, so make sure you update those. Also clean up facebook/twitter accounts because a lot of companies are searching though sites before hiring.

what part of the country are you in?

East Coast. Mid Atlantic.

Keep your head up OP. Maybe it was meant to happen so you can get a better job. My dad got laid off when I was a kid and he had to support a wife and two kids. But he kept working hard, never gave up, and eventually found a better job, which then lead to other jobs that were better than his last.

Whatever you do, you should not pay headhunters or recruiters. The real ones will actively look for jobs for you because they get a commission once a position gets filled.

Good luck!

Really sorry to hear that bro. Happened to me as well. Its always a shame when companies consider their bottom line over the faithful workers that got them there. Sometimes its necessary to survive. But when huge multi-national, multi billion dollar companies do it, only for the luxury of paying themselves huge bonuses its especially insidious.

On the bright side, from what you say, its seems like this was the right time for this to happen in your life. You seem relatively young, college educated, got a nice cushion in the form of a pretty good severance package and you say your passion for your work was dwindling as well. And one thing that can make you miserable is working at a job that you hate or even have real discontent for. Im confident you will be fine

repped for proper usage

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom